The best CDP in the World? (again!!!)

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Dev, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Dev

analoguekid Planet Rush

even better (just :) )

analoguekid, Nov 7, 2004
  2. Dev

JackOTrades

Lamboy,

I'm not worried, neither do I regret getting the amp I have. Like I said, I didn't buy it out of insecurity or with my eyes closed (i might have done that a couple of times throughout the listening sessions though). I compared it head to head against a number of amps, including the nait5 and at its pricepoint and for the sound I was looking for, it was (and is) my preferred choice. I am sure I could go out and hear something better, but we all have limited time.

It is however a fact that MF does itself no favours, nor its customers by pursuing this hype, that frankly shouldn't fool anyone. Equally you should not let the hype p*ss you off to the point of not listening to their stuff because they have some good stuff.

If anything, I would avoid buying MF stuff new, to have a chance of not losing too much money, but their residuals are pretty good as someone said already. Surprisingly, given the speed of their releases, and it must mean that at least some people like their sound (they don't come up that often second hand as far as I can see).

but hey, we all like different things, different sounds. none of us likes to be ripped off though! ;)

Jack

JackOTrades, Nov 8, 2004
  3. Dev

wflem007

Well, I recently added the X10 V3 Dac, PSU V3 and just a couple of weeks ago, the X-10 Line Buffer, to my main playback sources of Audiomecca Obsession CDP and Sony 555ES MiniDisc player.

I'm stll not convinced in my own mind about the Buffer, though something is missing when I disconnect it but I'm damned if I know what that is so I kept it in.

Very pleased and happy with the Dac/PSU which I bought as a combo.

When I read the manual that came with the Dac it was described as "the best at any price" so modesty plays no part of AM's philospy.

Hell, I can't reliably tell the difference between CD and MD so I'll let the big boys fight over that one.

wflem007, Nov 8, 2004
  4. Dev

Lt Cdr Data om

Actually, they seem to come up all the time secondhand.

Joel, it means they are in the habit of churning stuff out and it becoming last months model as quickly as mass market jap companies do.
    never implied anything about quality, just the turnaround.

Lt Cdr Data, Nov 9, 2004
  5. Dev

daytona

Anthony believes that all his hifi products should be 'limited edition' by design!
    i guess he feels it imparts a certain kudos and allows them to retain their used values better. it's fortuitous, then, that he uses limited availability tubes in his designs. he also believes that repeat business is a stong part of his success and this may explain why used items appear frequently. it's hard to argue when the success is there for all to see.

it is a shame however that the marketting machine is not quite so well thought out as i believe there are only so many times a customer can be asked to change his hifi in pursuit of a better sound.

still it's good to have a different angle on the industry otherwise everyone would be doing it the same way! and who's philosophy would you rather that was?

daytona, Nov 10, 2004
  6. Dev

Lt Cdr Data om

Personally, I think the reason you see so many secondhand is people get taken in by the claims, (god knows how many times, do we never learn about things that promise everything and fail to deliver) , then find out they are no better than a pioneer a400 for £80....,( indeed I a-b'd the a400 with a 250 watt monster mf amp, and the pioneer absolutely trounced it.)
    .... or a cheapo dvd, get seriously pissed, and realise they have paid £3000, and try to recoup their cash.
    Personally, I would abolish marketing, I believe it only causes problems and disappointment, if something promises the world and fails as invariably most will, dharma will follow, if something isnt' hard sold, you cannot be dissappointed.

ie marketing...brilliant.... real life medicore...result = disappointment.

marketing just says look at me, I am here, I make no claims

in real life, hmm not bad at all, result= no disappointment

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2004
    Lt Cdr Data, Nov 10, 2004
  7. Dev

daytona

think you're being a bit harsh there. there's nothing wrong with MF sound, hey dozens o' people like it!
    it is the definitive round earth gear and that's fine, if that's what floats your boat. :MILD:

daytona, Nov 10, 2004
  8. Dev

Lt Cdr Data om

perhaps they have had a lobotomy which causes them to beleive the crazy hyped bullshit claims and actually like aural stupor. :D
    There is nothing inherently wrong, its pleasant enuff, just in comparison its dull.

Its not harsh, the amp was an a1001, I had massive expectations, monster bass, clarity in spades, I forked out a fortune, aided and abetted by hifi mags saying it was gods gift for nasty speakers, only to find a simple japanese mass market amp made far more music than this anaesthetized lump. Its wastn' ABSOLUTE BAD, it was just RELATIVE poor. That's harsh, spending all that, and finding the truth that makers claims are bollux.

fortunately, nirvana is pending and the true path to enlightnement has been found.

