Is Headphone Listening The Future?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by RDD, Aug 19, 2003.

1. RDD

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Hello Dom,

Benwell is an area in the West end of Newcastle about 2 miles outside of the city, which is surrounded by equally bad slums like Elswick, Cruddas Park, Fenham and Scotswood. Basically, in a straight 4 mile distance going west from the city centre, its just like a big shanty town (well almost). Benwell is probably most famous for the riots of 1990 (IIRC), riots which actually started at Meadow Well Estate in North Sheilds, but soon spread all over town. The news made it sound as if it was because of a joyrider who was killed after being chased by Police, but I know someone who used to be a plod, and he believed it was the work of a large organised gang on Tyneside to make the Police stretched to breaking point while people burgled other areas on Tyneside, knowing there'd be no police to stop them. Sounds more likely to me. The fires could be seen for many miles around...

Anyway, the particular area of Benwell has been on the demolition list for ages, and is so rough, no one wants to live there, not even some of the scum! My mate used to live there, but he moved away when he got knifed. Incidentally, I think the price is about 50p per house, plus a grant to do it up, but I dont believe theres been many takers. I think they actually do put bogus asylum seekers there, because no-one else lives there, and parts of it look a bit like Bangladesh anyway, so they'll feel right at home.

PBirkett, Aug 20, 2003
  2. RDD

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Ahh - the sink estate they forgot to pull the plug on hey? :)

Sounds nice - they should seriously put a big wall round it and fill it (more) full of crims...

I agree with ex-plod - sounds like a good way of scoring some free goods a'la the LA riots...

domfjbrown, Aug 21, 2003
Ask a Question