Nonsense audiophile marketing...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by lowrider, Jul 17, 2003.

1. lowrider

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Timpy old bean, you are obviously in need ot hearing some Castle Conways :)

Chris :techno:

technobear, Jul 18, 2003
  2. lowrider

timpy Snake Oil free!!!

Hi Chris

I do believe you could be right for when the old upgraditis starts at the speaker end, Castle are going to have to be the first port of call.

In fact, it might be sooner than that, although I'm happy with the Kabers for the time being.

All I've got to do is sell some of the excess stuff floating about. Is there a "monsters" section on ebay? and how much would I get for WM.. :D

Cheers

timpy, Jul 19, 2003
  3. lowrider

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i've said it before and i'll say it again the marketing men should be up there against the wall allong with the lawyers come the revolution.

the solution of course is that you accept the grace of Naim into your lives. no more worrying about speaker cable choice or interconnect choice or anything else. just the flow of sweet music. you pays your money, you moves up the ladder baaa, baaa, froth slaver gibber rant....

but seriously robbo has a point, cynical, but if someone is silly enough to put a review before his own ears then.....

probably one of the biggest impacts the hi-fi industry has had recently is the explosion of home cinema. this in turn has resulted in an proliferation of cheap, reasonable quality dac's and processors / firmware that are able to cope with higher bit rates (from 16/44 to 192/24) and perform non synchronous sample rate conversion hence the new buzzword upsampling which is really oversampling by a low non integer amount so the chip can be used in it's highest bit rate mode and the marketing dept has something new to brag about.

at the end of the day though, imo, graham is spot on in that if you like it then it's good, if you don;t then it's not... i'd still like to give it a listen for a week or so though just to make sure it's warmed up and bedded in. but i must admit that first impressions are usually the ones i go with.

cheers

julian

julian2002, Jul 19, 2003
  4. lowrider

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

I think the thing here for people is to make a choice and be happy with that choice.

For many this will involve using magazines as a means to get informed opinion. What ever we think of that is irelivant because ultimately we are a bunch of hifi nerds posting our opinions. At least the magazine guys are getting paid!

Slagging what HIFI or what ever is not really the best method for voicing our opinion on hifi bollocks. For many in the hifi industry this magazine is critical to at least get people on the hifi wagon.

For the record I am pretty much sceptical about hifi supports, after market leads, CDP differences, and cones etc.

What I belive is essential is seeing through the crap and choosing what you want. And also accepting that you are human and that you are going to want the next shiney thing that comes alaong.

Just make sure its the shiney thing that you want.

And also accept that you will be pplumbing money into a passion which is expensive (in many cases more so than cars, golf etc) and that there will be companies out there more than happy to capitalise on that.

I don't blame them for one minute, if Wadiamaster for instance can make a few bob from selling leads, or 'burning them in' and people are happy to pay for it then fair enough to him. Just be sure you are happy with spending is all.

garyi, Jul 19, 2003
  5. lowrider

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Garyi, it's shame you didn't make it :( MR Sukebe has had a Very interesting afternoon of music and chat.
    I hope'd you would have been able to come, but I understand work comitments had you pinned, never mind maybe another time.
    Mike did whitness some intresting cable exchanges (though sadly not ours today), but I feel he may enlighten you on this himself.
    Very nice bloke BTW, good taste in music too.

wadia-miester, Jul 19, 2003
  6. lowrider

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Hi Tone.

I managed to get a bit of my presentation done today, but looking on it now I am worried its too 'showey'

My fiances parents were up as well so I was literally forced to meander into town and pick up a load of second hand vinyl!

Hope you had a good day, look forward to a visit soon.

garyi, Jul 19, 2003
Ask a Question