transparence dipole loudspeaker

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Johnny, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Johnny

greg Its a G thing

Makes sense to me.

greg, Jan 11, 2006
  2. Johnny

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

Absolutely. And (here it comes), this even holds true if there is NO direct sound path between the instruments and you, that is if the only sound arriving with you is from the diffuse field. How the human auditory system achieves this is an interesting subject of study....

The subject is majorly complex and gives me headaches.

But, if we can tell such differences on diffuse sound field the implication is that somehow our auditory system is able to recover the original pattern from under all the various reflections. So, just as the spectral distribution of energy in the diffuse field seems to largely dictate the percieved tonality it would seem that the major reflections also impact on the perception, so one might postulate that not only the direct arrival needs to be time/pulse coherent, but also at least the MAJOR late arrivales (in other words non diffused or absorbed early reflections).

This admittedly is largely conjecture, based strictly on observation and empirical evidence....

Ciao T

3DSonics, Jan 11, 2006
  3. Johnny

Folks,

Maybe much of this debate can be shortcircuited.

There are now two pairs of Transparence on Demo, one with Walrus in Central London and another at Noteworthy Audio in Aylesbury Buckinghamshire. Rather then discuss the subject to death, might it not be a good idea to be empirical and just go and have a listen? This may answer more questions than I ever can....

Ciao T

3DSonics, Jan 11, 2006
  4. Johnny

Johnny

Acrylic is cheap. Does this mean he is using a £1000 drive unit ? I doubt it. ;)

Johnny, Jan 11, 2006
  5. Johnny

penance Arrogant Cock

Acrylic is not that cheap, extruded is slightly cheaper than cast, but for large sheets of a decent thickness it is not cheap.

penance, Jan 11, 2006
  6. Johnny

Hi,

Sorry Johhny, you are not allowed to ask any new questions until you have answered the old ones that where asked of you in other threads.

L8er T

3DSonics, Jan 11, 2006
  7. Johnny

Johnny

Mr Loesch, as a potential customer, I expect you to provide the answers to my questions:

you have stated the size of the baffle to be 67 x 105 cm .

you HAVEN'T stated the roll off of the response to 60 or 50 hz.

I would like to know what the roll off rate is ? are you implying that the response is
    -3db at 60 hz ?

How did you measure the response ?

thankyou. Johnny

Johnny, Jan 11, 2006
  8. Johnny

penance Arrogant Cock

Johnny,
    You have made a lot of statements since you started trolling ZG, but you have backed up none of it. You have repeatedly ignored questions.

YOU are expected to answer these questions, put up or shut up!

YOU havent stated your reasons for trolling, i mean ignoring questions.

How do YOU measure your own ignorance?

Thank you,
    Mr P.

penance, Jan 11, 2006
  9. Johnny

penance Arrogant Cock

PS. Johnny Boy,
    If you do know of a cheap supply of acrylic, please share.

No?
    Didnt think so:rolleyes:

penance, Jan 11, 2006
  10. Johnny

Hi,

You can expect a lot, but forgive me if I tell you that I expect you to be a timewaster and not customer and that secondly my products are only available to discerning music lovers who behave reasonable, you are hence disqualified on both counts.

Past that, you still have so many outstanding questions posed to you to answer satisfactory that your turn to ask more yourself has not come.

L8ter T

3DSonics, Jan 11, 2006
  11. Johnny

PS,

The frequency response of any open baffle may derived using the mathematical formulas contained in:

A Model of Open-Baffle Loudspeakers 5025 (H-6)
    Juha Backman
    Nokia Mobile Phones
    FIN-00045 Nokia Group, Finland
    Presented at
    the 107th Convention
    1999 September 24-27
    New York

This is available from the AES Website for a modest cost. The calculations are left to the august reader.

For those wishing to take my word for it (I have this paper here), Mr. Backman illustrates a -3db point of around 100Hz for a baffle 30 X 40cm in dimension (this assumes a driver with a perfectly flat frequency response and the baffle in free space), which scales lineary with baffle circumference.

A Spreadsheet based on a simplified version of Mr Backmans mathematics was published by me in the public domain a while back, which combines driver response, baffle response and boundary effects, a google search for xlbaffle.xls will reveal find this easily.

