Totem Mani-2 speakers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by michaelab, Dec 29, 2004.

1. michaelab

BerylliumDust WATCH OUT!!!

Merlin,

Once Tim de Paravicini said (we were at 1985):

PART I:

"Ten years ago in Stereophile, I said that digital was never going to work well in the chosen format. Digital should use a 400 kHz sampling rate and 24-bit words. Then it will satisfy the hearing mechanism and won't have a digital sound. Digital has a "sound" purely because it is based on lousy mathematics. The manufacturers presuppose too simplistic a view of our hearing mechanism.

But manufacturers don't want to change - it's the lowest-common-denominator syndrome. It's like 525-line television, which allows you only X amount of resolution. With digital, you've fixed your resolution parameters, where analog never had that problem.

I've been pioneering work on a CD player that runs at 88k, but it only works with CDs that were cut at 88k."

PART II:

"I still do work on the vinyl record; it still can be advanced. The number of vinyl molecules passing the needle every second is equivalent to half a gigahertz. So there ain't a lot wrong with it, fundamentally. You can carry on improving it without losing compatibility. It's like good old 35-mm films - you carry on improving films, but there's nothing to stop you from shoving them through the same old projectors!"

PART I:

That's why oversampling (when properly implemented) works to some extent, although we are ultimately "guessing"...

Today CD players all have virtually equal flat frequency responses in the 20Hz-20kHz range, it's what happens (or what that doesn't happen) beyond 20kHz that makes the difference...

PART II:

"The number of vinyl molecules passing the needle every second is equivalent to half a gigahertz"...

It's really a petty we still need RIAA equalization as "bass courtesy of a tt", isn't it?... the lower the frequency the wider the groove and the greater the difficulties for the cartridge to follow it, thus the higher the distortion... and then high frequency noise from the contact between the stylus and the groove...

I guess we will always have the same old vinyl "sound".

Happy new digital year to all!

BerylliumDust, Dec 31, 2004
  2. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Only listened to vinyl but CD can certainly do "proper bass" - I assume you think that WM and Robbo's CD systems can do proper bass? ;)

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 31, 2004
  3. michaelab

Michael,

Did you know that Robbo's CD player oversamples to 24-bit/352.8kHz?

"Digital should use a 400 kHz sampling rate and 24-bit words"... Tim de Paravincini said.

Sorry Tim... I didn't manage to get it higher than Robbo's.

Happy new analog year to you Michael!

BerylliumDust, Dec 31, 2004
  4. michaelab

merlin

Funnily enough Michael, the answer would be no. Once you have your TT at home, you will see what I mean I suspect.

merlin, Dec 31, 2004
  5. michaelab

angi73

how about for one minute disregarding all the technical theory bollocks and just allowing yourself to like the way a particular speaker sounds, no matter what configuration it takes!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2005
    angi73, Jan 1, 2005
  6. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Angus - well said :) . merlin - I'll let you know about the bass when I get my TT home.

Michael.

michaelab, Jan 1, 2005
  7. michaelab

FOR ONE MINUTE?!?!?! Give me a break... I've done it for TWO LONG YEARS and I didn't get anywhere, no matter how much I was willing to spend... I even didn't bother to listen cheap stuff like Rotel. Only at the very end of last year was first time I heard a Rotel...

I've managed to keep my car for more than four years now and still happy, my girlfriend for seven and still even happier, my football team (FC PORTO) since I've started to like football (well, what could I say... WORLD CHAMPIONS!), my old music from the eighties... so how come I didn't manged to keep a lousy hi-fi system when there isn't any relevant technological advance since the CD appearance?

Fortunately, this is a new year for me... I leave the bollocks to you because you always managed to find a good theory for it.

Me, I just want to know what I'm buying... I like long-term satisfaction!

And finally, I'm happy... I hope it can last like most things in my life!

BerylliumDust, Jan 1, 2005
  8. michaelab

angi73

haha, i think you just proved my point

handbags anyone?

angi73, Jan 2, 2005
  9. michaelab

You see, another theory of yours...

What you should be worried about is why "the number of vinyl molecules passing the needle every second is equivalent to half a gigahertz" and when replacing the molecules for bits we get an equivalent to 2.89 gigahertz passing the laser (even if "based on lousy mathematics") and even then, for too many people, we are not having a clear advantage of CD systems over their vinyl couterparts...

What is wrong then?... I really hope you can also have a good theory on that...

BerylliumDust, Jan 2, 2005
Ask a Question