New Toy - Can you identify?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Stereo Mic, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Stereo Mic

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

before you hear it you think 'sounds like an interesting amp' afterwards you just want one!

bottleneck, Oct 28, 2005
  2. Stereo Mic

Paul Ranson

But every solid state amp does the same, rather more simply. You have to be invested in the mere idea of using tubes to be interested in more than the technology.

Which is fine.

Paul

Paul Ranson, Oct 28, 2005
  3. Stereo Mic

Stereo Mic

Solid state amps simply do not impress me Paul. And, contrary to belief, it has nothing to do with distortion as both of my recent valve amps exhibit THD figures below supposed audibility.

So yes, I am "invested in the mere idea of using tubes", simply because IME they sound closer to reality when correctly utilised.

I cannot quite grasp your point, unless you are suggesting that a quality ss 70 wpc power amp (NAP250?) can sound as transparent and natural as an amp like this. In which case, I'd recommend a listening session.

Stereo Mic, Oct 28, 2005
  4. Stereo Mic

Paul Ranson

I'm not sure there is one other than 'OTL' isn't a complete description...

Of course it could. I don't know about a NAP250 since I've not heard one for years.

Now that would be interesting. High Wycombe (?) is only just down the road...

Paul

Paul Ranson, Oct 29, 2005
  5. Stereo Mic

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

Most simply put the Berning ZOTL principle is a Class D switching amplifier, whcih uses the tube section as modulator.

It replaces the output transformer which is well understood and can be made very well with a switched mode converter.

If this is "a good thing", listening determine must.

Hearing it in a 300B SE myself I felt it a mixed bag.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Oct 29, 2005
  6. Stereo Mic

Stereo Mic

Thorsten,

The 300b varient was the amp that Harvey Rosenberg used to eugelise over wasn't it?

I seem to remember he did say that the ZOTL wasn't for everyone, simply because it was too transparent for some and showed up less than top rate sources.

Not sure about that, and to be honest I don't care about the technology. IMO it's one hell of an amplifer regardless of price. The fact that it is semi affordable for many is a real bonus in these days of outrageously priced bling fi.

Paul, you are welcome in the future, once the Merlins turn up. I would be really interested in hearing how it performs on the Quads if you still have them.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2005
    Stereo Mic, Oct 29, 2005
  7. Stereo Mic

Paul Ranson

I think Harvey Rosenberg made 'proper' OTL valve amps with lots of valves in parallel to give respectable power outputs. Mad but fun. You probably would want to keep it at a friends house awaiting the inevitable catastrophic electrical failure.

A Futterman would be a piece of history worth keeping. Not powering up of course, just keeping...

Paul

Paul Ranson, Oct 29, 2005
  8. Stereo Mic

Stereo Mic

Stereo Mic, Oct 29, 2005
Ask a Question