one for the mountain biker!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by bottleneck, Jul 31, 2004.

1. bottleneck

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

nice weblink by the way (singletrack world).

It seems single speed mountain bikes are making a comeback.

Rigid geometrys on bikes reviewed on the website seem to remind me of early Kona's with modern frames. It seems you can get a decent steel frame now for not so much. Maybe my perception of value has changed since Ive become older with a higher disposable income? I dont know.

Thumbies also seem to be coming back. Im a bit suprised by this. My first bike had DX thumbies, and I thought rapidfire was such a big improvement (for changing one gear, thumbies ruled for zipping from one side of the cassette to the other).

Also a bit suprised that MTB fashions havent departed more from roadie gear. Surely we dont want to look like Lance Armstrong when we are blatting about?

Chris

bottleneck, Aug 8, 2004
  2. bottleneck

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I had some decent Deore thumbies.... but my current SRAM ESP stuff is leagues ahead.

I have wondered about gearing. I went from 7 to 8 speed, and it wasn't a revelation. 9 speed came along and I ignored it... no point that I can see. However, not sure I'd go without variable front rings, because with the hills around here I sometimes need the smallest, and coming down them I need bigger than the biggest.

I've been out three times (fri, sat and today) this weekend. I'm not as horrifically unfit as I thought I was, and pushed up and down some pretty big hills. Almost took a tumble twice today... First time I decided to tackle what I've christened "The Gully", because that's what it is. It's a watercourse even now (only a trickle, but enough to make it slippery), with stones from an inch across to the size of your head, and very steep and loose. Second time I was pushing 45-50mph down a hill (on road) and a crow flew out of the hedge and flew along in front of me for a moment, before realising I was about to hit it. It was a matter of mere inches from the front wheel...

I-S, Aug 8, 2004
  3. bottleneck

Hi Isaac.

My bike is 9 speed.

Just like when I swapped from 7 to 8 speed I found it no better for the big ring downhill stuff. Just the increments between changes were slightly smaller.

If my bike hadnt come with 9 speed, I doubt I would pay for the change having lived with 9 speed.

bottleneck, Aug 8, 2004
  4. bottleneck

Philip King Enlightened User

I would have never upgraded to a 9-speed block but as it came with the bike so be it. Having single increments is really nice for long uphill slogs, just like riding a road bike for gearing.

Still got a set of XT thumbies, just loved 'em, hmm wonder if they are 9-speed compatible?

Philip King, Aug 9, 2004
  5. bottleneck

Well, I plumped for some Panaracer Mach SS kevlar tyres. I also bought some new braided hoses for my maguras, as I had a slight leak on the front brake. And in order to install those, I bought a bleeding kit.

Spent a knackering 5 hours putting it all on the bike, combined with cleaning the bike up from being dragged across a peat bog, and rebuilding the seized rear mech. Got out for a ride last night, and the mach SS are a revelation. Very nearly as much grip off-road as my old Velociraptors, far better on road and smooth track, noticeably lighter (the velocis were steel beaded). The brakes are settling back into their old, dependable huge power (burning off the oil that I spilled on the front rim and pads like a muppet), now without leaks! And I did a better job of setting them up than they were before, so no more squealing.

Now I'm after some lighter wheels and air-forks (as I've never found a spring soft enough for an 8 st rider). Then a smaller frame and then discs, and I think some new drivetrain bits are in order too.

I-S, Aug 18, 2004
  6. bottleneck

Philip King Enlightened User

Save weight on the wheels, best way to get more efficient, (other than getting fitter). Nothing beats spending all night cleaning ya bike only to cake it in mud the next day, cool!

Philip King, Aug 19, 2004
  7. bottleneck

Quite a shopping list that Isaac!

Which one's first on the agenda?

I just took my bike to the shop for the 'full monty' service.. right down to the frame and rebuilt. Should ride nice for the weekend.
    :)

Chris

bottleneck, Aug 19, 2004
  8. bottleneck

I'd like to get some weight saving in, but atm I think it's going to be drivetrain. The chain is knackered, bb/crank are creaking (they did this years ago, which was solved with new bolts, but that's not working anymore...), and the jockey wheels in the mech are knackered. The only bits I'd keep would be shifters, front mech (since it's bottom pull on a large seat tube size) and cassette (which is newer than the rest from when I changed to 8sp).

I-S, Aug 19, 2004
  9. bottleneck

A whole new drive train then?

NB I used to run Velociraptors in the winter on my old bike. I think they are a great winter tyre.

I now prefer 1.9's with less tread and a higher pressure, relying on the suspension to take care of the bumps, going for faster speed.

bottleneck, Aug 19, 2004
  10. bottleneck

I think newer things have come along that are better than the velocis, which were good for their time, but outclassed now by things like Tioga Factory XC, IRC Mythos, Panaracer Fire XC, etc. I also figured that a semi was more suited to the breakdown of my riding now.

I got a new chain today. If I can get some new jockey wheels, I'll keep my existing ESP 9.0 because it works very well otherwise. I will leave off the crankset because I might get a new frame, and that could need a different bottom bracket, and I'd like to switch to ISIS from square drive, and don't wish to buy two bottom brackets.

I-S, Aug 19, 2004
Ask a Question