Large v Small speakers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by RobHolt, Apr 24, 2011.

1. RobHolt

speedy.steve

Hi Joe, yes, things got rather horny. Blame Mr Coco!

speedy.steve, May 6, 2011
  2. RobHolt

Marco1408 Vintage Tannoy Enthusiast

Hi Rob,

I think that's it in a nutshell, especially as any notion of achieving absolute accuracy with ANY loudspeaker, is all but a pipedream...

The fact is, with loudspeakers or anything else in audio, all we're effectively doing is choosing our favoured 'flavour' of coloration, and therefore it's simply a matter of choosing our compromises.

I of course am a big vintage Tannoy fan, and own a pair of Lockwood Majors, fitted with 15" Monitor Golds. They also have completely redesigned crossovers, using top quality components, and have been rewired with VDH cable, and I think the results I've achieved are rather good.

They do the 'big speaker thing' with aplomb (slam, scale, effortlessness), yet to my ears also possess the delicacy and intimacy which quality stand-mount speakers excel at, perhaps mainly because of the kind of 'big-headphone effect' I get in my small-ish room :)

Hi Tony,

Yeah, only ugly speakers sound any good! ;)

My Lockwoods aren't exactly 'lookers' either, but they work well enough.

I'd be interested to know how you get on, as quite frankly, upgrading the crossovers on my MGs transformed them into totally different speakers! I simply couldn't have lived with how they sounded with the original crossovers.

One thing that's come on leaps and bounds in audio is the quality of electrical components, such as capacitors and resistors - there is simply no comparison with vintage offerings, and of course regardless of quality, the 40 year old capacitors inside MGs, and such like, are going to be long past their sell-by date!

Anyway, I'm glad that you've found a pair of vintage Tannoys which have hit the spot, and am sure that the forthcoming crossover upgrade will release even more of their potential.

Marco.

Marco1408, May 8, 2011
  3. RobHolt

RobHolt Moderator

Hi Marco,

We need pictures :)

I like both big and ugly, and small and pretty.
    It's the stuff in the middle that's the problem.

RobHolt, May 8, 2011
  4. RobHolt

Marco1408 Vintage Tannoy Enthusiast

Lol - indeed!

Me ol' wardrobes 'in action' in the AoS room at last year's Scalford Hall show:

[​IMG]

I'll take some updated pics of them in situ at home tomorrow and pop them up :)

Marco.

Marco1408, May 8, 2011
Ask a Question