Less is more?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by michaelab, Nov 19, 2004.

1. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Well, I went to Ian's today to compare my DAC with his 47 Labs Shigaraki. I'm not going to do a long writeup largely because there's nothing to write about. We fairly quickly concluded there was no appreciable difference between them. On at least one occasion Ian switched DACs mid track and I didn't even notice. So, after that little bit of geekery was over we just ended up listening to a lot of great music :)

I have to admit I'm now seriously considering getting a TT. Not for sonic reasons, but for getting access to a lot of music that's not available on CD.

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 5, 2004
  2. michaelab

sideshowbob Trisha

Mine was a touch louder. Otherwise there was nothing in it.

So, pop pickers, £100 will get you a most excellent DAC. Even less if you DIY. You might as well all buy or build one.

An excellent plan ;-)

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Dec 5, 2004
  3. michaelab

Robbo

Nice one chaps.

Excellent news for those who want to build up a decent system on a budget.

Robbo, Dec 5, 2004
  4. michaelab

merlin

Brought your own over with you then Michael :confused:

Seriously, that sounds like a great result for the little box. I suspect there will be a lot of users on the forum soon - not surprising at that price. And the TT is an excellent idea too. Get one with a perspex platter and place one of those blue fibre optics behind it to match the Dac :)

merlin, Dec 5, 2004
  5. michaelab

Robbo

Aren't you selling a TT at the moment merlin? ;)

Robbo, Dec 5, 2004
  6. michaelab

merlin

Funnily enough Robbo yes, but I'm sure Michael has his own ideas on the aestetic he is looking for ;)

Still I've always wanted to try the blue backlight idea myself :D

merlin, Dec 5, 2004
  7. michaelab

analoguekid Planet Rush

That's why I've taken the plunge.

analoguekid, Dec 5, 2004
  8. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Don't want to start the same music argument has happened over on PFM but no, we listened mostly to Ian's music and I enjoyed all of it. Even came away with a "Nurse with wound" CD-R (would have gone and bought it but it's apparently hard to get hold of).

Re the TT, I'll probably start a separate thread about it but I have some rather choice restricting requirements (well, one really):

Whatever TT I get must have a cover, preferably hinged, and preferably one that can be closed whilst a record is playing without adverse effects. The reason for this is two lively cats that regularly use the top surface of anything (my speakers, the Teac, the TV) as a perch or landing/launching pad :) . I doubt there are many TTs even with a cover that could handle a cat landing on them whilst playing a record but at least the damage would be limited to the record and maybe the cart.

In the budget I'm thinking of the only non s/h options that immediately come to mind are a Rega, probably P5 or P7. I know I could get a s/h LP12 which would also fulfill the requirements but TBH I'm not sure I want to get into the whole LP12 thing and it's myriad configurations which probably make getting a decent s/h one a bit of a minefield, not to mention that the continuing hype surrounding them probably makes the overpriced.

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 5, 2004
  9. michaelab

merlin

Michael,

you should still be able to get hold of a UniCover which sits on the shelf and covers the deck.

That way you won't be limited to Rega and can consider the likes of Michell, Scheu and Nottingham Analogue as well. Oh and why not mount the TT well away from any adjacent surfaces on a wall shelf from Project or Target? At least make the cats work for it!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2004
    merlin, Dec 5, 2004
  10. michaelab

Paul Ranson

It's an oldie, but,
    [​IMG]

Come on, you know you want to...

Paul

Paul Ranson, Dec 5, 2004
  11. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

A wall shelf is certainly something I'd consider, even a Mana one (I'm not kidding), but it would be tricky to put it out of reach of the cats and it might be better to make it something they could "step" onto rather than have to "land" onto after a 6ft leap :D

Haven't UniCover gone out of business?

Anyway, it's early days. I've got to add another input to my preamp first since it only has 1 XLR and 2 RCA and the 2 RCAs are now used for CD and AV (I used to use the XLR for the DAC64). Fortunately adding a 3rd RCA input will be trivial as the rear panel already has the holes (they're blanked off with plastic) and wiring the RCAs upto the input selection switches is a doddle. I'm not going to rush into anything :)

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 5, 2004
  12. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Paul, I just knew you were going to post that picture :D . An LP12 would give me some credibility on PFM though...

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 5, 2004
  13. michaelab

stickman

14. michaelab

Paul Ranson

I have had cats leap onto the LP12 when it's been playing with the lid off and everything has survived. Tends to turn the power amp off though. The implication is that you'd be fine with a trendy plastic wanktastic...

But I'd go for a Rega. You being a comfortably off sort of chap should just buy a P9. I suppose you could start with a P3 to get into the swing of things. But don't mess about searching for second hand ones, or with spurious 'upgrades'. £298 brand new and ready to go. Add an Audio Technica from http://www.lpgear.com/

[​IMG]

I need some new cat pics.

Paul

Paul Ranson, Dec 6, 2004
  15. michaelab

julian2002 Muper Soderator

michael,
    i've pm'ed you....
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Dec 6, 2004
  16. michaelab

sideshowbob Trisha

Damned right. Or if you must spend less a P5 or ex-dem P25 at the very least. (P25s look much nicer than P5s.)

Anyone who wants a copy of the Nurse With Wound (Salt Marie Celeste, great record), Amazon will sell you one for $51.99. Sheesh.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00008NGM5/103-3547835-1831822?v=glance

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Dec 6, 2004
  17. michaelab

merlin

I seem to recall you bringing that over to me on a CDR Ian?

Can't have been that good - I can't remember it. I do however remember the Faust, Zorn and Donna Summer ;)

merlin, Dec 6, 2004
  18. michaelab

Lawrie

Keepin' it real, right here in Lawrieville.
    Michael,

I'd just like to say, welcome to the Vinyl Brotherhood (in advance ;)). I knew it was only a matter of time.:D Btw, if you are considering the Rega P5/P7, why not consider the VPI Scout that is for sale on this forum. I have to say though that I am surprised that such a superb sounding deck at that price is still up for sale and hasn't been grabbed by someone.

I believe that by looking for TTs that come as standard with a cover and hinges, you will be limiting your (sonic) options. So how about the following link for a VPI Scout with a cover? You can buy the covers easily on the net and thereby widen your choices. http://www.gingkoaudio.com/images/PLINTHTOPCASE2.JPG

Enjoy the music,

Lawrie.:D

Lawrie, Dec 6, 2004
  19. michaelab

analoguekid Planet Rush

20. michaelab

sideshowbob Trisha

sideshowbob, Dec 6, 2004
Ask a Question