They're coming to get us!!!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by MO!, Jun 27, 2003.

1. MO!

Robbo

Is it me, or have you been doing the patio for ages;) You must be almost as bad as me when it comes to getting round to doing diy!

Robbo

Robbo, Jun 28, 2003
  2. MO!

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Well there are three stages to this patio. There are two paths as well. Stage 1 is complete. Stage 2 is well underway. Stage 3 is a twinkle in my eye ;) Quality takes time.

Chris

technobear, Jun 28, 2003
  3. MO!

Dev Moderator

No arguments here from me Chris, I was referring to simply downloading with no intention of buying.

Edited to add:-

I'm not sure of the crap radio idea. I agree most of what is broadcast IS crap but is their fault or is it what their biggest audience (teenagers?) want. Here in London we seem to have a fairly wide choice from stations that cater for Jazz, easy listening or latest hits etc and IIRC Capital FM recently admitted that perhaps they are starting to lose their way by concentrating too much on the chart hits and not catering for a wider audience, so they obviously realise all is not well;) .

I'm not sure what the answer is, but could it be that just like the record industry they are trying to come up with new tunes that will attract listeners but we as customers have perhaps diversified our tastes too much? Perhaps there isn't much room for creativity in the music industry because all good ideas have already been explored or should I say milked/recycled?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2003
    Dev, Jun 28, 2003
  4. MO!

timpy Snake Oil free!!!

Are you sure? I get the distinct impression that because I'm not a pre-pubescent girl, that they're simply not interested in whether I buy music or not. They certainly aren't trying to sell me any.

They are hardly bombarding us with new talent, merely recycling stuff (tat much of it) for a new unsuspecting generation who's love of fashion is greater than their love of music. Who cares whether the music is any good so long as they can sell the "product". The music industry has embraced this situation with open arms and is making a killing, in the end though, they will sign their own death warrant. No one will take them seriously, and why should they. Unfortunately there are too few record labels left that aren't affiliated with one of the main ones. Some of the sub-divisions still have some credibility though.

Cheers

timpy, Jun 28, 2003
  5. MO!

The radio question is a difficult one. I spent a fair chunk of last year in the States and the same thing is happening over there. You still get a wide diversity of radio stations playing different styles of music, BUT even on those, you still hear the same popuplar tracks over and over. They rarely venture into anything you might not have heard before.

I used to like Kiss FM when I lived near London. Can't get it here so for dance music it's Friday and Saturday evenings on Radio 1 or Galaxy (Vibe?). These shows aren't too bad and I do get to hear new stuff.

Apart from those shows, Radio 1 seems to be wall-to-wall dross whenever I tune in. Radio 2 is a bit better in that the DJs are not so inane but I still don't get to hear anything other than greatest hits.

I hardly ever get to hear rock on the radio. I really miss Tommy Vance and Fluff Freeman. Those shows were good. They introduced me to a lot of great music. I used to tape it and then try and track down the CDs. Success rate wasn't very high. Still isn't. Why does the music industry make it so hard to buy the music you want?

Chris

technobear, Jun 28, 2003
  6. MO!

Radio is goping to die anyway. Our beloved FM system is being replaced with something that has worse sound quality than the worst MP3. The technology is capable of near CD levels of performance. Sadly the broadcasters have gone for quantity rather than quality. They believe that we want more dross and never mind what it sounds like. Perhaps they are right that it doesn't matter what it sounds like as most people won't want to listen to it for long anyway and will simply switch off.

Chris

technobear, Jun 28, 2003
Ask a Question