Visit to Switzerland

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Tenson, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Tenson

The Devil IHTFP

My turntable is in the corner of my room, and sounds perfectly OK.

The Devil, Oct 16, 2005
  2. Tenson

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Stands, no. I've ordered some Target MR70's.

Racks, yes. There's a pile of IKEA LACK side tables on my living room floor awaiting assembly. I need to get the big black slab in from the garage and touch up the paint.

Absorbers. I can't find 25mm Rockwool anywhere. Can't find 25mm high density foam at a sensible price or anywhere locally.

technobear, Oct 16, 2005
  3. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

Nope, you are looking at 50m really. You can cut it in half though if you are careful.

Tenson, Oct 16, 2005
  4. Tenson

mosfet

Try local builders merchants or insulation suppliers for the rockwool slabs Chris.

Word of caution tho'. Mineral wools (rock wool and glass fibre) give off fibres that are low in bio-solubility. When inhaled they don't dissolve easily causing possible lung irritation so maybe not best suited to the domestic environment if you have children about or are prone to asthma. Sheepswool batts are an alternative but a similar price to acoustic foams.

mosfet, Oct 16, 2005
  5. Tenson

I have several local suppliers for 50mm Rockwool slabs but I don't really want the absorbers to stick out 3 inches from the wall (allowing for the all-important air gap). 2 inches would be tolerable.

If I use Rockwool, it will be behind curtain material on the front (sateen) and something cheap with a close weave from behind.

I may have to bite the bullet and buy some acoustic foam. Very annoying when I know it's the same as the stuff they make cushions out of, just three times the price! Case in point - one of the acoustic suppliers wanted £25 for a can of special spray adhesive to stick its foam pads up with. My @rse! I don't think it costs £22 to print a different label on a can of spray adhesive you can buy for £3 down your local DIY emporium :mad:

Anyway, I seem to have hijacked Simon's thread. This was supposed to be about Titian's system :D

technobear, Oct 16, 2005
  6. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

Chris, from what I understand a 2" solid rockwool slab directly on the wall will work better than 1" slab and a 1" air gap. The gap is very good for improving low frequency absorption but its only really used as a trick to improve what you have without buying more absorber ;)

Tenson, Oct 16, 2005
  7. Tenson

mosfet

In terms of acoustic absorption 50mm slabs bonded or hung directly on the wall will be more effective than 25mm slabs plus a 25mm air gap.

Using an air gap is a simple technique to increase broadband absorption by placing the absorptive material a distance away from the reflective boundary where wave velocity is higher (at the point of reflection wave velocity is zero and increases sinusoidally after this).

In short thicker is always better and thicker with an air gap better still.

Not the same stuff Chris. Upholstery foams are closed cell. Acoustic foams are open cell; it's this gas porosity that makes them effective acoustic absorbers.

The cheapest suppliers I know of are below.
    http://www.mtraudio.com/
    http://www.studiospares.com/

mosfet, Oct 16, 2005
  8. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

I think acoustic foam is a lot more complex than normal cushion foam. Besides being open cell there is a lot of attention paid to how well it slows the velocity of air particles. I don't know for sure but I suspect that on a microscopic level it has a very uneven surface to increase air contact. Fibrous materials absorb sound because the small, small hairs vibrate in sympathetic motion to the air and thus use up its energy. There is also surface friction. Foam probably employs a similar technique but is nice because its easy to pour in a mould ;)

Tenson, Oct 16, 2005
  9. Tenson

matty

Most foams are cut from a bloke, not moulded, thats why profiled foams cost more money, those fancy pyramids have to be programmed in!

matty, Oct 16, 2005
  10. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

I thought so at first, but seeing some very complex shapes... how the hell do you cut them? A pyramid or something you can do with a straight hot wire but how do you do the other things with complex shapes?

Tenson, Oct 16, 2005
  11. Tenson

matty

Our profoam is cut from a block, i think with a wire, its all computer controlled, same with our pyramid profiled stuff, some stuff, like wedges, can be cut easier, as 2 pieces will come out of one thickness easily enough(thats why certain brands have that, its cheaper to produce....)but other things require a block to be cut off, then the pattern cut from that.

ever wondered why there isnt much black acoustic foam in fancy shapes? the blocks cant be made with a uniform colour throughout, so it cant be guarenteed that the colour will be true. If it was moulded, it would be a POP to do, and would cost less. The basic materials are not that expensive(except Basotech), its the designs in them that cost the money to produce

matty, Oct 16, 2005
  12. Tenson

The Devil IHTFP

Any system which can cope with the dynamic range of orchestral music, and reproduce acoustic instruments convincingly, will have a very easy time with anything else.

The Devil, Oct 17, 2005
  13. Tenson

That sounds like a fair statement. I find the problems start the moment the electric guitars come in. They are, afterall, pure distortion and can sound quite awful on an accurate system :D

technobear, Oct 17, 2005
  14. Tenson

The Devil IHTFP

Accurately-reproduced distortion is rather pleasing.

The Devil, Oct 17, 2005
  15. Tenson

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

Tell that to Derek Bailey :D

leonard smalls, Oct 17, 2005
  16. Tenson

The Devil IHTFP

Must be an "in-joke".

The Devil, Oct 17, 2005
  17. Tenson

Philip King Enlightened User

Philip King, Oct 17, 2005