PMC FB1+ Anybody using these or have heard them?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by giosblue, Mar 24, 2005.

1. giosblue

bemcsa

My C7 use to trip, I guess its better they trip than blow up!

Adding a psx-r helped, but didn't cure it. I would imagine that the seperate power supply helped take some of the heat away from the amp. It also helped the sound quality. If I wanted to play loud, directing a fan onto the amp stopped it tripping, but wasn't really practical.

In the end I solved the problem by getting a bel canto evo 4. You can give that some serious stick and it barely gets warm.

bemcsa, May 2, 2005
  2. giosblue

Ant

I've got some FB1+ on loan at the moment. I like em. In my system the midrange is a little bit back in the mix (thank god as it means I can listen fo rmor ethan an hour without crying). The overal impression is one of smoothness but given the right material they pick up their skirts and rock.

I liked em over Spendors more expensive offering and B&W's (even their 8 grand ones)

Ant, May 2, 2005
  3. giosblue

yogus

I heard a pair of IB1s yesterday on the back of a MF KW500, and I'm wishing I hadn't....

Those IB1s are big ugly mufus, but it absolutely massacred the OB1 and FB1.

yogus, May 2, 2005
  4. giosblue

Tenson Moderator

Hmm perhaps this supports the idea that the Piston driver is much better for transmission lines? What was better about the IB1?

Tenson, May 3, 2005
  5. giosblue

yogus

Everything? :D

Seriously though, it kicked the OB1s for touch.

In comparison, the IB1s were far more muscular and punchier in the bass, music had a lot more presence and body. Soundstaging and imaging was wider and deeper and music sounded as if you were there (source permitting of course). The consumer PMCs I always found a little dynamically restrained, but not so these babies.

It's a big room speaker though. The room I heard it in was about 9 X 7m or so.

yogus, May 3, 2005
  6. giosblue

Tenson Moderator

I would like to hear the IB1 or 2's... It's a pity they don't do active ones though.

If you liked them that much but they are too big and or expensive you should have a listen to the AML1's I'm using. They have the exact same transmission line enclosure design, even with the piston driver, but use the modified tweeter used in the top of the line active BB5's (crosses over at a rather low 1KHz) rather than the slightly smaller tweeter and mid unit in the IB1/2.

Tenson, May 3, 2005
Ask a Question