Mobile phones and driving

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Sep 29, 2008.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I don't give a toss about the law though, it is safety I am concerned with. The minimum tyre deph is 1.6mm, but even on my dads car I paid for two new tyres as they were down to 2mm.

I think mobiles are a distraction full stop, because if it rings I will need to chat to them, that is a distraction.

Now I have passed I am going to but both my phones in the boot, when I have been driving today I have not even taken a mobile with me, but when I am driving in between jobs it is essential I have one, and it may be hany in case of a break down etc.

But what ever happens I am not going to answer my phones when driving, hands free or not :).

Since passing the answer has become obvious, I am learning still so any slight distraction could cause a major problem, it is just not worth it.

amazingtrade, Oct 5, 2008
  2. amazingtrade

lbr monkey boy

Fair enough, don't do anything you don't think is safe. Personally, I can't see the distinction between talking to someone on the end of a phone and talking to someone sat in the passenger seat. It's the use of the phone that's the distraction, not the conversation.

lbr, Oct 5, 2008
  3. amazingtrade

DavidF

Our pasenger can see if you are approaching a tricky situation like a busy round about or similar, so would presumably stop talking to let you sort it out safely. If you are talking on the phone the conversation might just conitnue.

DavidF, Oct 5, 2008
  4. amazingtrade

DavidF

I'm not sure as they lways quite the same thing.

:D :D

DavidF, Oct 5, 2008
  5. amazingtrade

Bob McC living the life of Riley

blu-tack on the dash and the phone's loudspeaker would be just as legal in theory

I don't think so. A colleague of mine had that and was prosecuted for touching the answer button when it rang. Unfortunately he was at lights next to a cop car!

Bob McC, Oct 5, 2008
  6. amazingtrade

Exactly, and also the complicity of conversations tends to be a lot simpler, passangers won't expect me to explain how to setup a wireless router when driving, but somebody could phone me up and ask that.

amazingtrade, Oct 5, 2008
  7. amazingtrade

DavidF

Yup.

Just so.

DavidF, Oct 5, 2008
  8. amazingtrade

MO! MOnkey`ead!

AT, do you really have so little self discipline you have to lock it in the boot? Just put it on silent or turn it off if you can't control your urge to answer it.

As a new driver (or any driver), I certainly wouldn't go out without my phone close to hand incase of "emergency".

I agree about handsfree being risky too. In the short time I've been driving, I've had a few close calls with procks on phones! Usually at roundabouts or slow moving traffic when edging forward. Biggest annoyance I've encountered so far though is people who seem to think using their indicators is below them!

MO!, Oct 7, 2008
  9. amazingtrade

Roundabouts are something I am worried about as I am slower at other drivings at making that decision to pull out, my reactions are probably about 2 seconds lower atm. Iam worried some prick may decide its ok to go but not realise I have not moved of yet and go into the back of me even though it will be their fault its still an accident.

I will probably stick my personal phone in the glove box (itzs always on silent anyway) and the business one in the boot or out of the way. Just knowing it is ringing is a distraction as I will wonder what it is.

amazingtrade, Oct 7, 2008
  10. amazingtrade

lbr monkey boy

Ouch. Sounds like over-zealous policing to me. In practice, I wouldn't want to be the one to test the law in court as the penalties get far stricter once you take it to court.

lbr, Oct 7, 2008
  11. amazingtrade

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Get some P plates.

MO!, Oct 7, 2008
  12. amazingtrade

Yep I already have some :)

amazingtrade, Oct 7, 2008
Ask a Question