Live music - how can you tell?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by michaelab, Jun 22, 2003.

1. michaelab

Rodrigo de Sá This club's crushing bore

Rodrigo de Sá, Jun 24, 2003
  2. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

A superb post indeed! I will ask titian if I can reproduce it here...

EDIT: Indeed I can, so here it is:

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 24, 2003
  3. michaelab

lowrider Live music is surround

"Ambience" is fairly well achieved with a good surround system and DPLII... :MILD:

lowrider, Jun 24, 2003
  4. michaelab

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

That and the people chatting noisily through the whole show about their friends sad lives/diy/what beer to go and get/how long before the end they should leave to avoid traffic. I can't understand why people pay good £ to go to a show and talk about this stuff. At least at loud rock gigs you don't hear them!

ilockyer, Jun 24, 2003
  5. michaelab

In answer to Titian, I wrote the following:

Rodrigo de Sá, Jun 25, 2003
  6. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

RdS - I've done as you suggested and put titian's post here aswell as your reply and deleted the other thread.

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 25, 2003
  7. michaelab

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Ah, just what I like. Some nice light reading! Nothing quite like it for helping to fight off a hangover :D

MO!, Jun 25, 2003
  8. michaelab

boxsoft

Live music tends to be louder, and often tonally screwed up, but it's the lack of extreme compression that enables you to discern "Live vs. Memorex".

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

boxsoft, Jun 26, 2003
  9. michaelab

dominicT former member

dominicT, Jun 26, 2003
  10. michaelab

I know the Shahinian pretty well. I had two pairs at home for a couple of weeks. They are great (the Arcs particularly) but I think they are made to sound in an enourmous room - say 12*8*4m, with very beefy amplifiers. That said, they sounded gorgeous with the Jadis SE valve amplifier.

Of course I didn't mean pop music is recorded to be played by midi systems. By mid-fi I mean the rather good Nads, Yamahas and Rotels (I have two subsidiary systems: an all Nad one and a Nad/Yamaha/Rogers one -they sound rather good). But of course, it is not High Fidelity in the sense that a Krell or a Konrad Jonhson or a Lavardin is.

So sorry if I mislead you. In the context-high end 1000 000 000£ Hifh Fi-de-li-ty - even a serious sounding Roksan is considered midfi...

Hifi is a very snobish ladden field... I agree you can have your pleasure with music with a modest system. I often listen to my 'lesser' systems and I am quite contented...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2003
    Rodrigo de Sá, Jun 26, 2003
  11. michaelab

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

RDS I understand you plight only to well, my system's postively midfi and pales in to dust in realation to my brother Martain's hum dinger of a system, however I still have to kick him out, when he visits and I want to go bed :( , great for impressing the visiting exec's and impressionable calllow hifi guys', although now his new one is :acoustic: pretty spectacular, I still do like the music, and so it appears does he. Tone

wadia-miester, Jun 26, 2003
  12. michaelab

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

ok heres one to throw into the mix,this evening we had a youth showcase at work,most were singing to backing tracks of various quality,a live band a girl with acustic quitar and a dance troop using commercial cds(must get mezzaneen? who was it by again?wicked bass line on angle)most of yesterday was spent sound checking and rehersing (they still changed the running order with minutes of starting ,a busted raidio mic annd leaving the smoke machine on a fraction too long[​IMG]) but anyway the diffrence between live and recorded/live was very noticable.
    live volume levels were much louder ,drum kit with wana be cozzy powel in charge,whoo know were rocking :D no distortion ,well apart from when"i wanna be hendrix"adds it,backing tracks with live vocals were quiter,you could tell the difference,sort of lack of energy,but again mostly very lisanable,the girl on accustic guitar was even quiter but nothing was lost,yes we add some help to the quitar,but it didnt need much,the raw cds were exallent :D especially messaneen[​IMG]you could tell the diffrence how i dont know answeres on a post card to

themadhippy, Jun 28, 2003
  13. michaelab

HenryT

Massive Attack? :)

HenryT, Jun 28, 2003
  14. michaelab

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

thats the one:D certainly tested the subs:JOEL:

themadhippy, Jun 28, 2003
  15. michaelab

MO! MOnkey`ead!

A song that once you've heard it go realllllyyyyy loooowwwwww, you know how it should/could be sounding on your kit!

Quality stuff!

MO!, Jun 28, 2003
  16. michaelab

WadiaMonster:

How could a Wadia's based system be midfi? The Belcanto is expensive, too. And what about the Meadowlarks and Valleythrushes? And all that expensive cabling, tubular pneumatic supports and stuff.

Or did you throw all that away, given it to paupers and went Franciscan? (And now have a Rotel based system and a Fiat Punto)?

:notworthy :JOEL:

:D :D

Rodrigo de Sá, Jun 28, 2003
  17. michaelab

Mad Hippy:

Interesting considerations. If you look closer, you'll see we say more or less the same. of course I hate mezanine kind of stuff, but that is irrelevant: I'm talking about the difference between live and recorded sound.

Live sound is louder, less distorted and clearer, even when it seems quite low level it is quite loud and clearly heard.

Rodrigo de Sá, Jun 28, 2003
  18. michaelab

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Rds, my word most unlike you, I was merely replying to your earlier post in the thread, oh you beastly man :) .

Rds, wrote in earlier......

By mid-fi I mean the rather good Nads, Yamahas and Rotels (I have two subsidiary systems: an all Nad one and a Nad/Yamaha/Rogers one -they sound rather good). But of course, it is not High Fidelity in the sense that a Krell or a Konrad Jonhson or a Lavardin is.

So sorry if I mislead you. In the context-high end 1000 000 000£ Hifh Fi-de-li-ty - even a serious sounding Roksan is considered midfi...

Hifi is a very snobish ladden field... I agree you can have your pleasure with music with a modest system. I often listen to my 'lesser' systems and I am quite contented...

I was just making a comparision, between my system and my brother's, as in it makes mine sound very Mifi, that was all, oh how words are misconstrood. :rolleyes:

Rds continued with .........

How could a Wadia's based system be midfi? The Belcanto is expensive, too. And what about the Meadowlarks and Valleythrushes? And all that expensive cabling, tubular pneumatic supports and stuff.

The entire system, cables and all, was a awful lot less than you think, due to a keen eye for a bargin, and WM's bartering skills.
    hope that helps

:)

wadia-miester, Jun 29, 2003
  19. michaelab

I understood what you say, Wadia Monster (I hope people will call you that in the future :D ; besides your signature should be 'the club's authorized pit-bull').

And I agree with you that really high-end is often pure masturbatory activity.

But suppose I buy a super Konrad-Jonhsn and a super Elgar whatever dirt cheap. It will still be high-end. The other fellow may be a high-idiot, but my gear will still be high-end.

And I also agree people waste too much money on hifi. You are a clever fellow, and so you got a lot of expensive gear cheaply. But that doesn't mean your systen is not high-end. Of course, you brother's may be of the masturbatory kind (the impotent Sultan's harem kind of stuff - I don't mean to doubt your brother's manhood - gracious me!! It is an example ;) ).

Anyway, I was just pulling your leg. It sometimes just begs to be pulled:D :D .

Your posts enliven this forum. It would be quite morose and dull without your grumbling and strongly coloured opinions. :JPS:

And on top of that you like the Porsches... :MILD:

Rodrigo de Sá, Jun 30, 2003
  20. michaelab

Bump?

This is a very interesting question. As a matter of fact, I think it is the most important question regarding hifi.

Rodrigo de Sá, Jul 4, 2003
Ask a Question