The beast has arrived...at last

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Gromit, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Gromit

Dexter

Thanks, Chris. It's quite fetching. Are the Syrinx arms still being made?

Dex

Dexter, Feb 21, 2005
  2. Gromit

Goomer

Not since about 1983, I think. The designer, Scott Strachan, is, I think now working in another industry, although I can't remember which one. A bit more info on the Syrinx arms here:

http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/hfw/oldeworldehtml/syrinxarm.html

I had mine rewired with an Incognito loom last year and can't see myself changing it in the foreseeable future, having swapped it over from a few LP12's to my current Spacedeck.

Chris.

Goomer, Feb 21, 2005
  3. Gromit

Gromit Buffet-blower

That's a great link Chris - I remember some years ago listening to a PU2-equipped LP12 and being bowled-over by its sound. Shame the company never carried on.

Gromit, Feb 21, 2005
  4. Gromit

Goomer

It's a shame, to some extent, that Linn and Naim had the hegemony on what arms went on the LP12, as there were a number of other arms which fell by the wayside as a result, I think, and which worked at least equally as well in my opinion. Syrinx, Mission, Zeta and Helius spring to mind straight away, and I'm sure there are others. The PU3 isn't as fiddly to set up as the PU2, and has a very nifty and well engineered - if slightly frightening when using for the first time - threaded arm tube, which revolves in order to adjust azimuth/alignment.

I'm not certain, but I think my NAS may be the only PU3 equipped one in existance, as when ordering I provided the spindle to pivot distances, and Notts claimed never to have heard of it before. If anyone feels like trying something different on the Spacedeck, and can track a decent PU3 down, I would highly recommend it.

Anyway, apologies for the hijack of your excellent thread - I hope the Spacedeck continues to impress you, as it has me over the last 3 months.

Chris.

Goomer, Feb 21, 2005
  5. Gromit

Gromit Buffet-blower

No need to apologise Chris - it's great to get NAS info in whatever shape or form. :)

The PU2-equipped Linn was at one of the shows held at Heathrow a few years ago (I'll bet it must be 15 years at least - no doubt more) and via the Naim amps was making a pair of Isobariks sing very nicely indeed. I'm reckonig it must be pre-Aro days.

I know I keep harping on about it, but I'm just bowled over by the Spacedeck - it's not often I've heard something which sounds so fundamentally right ...and it's not even properly run-in yet :)

Gromit, Feb 21, 2005
Ask a Question