PC Sound?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by leonard smalls, Jun 6, 2005.

1. leonard smalls

Anex Thermionic

RAM is quite easy to install, you just have to push it into the slot. If you google you should be able to find instructions on it.

Anex, Jun 8, 2005
  2. leonard smalls

Tenson Moderator

It is delicate though and very sensitive to static etc.. maybe take the computer to a local shop to have them do it? Adding 512mb should cost you no more than £50 including installation.

The type you need is 'DDR PC2100' or above.. there is also PC2700 and PC3200 but all will work fine. 512mb would be a good upgrade.

Just to give you some idea how mean they are to only give you 128mb, my box currently has 1536mb.

Tenson, Jun 8, 2005
  3. leonard smalls

Anex Thermionic

Its not that bad, old SIMMs were extremely sensitive, DIMMs are fine. Just touch a tap or radiator before if it makes you feel better. I worked as a hardware tech for a few years, I've never known anyone to kill a memory module through static and the only time I've ever seen someone kill one through installing was some idiot who tried to force it in the wrong way so hard he snapped it :rolleyes:

Anex, Jun 8, 2005
  4. leonard smalls

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

bottleneck, Jun 8, 2005
  5. leonard smalls

andrew1810

I agree with Anex, am doing contract work as an IT technician at the moment and offer local IT support in the evenings and I have never broken a memory module (and rarely unplug the PC)

Only thing that is a good idea is to take off your watch as that can damage components sometime.

Dell's are very easy (its what we have at work), should have two quick release buttons at the back of the case (on the sides).
    Push these in and lift and the case will hinge like a bonnet.

The memory will be towards the front on the case and it should have two slots, if you are removing the old one, push the two little white plastic clips down and away from the memory which will lift the old module.
    Then carefully lift it out holding the two corners and put it to one side.

Take the new module, again holding it at the edges and place it in the slot. Then to save your fingers, take the piece of paper that comes with the memory and push down on the memory with the paper between the memory and your fingers until you hear a click, this is the plastic clips moving into place.

Hope this helps

Andrew

andrew1810, Jun 8, 2005
  6. leonard smalls

Tenson Moderator

I think you might be right... it was probably SIMM's I have had a broken one of here and there. Though I have known DIMMS to go wrong, only in servers though.

The Tascam look nice :)

Tenson, Jun 8, 2005
  7. leonard smalls

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

I dont want to sound negative, but.....

Dont listen to anyone who tells you not to take ESD (electro static discharge) precautions!

ESD 'usually' appears as latent damage, ie it doesnt manifest itself until after prolonged use, severely reducing the lifespan of electronics - If I was emplying technicians to assemble/service PCs that didnt take proper ESD precautions I would A: Train them in the causes and precautions for ESD, or (if they didnt adhere to said instruction B: Sack them).

Trust me on this one, I've 'been around' :)

lAmBoY, Jun 9, 2005
  8. leonard smalls

PMR

Why not hook it up to your HIFI?

None of this jack plug nonsense, but rather you buy a USB external sound card (check that your PC will support the USB version of this card, v1 or 2 etc.) that supports optical and coaxial digital out. Buy a digital lead and feed the sound cards digital output into your Advantage S1's DAC. This would offer amazing VFM and performance.

Peter

PMR, Jun 9, 2005
  9. leonard smalls

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

Problem with putting the computer into the hifi is that the PC is in my 1st floor office, and the stereo on the ground floor at the other end of the house...

And a m8 of mine has offered to fit 512Mb RAM, and give me a pair of Aiwa powered speakers - all for free (well I have to cook prime Hereford beef goulash for him, with fresh horseradish mash, plus a bottle or 3 of Mount Adam The Red..)

leonard smalls, Jun 9, 2005
  10. leonard smalls

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

sounds like a good offer to me - take it:)

lAmBoY, Jun 9, 2005
  11. leonard smalls

Tenson Moderator

Tenson, Jun 17, 2005
  12. leonard smalls

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

I've now got the speakers, and sound actually comes out of them!
    Not very good, but then the last thing I want is loud and perfectly reproduced Windows sounds...
    All at Yorkshire's favourite price :D
    And the RAM issue is now in the post, will probably have to pay but it's also wholesale so reasonable as well...
    Next thing is a router for the glorious day that broadband arrives - then I can have XFM on in the background while having a peak on't net.

leonard smalls, Jun 17, 2005
  13. leonard smalls

Tenson Moderator

You can turn the windows sounds off you know! Thats one of the first things I do when I install it lol! anyway sounds like you got it sorted, nice one ;)

Tenson, Jun 18, 2005
Ask a Question