Turntable confusion

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by sammyo, Aug 7, 2009.

1. sammyo

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi Paul

top stuff.. can I ask where you're based? Would be interesting to hear one of these puppies. I like the basic design ideas.

bottleneck, Aug 14, 2009
  2. sammyo

Paul Ranson

Chris,

I'm in Brackley so I reckon something can be arranged.

Paul

Paul Ranson, Aug 14, 2009
  3. sammyo

Samantha

Yep Dev - I think he did miss my point. ;)

I'll repeat it. Irrespective, some of us prefer the presentation using vinyl. Not arguing whether it is right or wrong, nor the technical side of why it would be - just saying it is so.

My partner has been doing a lot of audio work (he is very techy) and did explain to me at length why vinyl can appeal more and what it does that (so far) digital sources have been unable to recreate. However it went over my head by a considerable margin although I do recall that some was to do with the maths used in decoding digital. He also showed me some graphs illustrating some of the work he is doing to improve digital outputs and the shocking amount of clipping that is in the recording of some popular music CDs.

The technical/science stuff is irrelevant though.

Music is something most of us get an emotional response with. It is something we all hear a little differently and we all have different tastes. Therefore it is only to be expected that we will enjoy it differently and some will like one presentation type, and others won't.

The OP obviously likes music played back from vinyl, therefore no real reason for anyone to go evangelical and try to convince him that he'd be better with digital.

Samantha, Aug 17, 2009
  4. sammyo

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I am a pedant, it is true. It has been pointed out so therefore it must be true ! :D

I really disagree with the last sentence above though. I rely on technical explanations to help me understand.

Also, if clipping is recorded in popular music cd's - then this will almost certainly be on the vinyl copy of the album too. They're not going to re-master it for a handful of vinyl sales...all IMO.

bottleneck, Aug 17, 2009
  5. sammyo

Paul Ranson

A little while ago I looked at the CD of 'Raising Sand' and capture from the vinyl. They were both similar mixes, both were hugely compressed and 'loud' but the vinyl wasn't as clipped. So similar waveforms, but where the CD hits the wall the vinyl had shape.

But the problem with this album is the chronically loud and nauseating sound. And this was common to both formats. A bit of clipping isn't audible...

Paul

Paul Ranson, Aug 17, 2009
  6. sammyo

Dev Moderator

A few years ago, I spoke to a sound engineer working for a Record label and he told me that in his view the reason for the difference in sound between vinyl and CD stems from mastering. In a nutshell, it took a lifetime to learn the traditional skill with vinyl (he personally only respected about 3-4 mastering engineers) but now a days, "engineers" equipped with an Apple or PC think they know all there is to know;). He also agreed that the recordings are compressed because now the groups do not care about the dynamic range, they all want to sound as loud as any other member of their group or their instrument.

Dev, Aug 18, 2009
  7. sammyo

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

At the very least most records will have the level lowered as the cutting head simply can't put that level down, every frequency would be distorted across the board, bass worst.

sq225917, Aug 18, 2009
Ask a Question