new power amp

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by rockhopper, Oct 11, 2005.

1. rockhopper

Mr Perceptive

rockhopper

No you are not doing badly, but considering you can buy new ones at £249 (with warranty) there is no scope for selling it on at a profit, so you are onto a long term loss.

I think that you and mr. cat need to save up a few months and make a wholesale change rather than just pick away at the edges. Its only my opinion though, as I said each to thier own.

BTW you can buy a £1500 system with a credit card if you're prepared to take the risk of selling it on at a profit. Sounds risky? it isn't if you know what you're doing and are confident. The interest for a month or so just takes a bit away from your profit (just like running a business!)

Enjoy the Exposure

Mr Perceptive

Mr Perceptive, Oct 11, 2005
  2. rockhopper

mr cat Member of the month

you're still willing to pop around mine and have a listen too rockhopper

mr cat, Oct 11, 2005
  3. rockhopper

rockhopper

I'm not interested in selling the Exposure. I think this is a product which I will be happy with for years. If I do end up with 3+ exposure power amps, there are numerous configrations I could play with. I may end up monoblocking the lot, or I may end up using just monoblocking the stereo channels, or even bi-amping. As long as the Exposure's are well matched with my speakers, which I am fairly sure they will be, they'll be around for a while :)

rockhopper, Oct 11, 2005
  4. rockhopper

rockhopper

Cheers, i'm limited to time right now, but i'll let you know when I can make it.

rockhopper, Oct 11, 2005
  5. rockhopper

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i found it to be better for (my admittedly small) family - only 1 a/v remote to deal with and none of this switch amps on - set to aux input - volume has to be at 12 o clock malarkey. also since dd and dts are lossy compression it seems wasteful to compromise on 2 channel for the sake of a/v when a 150 quid all in one box will do the job perfectly well. this would leave you with the money you were going to spend on 5 channels of mid level amplification to now spend on 2 channels - meaning you have a better chance of getting a better amp. also you could go for a better pre amp or if you are digital only and your dac has a volume control - direct injection straight into the power amp.
    just a thought...
    cheers

julian.

julian2002, Oct 11, 2005
  6. rockhopper

rockhopper

I personally prefer films to music, which is why i'm concerned about the full 5.1 setup. I think once I get a decent processor, the balance will be just about right. Another plus point of going the seperate route is that if there is anything in the system that doesnt seem right, I dont need to change the full lot, I can just change one component.

I also wont need to go through the malarkey you mentioned, as I am going for power amps, so hopefully its just a case of switch the amps on and away I go. The AV amp should control everything.

rockhopper, Oct 11, 2005
  7. rockhopper

mr cat Member of the month

picking at the edges..? sigh...

anyway, happy with my Nad c270 tho... ;)

mr cat, Oct 11, 2005
Ask a Question