Squeezebox query

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Dev, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Dev

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

Depends on the drive, most likely. My Synology CS-406 uses a native ext3 file system but there has been no problem with funny file names containing æ, ø, ä, etc.

SteveC, Apr 27, 2007
  2. Dev

Dev Moderator

Hi Steve, I think my ubuntu machine and also uses ext3 (or might be ext2) and I've had issues with ? and :. Other character (including Oriental and Russian looking) seem OK.

Dev, Apr 27, 2007
  3. Dev

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

I checked for ? marks and, for example, Erasure's track from Chorus called "Am I Right?" is stored as far as Windows sees it as X:\Erasure\Chorus\Am I Right_.mp3 and the same in unix if I telnet to the NAS, but the tag information is correct from within e.g. iTunes. (The track was originally ripped with itunes on a windows machine.) I suppose if you use something that doesn't have tags, like FLAC, then it could be a problem.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2007
    SteveC, Apr 29, 2007
  4. Dev

Dev Moderator

Sorry, I just realised we are talking about different things. I have no issues at all wiith any names in the local drive. I only have an issue with smb drive mapping. I use Samba on my server, where I backup my flac and mp3 files to.

Dev, Apr 29, 2007
  5. Dev

BlueMax

Could this be a solution?
    When backing up, connect the NTFS formated NAS drive and the NTFS formated external hard drive using an USB cable; instead of feeding data through the router.

Haven't tried; just a thought!

BlueMax, Apr 29, 2007
  6. Dev

nando nando

Dev, Grsi Is Going All The Way To Have Sb As All His Source, Contacting Him I Am Sure That It Will Be Helpful, Nando.

nando, May 12, 2007
  7. Dev

Dev Moderator

I know Joseph, I spoke to him;).

I too have bought a SB3, but I'm not planning to sell off my CDPs. Still times when you just want to handle CDs:D.

Dev, May 12, 2007
  8. Dev

BlueMax

What transport do you people use for ripping CDs?
    The CD/DVD player in you PC or have you found a way to use your hi-fi CDP?

BlueMax, May 13, 2007
  9. Dev

Dev Moderator

PC. The software is Sound Juicer running on ubuntu Linux.

Dev, May 13, 2007
  10. Dev

BlueMax

I have been using a Sony CAV-U5 and a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 NX during the last few weeks. Fed through a DAC, both are much better than I expected.

Now I have been offered a SLIMP3 and an original Squeezebox.
    They are compared at
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?HardwareComparison
    But not sure if they can play FLAC :confused:

Has anyone tried either or both of them?
    Apart from the difference in DTR and other features, are these old models inferior in sound quality in some way?

BlueMax, May 13, 2007
  11. Dev

Jampot

Check out the Slim forum-

http://forums.slimdevices.com/

For anything approaching decent quality you likely won't want anything older than a SB2.

I don't think the slimp3 supported internet radio either.

IIRC the SB2 and SB3 only differ cosmetically, but if you have wireless networking difficulty, the external aerial on the SB2 may be helpful.

Jim

Jampot, May 13, 2007
  12. Dev

dehavillandrfc Enrico and The Fermions

dehavillandrfc, Jun 10, 2007
  13. Dev

BlueMax

Been trying out the SLIMP and an original wireless SB for couple of weeks. No speed problems with SB and being 100% wireless is convenient. Streams FLAC and othe lossless formats but sound quality wise nothing special. Playing though a DAC showed a noticeable improvement.

Has anyone compared these old ones with SB2 and SB3 ?

Transporter is an interestesing innovation but rather expensive considerng that the basic function of streaming can be achieved at fraction of its price. Unless the quality of sound reproduction is something fantastic, I am not going to be tempted. Unless they integrate a NAS with a 500GB HD plus a hand-held wireless remote/colour-dispay, 8 inch minimum.

Haven't listened to the Transporter, so would like to hear from those who use it.

BlueMax, Jun 10, 2007
  14. Dev

julian2002 Muper Soderator

sb2 / 3 is mules better than sb 1 when it comes to jitter and digital output connection - i have both and the sb2 wins the external dac contest by a country mile.
    however if you just want a box to plug into your amp that streams music off a hdd then the 1 is perfectly adequate.

julian2002, Jun 10, 2007
  15. Dev

Bry

Howdy,

I'm a bit confused about this. Is there any advantage in sound from using a sb2 rather than wire connecting the computer directly to a DAC?

Logically, It seems like given equal recording formats, the sound from any cdp, sb2, or piped directly from the computer and run in each case through the same DAC should produce the same sound.

What would produce variation?

I imagine there might be some difference in quality between firewire and USB or an optical line vs an RCA line, but even that I'm sceptical of. It just seems like any transport of digital info, given the same recording, will produce the same sound as long as its converted at the same DAC.

On the other hand, I haven't noticed an overabundance of people trying to offload their 5000$ cdps for pennies. what gives?

Bry, Jun 15, 2007
  16. Dev

BlueMax

Main advantage of using an SB is the conveniance of wireless connection. Also, the manufacturer has packaged it very well with Slimserver software, being able to play lossless file formats, support from many models of NAS, good promotional activities and so on.

If wireless in not a technical requirement and if one is prepared to stream using cable, then there are other options:
    - a simple PC to amp connection using analogue interconnects;
    - from PC > external sound card > analogue ouput > amp; or best of all,
    - PC/NAS > Wireless router > laptop > USB to SPDIF convertor > DAC > amp.
    - Ethernet or Firewire connection to amp may also be a possibility but I am not aware of any gizmos for it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2007
    BlueMax, Jun 15, 2007
  17. Dev

Bry

Bluemax,

thanks for the response. For the most part, I'm aware of those possiblities, and, there are firewire gizmos mostly designed for people who are recording and mixing, and most come with a DAC which you may or may not want to bypass by way of a digital out.

The - PC/NAS > Wireless router > laptop > USB to SPDIF convertor > DAC > amp. option is interesting. I'm actually thinking of having a computer (hopefully a very quiet one) next to my stereo, so the wireless router and laptop steps would be superfluous. There wouldn't be much of a difference would there, as long as the computer and hard drives are very quiet?

In any case, I am curious if anyone has tried to make sound comparisons between the various paths by which digital information can be transferred to a DAC. (or comparing a harddrive transport to a cd transport)

The great IC debate seems to have settled into two static camps of those who believe and those who refuse to try.

I couldn't participate because I live in Spain, but some of you could get together and do some bbqing and wire switching and blind tests in this realm, I'd be happy to reap the benefits of your insights though sad to miss out on the fun!

Cheers!

Bry, Jun 15, 2007
Ask a Question