Just listened to a 12k SACD system

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Mr_Sukebe, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Mr_Sukebe

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Matt you jest mate, if you've heard 4bst, then this, well no competition really. :D

wadia-miester, Sep 15, 2003
  2. Mr_Sukebe

Matt F

Well, here's the thread mate so have a read for yourself:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=92972

The guy in question is usually a pretty good judge of these things (and I don't think he's on commission!). What is amusing is some of the advice he was given in his hunt for a quality power amp.

Matt.

Matt F, Sep 15, 2003
  3. Mr_Sukebe

Well matt having owned one, I feel I can comment, they shite (at what was required, especialy at the time for £2500, used for £1300) :D it lasted 7 days, even Graham N (who owned a M/F M3 at the time) coined the pharse 'Turdgid' (I have ownd an M3 too, and twas far far better than a 308P/A), and it's more than apt, however it does have one redeeming feature, it has an A/V bybass button, to enable you to swop inputs, fair play nice touch, usual m/f stuff, good build, very heavy, smooth, clean good mid band, big bass, but slow bloated, and mis timed, and well totaly uninteresting, listening panel on the day Lilolee,robbo,Grahamn,Timpy and myself, last october, To be fair though matt, very few a/v guys know what a good stereo sound is, so maybe thats one explaination, or failing that he actualy likes, no accounting for taste, or the un sold M/F 308 series adorning Sevenoaks et al show rooms, now to counter balance, the X-200 mono's are quite good, and have life and drive, a world away from the 308 gear, far more preferable, even had the 250 monos, powerful lifeless dross, these are my hard rules for this stuff not opinions

Just looked at the thread, Mr Rhoads speaks volumes.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2003
  4. Mr_Sukebe

Matt F

Fair enough Tone - I didn't know you'd actually owned one.

This is all quite odd in that case as I consider both yourself and Nic to be gurus (certainly as far as amps are concerned) and, if anything, Nic is probably more into stereo than AV.

Maybe every A308 is different? I doubt it.

It would be good however, if you could post your thoughts on the thread in question over at avforums - might give that thread a bit more balance.

Matt.

Matt F, Sep 15, 2003
  5. Mr_Sukebe

Matt, sorry to be so blunt, I do have a pet hate of M/F, and most of the guys Know this, I'll be fair the 308 is, Well built, big chuncky construction, (blue lights), nice terminals (although the lack of balanced at this price point is puzzling), very clean and smooth sound, upper freq's are open and airy with good speration, power is good too, never feels like it's straining, bass is big and room filling, it's inoffensive and safe. Entertaing NO, it's like all the energy and life from the preformance has been surgicaly removed, the bass although big, is bloated, and slow, timing is something that the 308 series, just doesn't seem to do at all.
    The Pre-amp isn't bad, it's fairy transparent and ok.
    We did a head to head with a few power amps, but it just didn't cut the mustard, it's good with orchestral pieces, female vocals, acoustics, and some of the smoothest sounds I've ever heard came from a trivista cdp and valves on those duval speakers, so they have the following, as for a/v, I though dynamics and slam we top of the list?, the Bryston can be a touch dry in the mids, but it's far more life and vitality, but you guys should be looking at the new class 't' stuff thats coming out now, really will shake up your thoughts on amps, and then so. Tone

6. Mr_Sukebe

Matt F

Thanks for your thoughts again Tone. I must say that for me, Bryston would be top of the wishlist - a second hand/ex dem 9BST would be just the ticket. Then again that Belcanto EVO6 would seem to be a fine choice too.

Back in the real world (with real money) I suspect I will end up going for something like an ex-dem Rotel RMB1095 (5x200) or Parasound HCA2205 (5x220!).

The only other multi channel amp that has caught my eye is the (£1750) Linn 5125 - seen a few ex-dems at £1200 ish which looks quite good and the size of the thing (it's tiny) appeals to me as I don't have huge amounts of room. No idea how good it is though.

Apologies for taking this thread off kilter by the way.

Matt.

Matt F, Sep 15, 2003
  7. Mr_Sukebe

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

They're great, and good value for money, IMHO. I've got two of them. But then I'm mostly a Linnie anyway so I would say that.

SteveC

SteveC, Sep 15, 2003
Ask a Question