Ciao T

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2006
    3DSonics, Jan 11, 2006
  12. Johnny

Stereo Mic

So how exactly does the ear differentiate between two identical notes played at the exact same time but with very small positional changes?

Thorsten I have heard these on many occasions being on good terms with Peter. not my cup of tea I'm, afraid - simply too coloured and characterful for me. Worth a trip if you live locally though. Out of interest, do you find the active promotion of your brand on this forum and others as effective as traditional advertising methods?

Stereo Mic, Jan 11, 2006
  13. Johnny

Hi,

Unless the notes are played by robots on massproduced violins exactly tuned iden tical they will not play identical notes, only very similar ones... ;-)

That is fine with me. They are by no means for everyone. They are a limited attempt to show what can be done if you take the rulebook and throw it out of the window.

You may find actually that I do not promote my products either here or on other forums (nor do I advertise). I have not started a single thread about my own products here, and have not mentioned them other than in passing in other contexts. If you call that active promotion, sorry, you find me rather incredulous as to your allegations.

L8er T

3DSonics, Jan 11, 2006
  14. Johnny

Graham C

I haven't read the article, but I think open baffles are one of the most misrepresented speaker types about [not by yourself - so far I agree with what you have found]

For example, it is usually said that they roll off at 6dB/oct determined by baffle size. This is generally rot in any practical setup. Firstly, they would be 6dB/oct [baffle size rolloff] down to the resonant freq [usually low without the box to stiffen it], then 6 + 12dB/oct from the added driver compliance rolloff [just like every other suspended driver].

However this is also wrong, because you face one side so the front pressure goes toward you, while the rear goes away. Only some will directly diffract from the back to cancel to the front..the rest goes away from the listener. 2 things then happen to the back pressure:

1] some will pass through the room walls never to return. This cannot cancel the front wave, limiting rolloff
    2] some will bounce off the rear/side walls to return delayed, to rolloff the reponse at a much lower freq than the baffle size suggests, because it ALL has to bounce from the room boundaries before ALL the pressure can significantly reduce the front sound.

Graham C, Jan 12, 2006
  15. Johnny

Stereo Mic

Stereo Mic, Jan 12, 2006
  16. Johnny

zanash

Stereo Mic.....

I actually think you've been mislead by Johnny and others. By there asking questions about various products items and approaches, it would be impossible for anyone involved in their design sale or association to be able to answer the threads with out mentioning such examples. Often questions are asked and answered on different threads so unless you have read them all its sometimes difficult appreciate why answers can be as they art.

The alternative approach is to go straight to the moderators, who do a fantastic and often very difficult job in looking after this forum. But as its clear to me nothing has been said out of turn ...as it appears no posts have been moved or deleted.

zanash, Jan 12, 2006
  17. Johnny

zanash

Maybe Johnny could tell us why he thinks Acrylic is cheap ? I only ask this as I need some and my current quotes would make your hair stand on end ie £100 plus for a couple or three metre's square of 5mm black, and that was trade!

zanash, Jan 12, 2006
  18. Johnny

Stereo Mic

Hey Zanash,

I don't think there is anything wrong with it at all. It's been going on for months, long before Johnny turned up. I just think it's worth pointing out for lurkers so that they are in the picture that's all.

Stereo Mic, Jan 12, 2006
  19. Johnny

zanash

I would agree with you I only used Johnny as an example. I also repeat that if a specific question is asked about a anything, it would be stupid not to provide an answer if you were able, otherwise there would be no point in joining the forum.

zanash, Jan 12, 2006
  20. Johnny

lordsummit moderate mod

To be fair, Thorsten has openly acknowledged that he runs a business relating to hi-fi. He includes the link in his signature as we've asked him to do so, if he's asked a question pertinent to his business why shouldn't he answer it? It was not Thorsten who started this thread. There are plenty of other topics and products that could not be discussed were we to ban contributors from discussing products made by members.
    The moderators can and will only act if there is a breach of the AUP. Whilst some members sail close to the wind with regards to personal attacks, I haven't as yet seen any evidence that action is necessary. I would hope that as most of you are adults, there are of course one or two I have my doubts about:) you are capable of making sensible and informed decisions.

lordsummit, Jan 12, 2006
Ask a Question