MF need to realise that simply having a perfect pcb layout is not justification for saying this sounds the best EVER.
    I have an amp that make 6% 2nd harmonic and 3% 3rd harmonic distortion, and uses 1930's technology, and it makes mf sound like computer sound.

Marketing is verging upon blantant lies, you are being lied to, hoodwinked, only told 1/2 truths, information is limited, claims without backup, proof, verification, this is the evil that is marketing.
    Find out the truth for yourself, question all, if a claim is made, ask the basis for it...research, testing, figures? reports? believe nothing, question all.If they cannot or will not give a specific direct answer, flag the claims.

Fortunlately, most here are pretty wise.

Sadly, we are not taught this. In the history of philosophy, and our educational past, we were taught to engage in dialectic, the ways of truth and proof. This now has largely gone awol, and people do not have ways to filter and eliminate bull.

A spurious claim is meaningless unless backed up with cast iron proof, and if there is none, it shoudln't even be there.

Take away colouration from the world of hifi and you listen in black and white.

9. Dev

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

here endeth the lesson Amen

wadia-miester, Nov 10, 2004
  10. Dev

analoguekid Planet Rush

Data I take it your not going to be demming the new A5 superamp then?

analoguekid, Nov 10, 2004
  11. Dev

Lt Cdr Data om

sure its very nice and all that, but probably just not as good to me as other stuff.

I will always give things a try, just in case things have changed.

sorry to get a bit preachy.

12. Dev

analoguekid Planet Rush

I was being a little sarcastic data, re your last coupla posts, anyone would think Michaelson stole yer girlfriend.

FWIW I kinda liked my MF stuff when I had it, but the more recent stuff is living off the hype, listened recently to the nuvista M3 amp, and felt that the old xa1 showed it a clean pair of heels, TBH I blame the mags as much as MF, but have also heard that some if not all MF reviewed kit is, shall we say not exactly the same as the retail stuff, the reviewers kit is not just a random production sample, this has been going on for a while and I have it from a reputable source.

No need to be sorry.

13. Dev

axe victim

seeing as I've got a Nuvista m3 for sale I thought I'd put in my thoughts

LCD,
    you forked out a fortune for an A1001 and thought it was poor
    did you not demo it first? you believed the "hype"?

daytona,
    limited availability tubes? the nuvista is available check the internet

the nuvista I bought replaced a naim pre/power, 62/hicap-250 that I'd
    had for ten years. I demo'd it against Krell, Sugden, Cyrus etc. etc
    it wiped the floor with all of them. I listen to everything from Eva Cassidy
    to Rage Against the Machine, David Sylvian to Led Zeppelin, all with a
    stupid grin on my face.
    the reason I'm selling? I've just got a pair of ATC scm50 active's.

axe victim, Nov 10, 2004
  14. Dev

Tubes arn't limited its the the sockets, mind you still doesn't help the sound of the M3 though

wadia-miester, Nov 10, 2004
  15. Dev

analoguekid Planet Rush

I thought the M3 had a muddy lifeless sound, bass seemed to hang in a lump between the speakers, was slow and lacking leading edge dynamics, heard with cary 306/200 and proac d25, maybe it needs carefull matching.

16. Dev

axe victim

there's nothing wrong with the sound
    its your ears that are at fault ;)

axe victim, Nov 11, 2004
  17. Dev

analoguekid Planet Rush

Nope disagree I know what I heard, I was an MF user BTW and was looking at the M£ as a replacement for an XA1 and pair of XA50's left me underwhelmed, maybe in your setup it gelled, but I found it dull, mind you that may not have been helped with the prozacs, but nowt wrong with my ears.

analoguekid, Nov 11, 2004
  18. Dev

axe victim

muddy, lifeless, slow.
    hang on let me check,

no, not my nuvista

(epos es22 speakers, cyrus disc/dacmaster, naim speaker cable)

axe victim, Nov 11, 2004
  19. Dev

Axe,

Fraid not sir, having owned an M3 I can agree 100% with AK, though Graham N & Dom T are firm believers in the M3 and feel they have no equal in the sub £3k league, me I'd rather eat dry white toast and have beer bottles thrown at me, but each to their own

wadia-miester, Nov 11, 2004
  20. Dev

axe victim

sorry AK but the bit about the ears was a reply to wadia-miester
    your post got in first.

just goes to show, let your own ears be the judge,

I'm off to bed now

goodnight all

axe victim, Nov 11, 2004
Ask a Question