Perreaux

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by cookiemonster, Nov 16, 2003.

1. cookiemonster

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Hi Penance,

Mullard tubes are apparently a very well recommended tube for the X-Can V2, and are apparently about £30 a pair. The stock Philips tubes are somewhat bright and forward, and Mullard tubes apparently give the sound a more rich and detailed feel.

Valve amps are said to be the best match for the Sony headphones I've got, hence my decision to go for the X-Can as a cheap, tweakable and surprisingly potent (particularly when modded) amplifier.

Now, where is WM with his suggestions... :D

PBirkett, Nov 19, 2003
  2. cookiemonster

penance Arrogant Cock

Mullard's (NOS) are deffinatly not bright, but certainly not muddy either

I picked up some Mullards from a guy in my home town last week, most expensive being ECC83 @ £25 a pop

penance, Nov 19, 2003
  3. cookiemonster

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi Paul

I usually find my self with military spec Philips ECC83's because I like the detailed slightly forward sound they give.

If you want a slightly warmer sound, slightly less forward mullards will give you that, amongst others. Try speaking to Jim Fish at Wilson Valves. Hes a really nice bloke, and reasonably cheap too.

NB I pay about £7+vat for a phillips, mullards are about double that.

NNB Watch out for mullards ''in disguise'' i.e. with a different code on them. I recently picked up a Mullard GZ32 (usually about £25 + VAT) for £10 + VAT (from Jim as it happens) because it had a different label and coding on the front.

NNNB! Nice people like 'langrex supplies' or 'wilson valves' or 'CVC' to a lesser extent will happily tell you if they have any valves 'in disguise' as I like to think of them!

...sorry about the thread hi-jack, you can have it back now....
    Chris

bottleneck, Nov 19, 2003
  4. cookiemonster

PBirkett VTEC Addict

The stock valves are Philips, bottleneck, but I am not sure what model they are, but they are quite forward sounding, and I have to say I quite like that, I'd like a valve that is better, but more or less retains the original character, or perhaps the stock tubes are good enough?

Maybe I just need to change the CAPS and sort the power supply, hmm, decisions decisions :D

PBirkett, Nov 19, 2003
Ask a Question