Sub or new speakers?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by MO!, Aug 27, 2004.

1. MO!

PeteH Natural Blue

Yes, I suppose you could, and the sad thing is that it'd probably have been closer to what you were thinking. Still, maybe you'll learn someday. :p

PeteH, Aug 30, 2004
  2. MO!

Robbo

Only joking Pete :)

Robbo, Aug 30, 2004
  3. MO!

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Mind you subsonics and punchy + controlled can & do go together Pete, though you made need to reconsider the ampilification at some point in the future, before buying those D80's :)

wadia-miester, Aug 30, 2004
  4. MO!

PeteH Natural Blue

Yeah, I know, just having a little bit of fun meself. :)

wm, the D80s (or indeed any other high-end speakers - I'll be on the lookout for options eventually) will remain a pipedream for some considerable time to come chez PeteH - the Quads will do very nicely in the meantime though, even if they perhaps don't do "slam" the way some of you boys like. And I'll certainly reconsider the front end when the time comes, but I think the NADs probably have more to give than I'm getting just now.

PeteH, Aug 30, 2004
  5. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

HI.

Thanks for the feedback so far :)

Apart from the Quad's, it just seems to be sub's that are being mentioned so far. I suspect a sub will be the best way to add the lower reach in my set up with the small room, but like Robbo suggest, perhaps not the best way to go.

So any thoughts on the actual sub v new speaker issue?

Am I even being realistic in wanting a fuller range in a room this size?

Whenever I've heard Dyn's (audience range), they've always seemed to have a good low end.

Alot of you will have a general idea of my music tastes but in breif, I listen MOstly to "electronic" of the flavour sometimes known as IDM (intelligent dance music ;) )which I'm sure some of you will find a contradiction :D So everything from DnB, Hip Hop, Techno, Chill out, and general "electronica".

Also listen to a lot of "Indie". Stone Roses, Beta Band, Gomez...

They're perhaps the two main types, but also like my acoustic stuff, a bit off jazz, blues, folk, heavier rock/grunge, reggae. a splash of classical, and some 60/70s.

Thanks for all comments :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2004
    MO!, Aug 30, 2004
  6. MO!

Robbo

Mo,

Yes, I'd probably be tempted to go the new speaker route rather than getting a sub. As for what you get I dont really know. I think you need something fairly lively to counteract the smoothness of the MF. How about a s/h pair of Neat Mystiques? I reckon theyd be pretty fab with your type of music, fast fun and funky. Rega Elas perhaps. Both these speakers wont do subsonic bass, but I think they'd go deep enough for your type of music.

Robbo, Aug 30, 2004
  7. MO!

MartinC Trainee tea boy

MO!'s initial question I often ponder with my system... I reckon I'll give one of those Ruark subs a go and see how I get on as at that price I should be able to sell it on down the line no problem. I'm sure I'd looked before and they didn't have any left, but I'll go for it now. Well, tonight when I've got my credit card to hand anyway, they'd better not sell out by then...

MartinC, Aug 31, 2004
Ask a Question