Mains cable upgrade on budget kit

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by amazingtrade, Nov 30, 2003.

1. amazingtrade

analoguekid Planet Rush

Paul

It would cost at least £10 for the plugs you need.

Have a look at Sid&Cokes website there is a recipe for making sids posh power cord, braiding simple cable from maplins so that each LNE have 3x24.2 conductors all braided, sid also used nylon sheathing but this was more for aestthetics and costs between £15-20 for 10m, I tried it a while ago and it seemed to offer more bass better body and cleaner sound?, Pretty easy to do once you leran how to br4aid, does kinda hurt the fingers tho, the best thing about this is mappers sells this cable off the shelf in little 10m bags, you need about 3.5 m of each to make 2m finishe d cord, this cost roughly £2.50 for 10m lenght, you would need 3 of these of ie 1 each of Blue(or black)Red(or brown) and green/yellow, plus the plugs say £1.50 for MK wall plug and another £1.50 for cheapish IEC connector plus about £2 for female connector, thats about the cheapest you could do it for. IMHO

analoguekid, Jun 27, 2004
  2. amazingtrade

BlueMax

Here is a post that challenge the claim; ferrites on mains cables will affect high frequencies.

To be honest, it seems more than a little unlikely given they are talking about ferrites on the power cords. The suggestion is contradicted by the method of operation of the power supply and the circuits themselves. Audio equipment is almost always DC powered internally, it's frequency response is derived from the operation of the circuit, not the frequency of the supply.

Consider a "perfect" ferrite that removed all 'HF garbage' above 50/60Hz - what you'd be left with would be pretty much the theoretical ideal supply of a pure sine wave. The claims seems to suggest that this will sound worse. Rather an unusual claim don't you think?

If there really is such a dip in HF response with ferrites on the power cord, it will be utterly trivial to demonstrate with a frequency repsonse measurement. That no-one does so is rather telling.........

“TNT TTS Mains Cable†thread at HFC Forum
    http://forum.hifichoice.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=10569&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
    May 18, 2004 by Adb

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2004
    BlueMax, Jun 27, 2004
  3. amazingtrade

Wingnut

I've just made some Merlino's with ferrites at each end. Rather than truncate the high frequency I think it made my CD player sound more 'tizzy' which hopefully will reduce as the cable burns in. There is more 'airyness' to the sound which I like.

As Snoo said, it seems to make more of a difference to the CD player than the high current devices such as my amps and sub.

Wingnut, Jun 27, 2004
  4. amazingtrade

Kelly Unregistered User

Can you get Belden easily? I use the belden 83803. it's a 3 conductor, 12Gauge, solid-core, double shielded cable. It's relatively cheap per meter, and it's got good power delivery. Definitely sounds better than lampcord, and I can't tell the difference between it and any aftermarket cords I've borrowed and tried.
    The original chris venhaus formula (from AA) used a double run of these, but I found that a double run wouldn't fit the mk plug without heavy modification.
    I use a MK plug on one end and a shurter IEC.

edit : I just realised that the hi-fi choice link to the TNT cable features a picture of the 83802 (which is the 2 conductor version of the 83803). It's the exact same thing I use, cept the ground is part of the formula and I don't braid it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2004
    Kelly, Jun 27, 2004
  5. amazingtrade

Wingnut

Where do you get the Belden 83803 from? The UK?

Wingnut, Jun 28, 2004
  6. amazingtrade

BlueMax

Wingnut
    I jumped with joy when I read post by Kelly.
    But he lives in Singapore :(

BlueMax, Jun 28, 2004
Ask a Question