Mozilla Firebird 0.7 is out

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Sgt Rock, Oct 15, 2003.

1. Sgt Rock

auric FOSS

Dude,
    you may well be right about the AdBlocker - I'll let you and others find any rough edges on the latest release before I move from my 6.1!

Auric:D

auric, Oct 16, 2003
  2. Sgt Rock

michaelab desafinado

It doesn't block ads but it does block popup windows (very effectively). Also, on sites where you actually want the popup windows it's a piece of cake to enable them for just that site alone.

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 16, 2003
  3. Sgt Rock

auric FOSS

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.5) Gecko/20031007 Firebird/0.7

Now running Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.5) Gecko/20031007 Firebird/0.7 and everything works. The 0.6.1 AdBlock filters ( very easy to construct, manage & export) and other extentions work under 0.7.1. The annoying bookmark bug has been fixed along the way & autoscroll works for me now.

Auric:)

auric, Oct 16, 2003
  4. Sgt Rock

michaelab desafinado

What was the annoying bookmark bug? I never noticed it!

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 16, 2003
  5. Sgt Rock

Sgt Rock

It even blocks PM's from zeroGain ;)

Sgt Rock, Oct 16, 2003
  6. Sgt Rock

Sgt Rock

Speed up page rendering

By default, Mozilla Firebird doesn't try to render a web page for 250 milliseconds, because it's waiting for data. If you add the code below to your user.js file, Mozilla Firebird immediately tries to render the page, even without complete data. The drawback is on slower machines where doing a "reflow" may actually cause the total page load time to be longer.
    // This one makes a huge difference. Last value in milliseconds (default is 250)
    user_pref("nglayout.initialpaint.delay", 0);

Type in the URL bar about:config

Check out the tips section on http://texturizer.net/firebird/

Sgt Rock, Oct 16, 2003
  7. Sgt Rock

auric FOSS

FlatEarth browser or what?

I have set FB to run using the Profile option which allows me to have two seperate environments; one for version .6 and one for the latest version .7. This is good as I now will not overwrite or mislay any of my bookmarks, loaded extentions and other saved settings from v.6, a migration tool for the whole browser environment.

This is the right way to run a system let alone a browser!

Auric:)

auric, Oct 16, 2003
  8. Sgt Rock

MO! MOnkey`ead!

found me a problem. Probably something very simple. When trying to open a flash website it says I've not got flash and need to get it. It works fine on IE though.

HERE FOR EXAMPLE

MO!, Oct 17, 2003
  9. Sgt Rock

michaelab desafinado

Simple - click on the jigsaw piece which you get instead of should be in the plugin window. It will take you to the correct page on the Macromedia site for downloading the Flash plugin. Download it, install it. And Bob's your mother's brother.

NB: You have to close your browser before doing the install and the installer won't find the Firebird plugins directory automatically so when asked, point it to the MozillaFirebird\Plugins directory.

The reason it worked with IE is because I think that IE ships with a flash plugin or you installed a flash plugin for IE the same way as above but it was so long ago you don't remember :)

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 17, 2003
  10. Sgt Rock

MO! MOnkey`ead!

lol. only recently reinstalled flash onto here after sticking xp on. Seems strange that I should need to download it again? :confused: Can't I just point the installed one I already have at Both IE and MOzilla?

MO!, Oct 17, 2003
  11. Sgt Rock

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Mo Flash handling is apparently rubbish in Firebird right now, so don't sweat it.

garyi, Oct 17, 2003
  12. Sgt Rock

Well I am finally able to get on their server for a download.

I have to say this release for macintosh is fantastic. Really really fast, makes safari look old.

If I were to change anything I would want to see better implimentation of buttons within web pages, on mac I am used to the rounded blue of the OSX button which shows up in other browsers, in Firebird though its an awful square thing that you can't clearly see the outline of (A bit like windows 95)

I am off to search out some themes, but for now this little baby has taken pride of place in the dock!

garyi, Oct 17, 2003
  13. Sgt Rock

michaelab desafinado

:confused: seems to be absolutely fine here. Not had a single Flash issue.

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 17, 2003
  14. Sgt Rock

Sgt Rock

Fine for me too, perhaps it's Gary's non standard hardware ;)

Also have a look at Thunderbird, it's not bad too.

Sgt Rock, Oct 17, 2003
  15. Sgt Rock

Witout meaning to jump on the bandwagon with this atest release, flash is fine also, as is quicktime.

although when I changed theme the scroll bars f*ked up ad I am getting various buggy problems. The main one being if you close the primary window then attempt to open a new one from the menu, you can't actually link to any web pages, you have to quit and restart.

Thats the price for progress I guess!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2003
    garyi, Oct 17, 2003
  16. Sgt Rock

MO! MOnkey`ead!

anyone tried using firebird while accesing the HFC forum? Doesn't seem to agree with it. Seems to take forever to open links!

MO!, Oct 18, 2003
  17. Sgt Rock

michaelab desafinado

I think that's a feature of the HFC forum :D

Only probs I notice with FB and the HFC forum is that the forum never remembers my login so I have to login every time.

BTW, great FireBird tip: when clicking on a link, hold down CTRL and it will open in a new tab rather than a new window (or the same window). Once you get used to that tabbed browsing feature you'll never want to go back :)

CTRL-PgUp and CTRL-PgDn to switch between tabs.

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 18, 2003
  18. Sgt Rock

MO! MOnkey`ead!

yep tab browsing does certainly appeal! For something so simple and effective strange IE doesn't use it!

With regard to HFC, i'm talking up to a couple of min's!!! Thought it was perhaps just the usual slow down which is comMOn over there, but tried opening it in IE and it was much faster!

MO!, Oct 18, 2003
  19. Sgt Rock

Paul Ranson

'CrazyBrowser' does IE with tabs. Get it from the obvious url.

Paul

Paul Ranson, Oct 18, 2003
  20. Sgt Rock

Sgt Rock

Mozilla Firebird 0.7.1 Released for Mac OS X

A minor update to Mozilla Firebird 0.7 has been released for Mac OS X users. Version 0.7.1 is a recommended upgrade that fixes several usability issues and significantly improves performance. The Mozilla Firebird 0.7.1 Release Notes have more information. The new build is available for Mac OS X only from ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firebird/releases/0.7.1. Starting with version 0.8, Mozilla Firebird will use Kevin Gerich's Pinstripe as the default theme on OS X. This theme is also available for 0.7.1.

In related news, the Mozilla Firebird Roadmap has been updated with details about the the plans for each milestone up to 1.0. The Mozilla Firebird 1.0 Charter has more general information about the project's goals.

Sgt Rock, Oct 28, 2003
Ask a Question