Quest for a better place...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by kmac, Mar 12, 2006.

1. kmac

kmac

Hmmm much food for thought. I am sure I can do much better than the Cyrus set-up for the money. I guess I rushed into it without the due diligence I should have put it ( only auditioned Cyrus plus MF A3 and Arcam FMJ)

I don't think I am going to go the valve route ( I'm don't have the time to sit around while they warm up etc and can't be worried about replacing valves).

I only want a CD source (with the option of a hard disk source at some stage).

I am goign to listen to some kit at the Heathrow audio show (1-2 April)

kmac, Mar 13, 2006
  2. kmac

robert_cyrus

i suggest, if u havent already, trying over at my website
    www.cyrusunofficial.co.uk

perhaps surprisingly, u wont get a cyrus-biased response. plus if u do want to sell on the cyrus, u may find a buyer without needing to resort to ebay.

i think it might be the cyrus + MA speakers causing the issues - spendors or audiovectors or dynaudio seem to be the current favourites.

also a free alternative - try putting the psx-r on the cd player instead.

robert_cyrus, Mar 13, 2006
  3. kmac

kmac

Thanks robert - excellent site that Cyrus unofficial. I joined just prior to joining zerogain.

Have had lots of helpful suggestion from your site - main ones around changing speakers.

Tried switching the PSX-R to the Cd player but IMO sounds much better with the amp. I actually think the CD8X is a decent enough CD player. Probbaly need to reconsider speakers and amp.

kmac, Mar 15, 2006
  4. kmac

ditton happy old soul

may be decent enough CD player but that's where, IMO, you need to look to upgrade for 'detail and soundstage'.

ditton, Mar 15, 2006
  5. kmac

Bradders

MA speakers really do need plenty of current.

The Cyrus amps probably don't quite cut the mustard.

Bradders, Mar 15, 2006
  6. kmac

Stuart

Hi,

Not listened to any Cyrus boxes for a while, but I don't recally anything nasty about them. I suspect the 'speakers might be the most beneficial area to investigate. I found that the MA silver 9's were an initially impressive listen, but were wearing over a longer listen, having some 'edginess' to the sound.

Regards,

Stuart.

Stuart, Mar 18, 2006
  7. kmac

Tenson Moderator

Cyrus CD players are excellent IMO, oodles of detail and good imaging. They can be a bit clinical sometimes though.

I agree with the comments about the speakers. I auditioned the 6i's as well and found both to be kind of 'disconnected' if that makes any sense? A bit muddled and confused too. I chose the Gold 10's over them.

Cyrus amps are also very good, but as said lack that god-like grip and control a really good speaker needs.

I think kmac is on the right track looking at spakers and amps.

Tenson, Mar 18, 2006
  8. kmac

RobHolt Moderator

I had a flirt with Cyrus about 8/9 years ago and eventually ended up with thirteen of the little shoeboxes covering CD, amps and tuner. One day I stripped it all back to just four boxes and got less hi-fi but more music - the fun factor returned. Adding more and more of those PSXR supplies is very tempting, not least because they are excellent material value compared to, for example the Naim Hicap, but while each addition gave more control, power and refinement the end result sounded too clinical and processed.

You can't knock the value though and the build is superb.
    I'd agree with Simon that the CD players are the strongest part of the range. I ran an old dad7/PSX recently for a year or two and it was still fully competitive with todays better machines.

Rob.

RobHolt, Mar 18, 2006
  9. kmac

greg Its a G thing

Personally speaking - I got back into "hifi" by buying a Cyrus 7, PSX-R and a pair of Ruark Epilogue Reference. I bought that combo because the music came to life - some might say forward or bright but I would say lively and engaging.

Whilst I'd now agree there is better to be had for the same money, I'd also say the differences arent that great (for the same money) unless you buy used of course.

I've since tried a few amps (including Lavardin IS Ref and Krell KAV 300i) and speakers (including Sonus Faber Signum and Kef Model 107/2).

The Cyrus amp wasnt shamed by the Lavardin or the Krell (both different to each other of course). Similarly the Ruark's were certainly not at all shamed by the SF's, though the Kef's are a different animal.

I wouldnt advocate going up the Cyrus amp ladder, but dont assume the Cyrus kit you have is in any way a joke. However regards Cyrus amps they seem to do a range of things pretty well, but dont really excel at anything. Good start point for comparison to other kit though.

greg, Mar 18, 2006
  10. kmac

kmac

I also think the room doesn't help the Monitor Audi floorstanders. It is a standard 1930's terrace where wall has been knocked down to make a through lounge. Also solid wood flooring throughout means lots of reflected sound.

I am thinking of some standmounts - probably prefessional studio monitor types. Must get down to Gravesend and listen to Simon's AML1s (he has been kind enough to invite) - but will try to make it to KMR audio for a listen as well.

kmac, Mar 18, 2006
Ask a Question