The worse email ever

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Nov 12, 2003.

1. amazingtrade

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I've had this one below several times

MO!, Nov 13, 2003
  2. amazingtrade

Graham C

Jeez AT, these kids nowadays. It's only 10 years since Windows 3.x...and we were having to add IP as an extra..
    Why do we all have to use a firewall?? Can't we just have a system that anyone can use [geek or otherwise?]. I mean fair enough, if you're looking where you shouldn't be..and you think the Feds are after you...etc
    Anyone can look for an Outlook database on my PC..cos it ain't there. And I think viruses gave up on my Win95 a while back..

Graham C, Nov 13, 2003
  3. amazingtrade

michaelab desafinado

Yes - you get the junk filtering. The free account has some limits on importing POP mail from other accounts though. Best read the details.

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 13, 2003
  4. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Thanks I will check that out tonight, if I have to pay its only £10 or so.
    The point is is that there is always hidden programs in the form of freeware you may not be aware of, can you account for every single file on your computer? With windows 95 its a bit easier but with XP there must be 10,000 files alone fo the operating system.

He should not all need firewalls but I did an experiment with XP and used it without a firewall at the height of the Blaster virus and within ten minutes my PC kept coming up with the 60 minute shut down warning.

I use a router now for my connection as its far more reliable and secure. (at least in theory)

Martin I take it you remember the Trumpet Winsock.dll well then. I remember having to load that everytime I needed net access with win 3.1

amazingtrade, Nov 13, 2003
  5. amazingtrade

Rodrigo de Sá This club's crushing bore

The effect you described - the Nigerian thing - is known in Psychology as the foot in the door technique: you yeld a little, you're bound to yeld further.

In ethology it is known as the Concorde effect: since you just put in some serious money you'll try very hard (put more and more money into into it).

There is a very interesting book on this kind of psychological effects:

Influence , by Robert Cialdini. Do an Amazon search and buy it, read it through, and you'll suddenly become a more inteliigent person.

Simple as that: once you know the mechanisms, you are - relatively - protected from the effect.

tThis is the link;
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...73967/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_3_1/202-7372091-6410205

It is well worth it: you'll save yourself a lot of money. I tried it, actually tested it, and got away with it.

Rodrigo de Sá, Nov 14, 2003
  6. amazingtrade

mr cat Member of the month

I read somewhere (years ago) that everythime this guy received junk mail (via snail mail) he'd open it up, and post it back in another piece of junk mail he'd already received...!

I'm tempted to do the same with some of these nigerian e-mails I recieve...:MILD:

mr cat, Nov 14, 2003
Ask a Question