Sub on a paving slab?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by MartinC, Sep 1, 2004.

1. MartinC

maddog 2

Martin,

I use two big limestone tiles from Fired Earth, bonded together, sitting on three shallow aluminium cones from...... can't remember.

This works well under my Strata 3. Nice solid base and a bit prettier than the paving slab option. I think the tiles were about £15 each so a bit pricier.

Alternatively, check out your nearest stone mason as I'm sure someone has already suggested. I walked passed just a place today in Ambleside and there were about twenty hifi-shaped slate plinths just sitting outside.

maddog 2, Sep 4, 2004
  2. MartinC

MartinC Trainee tea boy

Cheers for the tip Fired Earth tip Maddog, that wouldn't be a ridiculous price for something that looked reasonable. Yesterday I was extravagent and blew a whole £1.59 on a paving slab slightly smarter than the cheapest 99p ones. That will give me something to be getting on with, but long term I will want something nicer. Now I just need the sub to turn up...

Sadly, living in Southampton, I don't tend to pass places like you described in Ambleside :( . Bet that was a nice place to be yesterday; lucky you!

Martin

MartinC, Sep 6, 2004
  3. MartinC

Mr_Sukebe

I use a B&Q stone slab under my REL unit at home.
    I can't comment on bass depth, but what I did find was a major change to the "speed" of the sub.
    To get my REL integrated well with my Linn Kabers, I had major issues for a while with making the sub keep up with the Linns, which as tight and fast in their bass response. The only way I found to do this was to run the sub on a slab, and the Linns on the carpet. Just thought it would be worth adding...

Mr_Sukebe, Sep 6, 2004
  4. MartinC

MartinC Trainee tea boy

Cheers, Mr Sukebe, I'll bear your comments in mind. Sub on a paving slab and speakers on carpet with be how I'm starting off...

I now have a very large box sitting next to me, which presumeably contains my sub, so I'll be doing a spot of playing tonight :) .

MartinC, Sep 6, 2004
Ask a Question