syncing dac watts audio pam16 to external clock

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by GFF, May 14, 2005.

1. GFF

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Sure Do, however proper sheilded its a easy and effective way of clock linking.
    I've gone back over to a one box, IMHO only the very top higher end kit gives slightly more performance, though I'm cooking with a very trick DAC presently so we'll see if this bears fruition. Wm

wadia-miester, May 20, 2005
  2. GFF

GFF

I might go the one-box way myself when fed up with cec/pam.
    A friend just got his hands on a s/h accuphase dp75. Not too many kHz and bits but the build is nice and he is very impressed with the sound. I'll pop in with a bottle of wine :) , hope I can give it a try in next weeks :D . No sacd either but until now I haven't come across a good sacd/cd player my money can buy so can't tell the difference…
    Do north star design get distributed in the UK? I've heard the have a new dac, called extremo... :rolleyes:

GFF, May 20, 2005
  3. GFF

Neil

This has been a most interesting thread - if you've not tried a deltran equipped transport I'd urge you to do so. Try to find (difficult!) one of the 24bit dpa enlightenments or any other converted transport. I used to have the E-drive and the difference with/without deltran was pretty much night and day! I've never heard the PAM 16 and don't know its design but I assume it is a pulse array DAC similar to the older SX series.

I miss my dpa kit - the only hifi I've really regretted selling! Although I still have the exellent phono stage.

Neil

Neil, May 20, 2005
  4. GFF

GFF

Thank you Neil,
    The proposition I had a long time ago form the swiss distributor was of a dpa enlightenment drive. Too bad, that would have been the one!
    The instruction book of the pam16 says “24 bit pulse array modulation dacâ€Â. That sounds fairly similar to dpa's sx series. It features hdcd-filter and supports 96 kHz conversion from a dvd-v or dvd-a. It does accept 192 kHz and dsd but that's a bit of a joke as you never get those digital formats in the consumer world unless you have a modified sacd/dvd-a drive, like the ones from dvdupgrades.
    Unfortunately I never came to listen to dpa's dac. In my long list of missed occasions I must add the sx-512. My dealer had a s/h one, actually not really used, but with one optical-in damaged (one out of many!). All this sounds very familiar…

So what did you get instead of your dpa set? Have you had enough of digital harshness and gone 100% analogue :) ? I suppose newer digital stuff must have some advantages over older…

GFF, May 21, 2005
  5. GFF

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Robbos

Dpa transport and dac, is a very smooth and flowing digital presenation, completely undigital too

wadia-miester, May 21, 2005
  6. GFF

Neil

Hi GFF - I tried a lot of kit following the dpa, then redundancy for a while meant that I had to "sell up" to pay the bills!
    My hifi budget is still comparativly low so I've now got a heavily modified WAD kit 88 valve amp - very transparent but still punchy in the bass. I couldn't find a CD player I liked unless I was to pay a lot of money so settled for an old Arcam Alpha 7 with Net audio mini-clock with its own psu. It also had some op-amp and capacitor changes. I like the sound but I'm still looking for the smooth detail of the dpa stuff!

Neil

Neil, May 22, 2005
  7. GFF

GFF

Ah! paying the bills...just don't ! :)
    Pity Scotland is that far away, you could give the pam16 a try.
    Actually I heard from a dealer here in Switzerland that he preferred the dpas to the pam16. But again, didn't try it myself, though I do imagine that a sx-512 sounds better.

GFF, May 22, 2005
Ask a Question