[Review] Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 DAC

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by alanbeeb, Jun 3, 2004.

1. alanbeeb

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Alan - how you getting on with the DAC 64?

You may also want to borrow some different cables with it. Some prefer it balanced, others prefer it with an optical. Id try both to see..

good though, isnt it?

bottleneck, Jul 31, 2004
  2. alanbeeb

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

KAP - what were you using as a CD player before you tried the trivista? My sony scd-xa3000es was already quite warm and rich sounding, just a bit laid back. I found the MF had an almost identical sonic character.

Regarding the Chord DAC64, I had it on loan for 3 weeks and I thought it superb in many ways, vastly different sound to the MF trivista and my Sony. It really created a lot of excitement and immediacy with the music and I think its a great product. There were occassions though when I found it a bit relentless and just a bit upfront. And also just a bit too expensive, though I am keeping half-an-eye open on second hand and ex-demo.

However - after some reflection, I decided I also wanted to improve the performance of SACD playback (I found the sony disappointing compared to what I've heard elsewhere) so I've now got a Shanling SCD-T200C SACD player, which so far (I've had it 2 weeks) is really impressing me - its got a big, big rich sound, nothing is recessed like with the Sony but its not pushed onto your lap either.

When I decided to purchase it I reckoned I would still go for an outboard DAC for redbook CD but I am so impressed with is CD performance that is probably no longer necessary.

alanbeeb, Jul 31, 2004
  3. alanbeeb

BlueMax

BlueMax, Aug 1, 2004
  4. alanbeeb

KAP

Chris,

Cheers, I have bought from Simply Vinyl, Dylan, Waits and Beatles. One of the burdens of the Dylan fan is having bought it all on CD I now need it all on vinyl and on top of that I have just purchased all the SACD re-masters. There's also the odd bootleg cassette and a gold CD of Blonde on Blonde.

On the subject of Blonde on Blonde; cassette, CD, gold CD, SACD hybrid re-master and vinyl, it's still vinyl that wins out sounding more real. The overpriced gold CD left Dylan at the back of the studio, buried behind the instruments. Still, I haven't heard the SACD layers yet!

Alan,

It was a Marantz CD6000 KI and still is.

KAP, Aug 1, 2004
  5. alanbeeb

Nomoretweaks Tourist on tilt

This is a very telling point of the initial review IMHO. I own TriVista DAC for more than a year now. The difference between 96 and 192Khz is very clear. If the author for some reason is unable to hear it no wonder he is unable to hear the difference betweeen TriVista and his Sony player ;)

Nomoretweaks, Sep 15, 2005
  6. alanbeeb

Ted

The difference is noticable, but I'd hardly say VERY noticable! It really depends on the sort of music you are playing.

Which do you prefer?

Ted, Sep 15, 2005
  7. alanbeeb

96 sounds more "analogue", with more appealing, warmer mids, but as my tweeter is a bit rolled off, I am using 192. It also gives some extra slam/extension in the bass. I think in the end it depends on your system's balance. In a well balanced one I would use 96. I would say the effect is in a way similar to switching cables.

Nomoretweaks, Sep 15, 2005
  8. alanbeeb

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

I was certainly able to tell the difference between the Trivista 21 DAC and everything else I've tried...

alanbeeb, Sep 19, 2005
  9. alanbeeb

mr cat Member of the month

what support are your Dacs on - mine just a glass shelf...just wondered what the best was..

cheers!

mr cat, Sep 19, 2005
  10. alanbeeb

ianb

Did you do a double-blind test?

ianb, Sep 19, 2005
  11. alanbeeb

Garmt

Best is plywood, worst is glass. Mine's on plywood... :)

Garmt, Sep 20, 2005
  12. alanbeeb

mr cat Member of the month

cheers - I'll dig something out...I may even try it with a half inflated test tube - got some other kit resting on them... :D

mr cat, Sep 20, 2005
  13. alanbeeb

If your DAC is on glass, it's really worth trying RDC cons. Even more so with your transport.

Double blind tests? Why? I do not need to close my eyes to trust my ears.:)))

alanbeeb, sorry if I misinterpreted your words, but I hope you've got the idea.;-)

Nomoretweaks, Sep 21, 2005
Ask a Question