Sub around £400, advice needed

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by liamjf, Sep 15, 2004.

1. liamjf

Matt F

99% of the Naim forum do!

Matt.

Matt F, Sep 18, 2004
  2. liamjf

avanzato

Right I've had me morning cuppa tea and will be more reasonable.

I found this to be mildly annnoying

It's shame you didin't listen to Castle when you bought the REL as the classic is IMO (and several reviews) a very good subwoofer. I suppose it's not really a Castle as such, as the driver and amp are made by ATC and put in a beautiful Castle box. So just because you've never heard of the classic doesn't mean you should dismiss it.

Like Matt F says have you heard a REL 200E? I had one a few years ago and it was not that good, fell apart at anything like a decent volume. I was glad I got it half price so I didn't lose when I sold it on.

Edit : not sure the Castle has dual inputs. If I see one today I'll have a look.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2004
    avanzato, Sep 18, 2004
  3. liamjf

JackOTrades

What about a MJ Acoustics? They tend to be well regarded and are cheaper than the REL ST range.

Jack

JackOTrades, Sep 18, 2004
  4. liamjf

liamjf

Thanks Avanzato, if you have any info re the Castle please post! BTW if I had £500 I'd buy Technobears Storm! ;)

Liam.

liamjf, Sep 19, 2004
  5. liamjf

Ultrasonic Bo selecta!!

I wernt implying buy rel, everythingelse is crap! Didnt know the castle sub was designed by ATC and never heard it so shouldnt have commented on that.but hey the rel is at a very nice price and IMO is a great sub so my recomendation for that is just as valid. The Q200 and Q150 wernt that bad IMHO but too monotoned for music which is why i went for the strata. Admittedly it was a very short demo. If u spend enough time with any hifi product you will find a fault.

Another reason why the rel would make a better choice than the castle, even if it is made by ATC is flexiblity. Im not %100 sure about this but not many subs bar MJ acoustics have the neutrik connection and also the rel has an excellent ABC bass control system which is great for fine tuning the sub to perform well in any listening enviroment.

All IMHO though. I reckon you should save up£500 and get the storm off techno :D

Ultra

Ultrasonic, Sep 20, 2004
  6. liamjf

avanzato

Hey Liam. I didn't get a chance to go to Hughes at the weekend and I'm not sure when I'll next be near those branches, could be a week or two, should think you'll have saved up the extra £100 by then. :)

avanzato, Sep 20, 2004
  7. liamjf

liamjf

Mr Bear has sold his Storm so still looking...
    :)

liamjf, Sep 20, 2004
  8. liamjf

Ultrasonic Bo selecta!!

You might be able to get yourself a Mordaunt short 909 sub for around £400, its £500 new and is pretty darn powerful and i think it uses a digital amp and rather substantial drive unit. Mj acoustics ave a nice range of subs worth trying out. The new Rel stampede is suppose to be virtually as good as the new strata and has a cool blue display+convenience of a remote control! Theres a review of them on the HFC homepage.

Ultra

Ultrasonic, Sep 21, 2004
  9. liamjf

andrew1810

10. liamjf

avanzato

Well it took a long time but I got into Hughes in Lowestoft and they do have the Castle for £399....... but it's low level only I was told. I didn't feel like hefting it out of the display to look myself and I could see that the finish was rough, looked like it had got damp sometime.

They still have plenty of REL Strata 3's at £500.

avanzato, Oct 23, 2004
Ask a Question