More myths?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Mr_Sukebe, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Mr_Sukebe

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Depends on the design of the equipment. The issue with transistors is that they behave differently at different temperatures. This means you need to get any heatsinking up to temperature as well. In the case of the S300 in free air, this takes a couple of days at idle (rather less if you're using the amp of course) because the thermal mass is huge and the heatsinking is efficient. However, if you're giving the amp some stick then you'll get the internal device temperatures up pretty fast... no more than 30 mins or so.

It is necessary to differentiate idle warmup versus use warmup. Idle warmup is slow (except with class A), whereas use warmup is much faster.

I-S, Dec 2, 2004
  2. Mr_Sukebe

michaelab desafinado

I've never noticed any appreciable warm-up effect beyond about 5 minutes in any of the kit I've owned.

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 2, 2004
  3. Mr_Sukebe

Saab

actually,its the oil that needs to warm up,and you simply can't compare the 2,its just not a valid comparison

Saab, Dec 2, 2004
  4. Mr_Sukebe

Lt Cdr Data om

I didnt', someone else did!! Its not just the oil, the water, too for your heater :D and it does have an operating temp. for vapourisation and flame spreading of the petrol/air mixture...there's a lot to it....wm knows!!

Lt Cdr Data, Dec 2, 2004
  5. Mr_Sukebe

penance Arrogant Cock

Also for bearing tolerance to obtain optimum:)

penance, Dec 2, 2004
  6. Mr_Sukebe

Saab

I know there is a lot to it,but i still can't see how a frigging gurt turbo warming up has any relevance to HIFI! :)

Saab, Dec 2, 2004
  7. Mr_Sukebe

penance Arrogant Cock

true:)

penance, Dec 2, 2004
  8. Mr_Sukebe

PeteH Natural Blue

There clearly are measurable differences between cold and warm electronics, and it's of course a fundamental physical principle that as the temperature increases the conductivity goes down in conductors and up in semiconductors.

However, there are clearly measurable differences between cables too. :) I suppose it's conceivable that the difference is sometimes audible in some kit, but I can't honestly say I've ever noticed it. The whole warm-up phenomenon is an obvious candidate for the power of placebo (how come cold electronics are never reported to give a 'warm' sound?)

PeteH, Dec 2, 2004
  9. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Interesting comment, but who says?
    For a car, then I'm guessing the manufacturer would.
    So what if an amplifier manufacturer recommended warm up, wouldn't that be the same principle?

Mr_Sukebe, Dec 2, 2004
  10. Mr_Sukebe

taz

i for one know that every bit of kit i have ever owned (and there has been a lot) has allways sounded better when warmed up. valve stuff NEEDS warming up period but speakers being mechanical also work better after they have been playing for a while how do i know this? well it's not 20 odd years working with electricity or the knowledge of my farther (who was a leader in his field of electricity for nearly 45 years) it's my ears friends my ears. BTW my Tri Vista Needs warming up

taz, Dec 2, 2004
  11. Mr_Sukebe

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Of course. Can't have glowy feet in the wrong colour!

I-S, Dec 2, 2004
  12. Mr_Sukebe

mr cat Member of the month

one more thing - never mind the system warming up - what about you..?

I find a big spliff helps me...the music does sound better after a nice reliefer... :MILD:

mr cat, Dec 2, 2004
  13. Mr_Sukebe

wolfgang

It must be good to be ignorant sometimes. The maths is so easy if you are keen to know. However, even if I suspect the final figure will shock you it would not really change the mind of those who feel they must keep them warm up all the time to feel like a proper audiophile. :p

wolfgang, Dec 2, 2004
  14. Mr_Sukebe

Dick Bowman

Something aside from "warm-up" to think about is that failures seem to occur more often at switch-on rather than left-on.

Dick Bowman, Dec 2, 2004
  15. Mr_Sukebe

penance Arrogant Cock

tad rude and unessecary
    Anyway, it is only pence a day

penance, Dec 2, 2004
  16. Mr_Sukebe

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

I don't leave mine on (Auntie is very eco-conscious) even though I do think my amp benefits from a bit of a warm up, but this point about failures being more comon if switched on or off is true of pooters in my experience, so I suspect probably true of other electrical/electronic bobbins too.

Uncle Ants, Dec 2, 2004
  17. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Consider it another way.
    From the recent poll, a good deal of the people on this forum had systems with RRPs over £10k. For many, a regular upgrade is not uncommon (certainly so if you're name starts with Mer and ends in Lin).
    Even if the system used 100% of the electricity usage in a house, do you really think many of us would give a stuff? Just think of the ratio of electricity costs vs the cost of the system and software running on it.
    Valve or turntable users, probably spend more a year (on average) on valves and cartridges.

Mr_Sukebe, Dec 2, 2004
  18. Mr_Sukebe

taz

true isac true if them feet aint blue i don't wanna listen spoils the enjoyment lol

taz, Dec 2, 2004
  19. Mr_Sukebe

wolfgang

I am also one of this people with systems with an outrageously retail price tag. I have listen to my toys, done the sum.

As I have mentioned above I certainly don't think some would think twice whatever the cost, when they are told there might be a remote possibility that it could provide that illusive IMPROVEMENT to our toys. Many of us are told we have to buy toys as long as it appears to sounds superior is enough justification even if it is simply just an figment of your imagination. What chance there is to try to have a logical discussion of economy and saving the planet?

wolfgang, Dec 2, 2004
Ask a Question