Walkman vs iPod?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by greg, Mar 12, 2006.

1. greg

michaelab desafinado

That price is unbelievable. 30Gb iPod is about £220 from Apple and meaningful discounts are almost unheard of so I'd proceed with caution and ask them how they can manage such a low price. Could be grey-market US imports.

Michael.

michaelab, Mar 16, 2006
  2. greg

greg Its a G thing

Thanks for the heads-up Michael. I would be surprised though if eBuyer would sell grey imports, in our experience (ie. work wise) they have always proved to be excellent price and service-wise. I'll ask them though.

greg, Mar 16, 2006
  3. greg

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

My personal preference is to purchase from the apple store, the prices across the board should be similar anyhow and if things do go wrong you are straight to base and not through a third party.

garyi, Mar 16, 2006
  4. greg

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Surely you could still contact apple even if you bought elsewhere? I know the trader can usually be used in these cases, but I see no reason why you couldnt use the manufacturers warranty yourself.

PBirkett, Mar 16, 2006
  5. greg

yorkio

It's also worth keeping an eye on the refurb section of the Apple store. You get a hefty discount but still a full warranty etc. I got my iPod from there a couple of years ago and couldn't figure out what was refurbished about it - so far as I could tell it was a new one, just a third cheaper than anywhere else I could buy it.

yorkio, Mar 17, 2006
  6. greg

Doctor Jeep

The refurbished ones get new cases and to all intents and purposes do look brand new. The insides may be 'used' though but if they put a full warranty on it and the discount is decent it may be a good option.

Doctor Jeep, Mar 17, 2006
  7. greg

Heath

A lot of the electronics that eBuyer sell are grey imports. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing - the products are still fully featured, etc - you just need to be careful with the manufacturer warranties on some items. They're not the only trader that sources products on the grey market to lower prices though. I've had loads of monitors, etc, that have come through with european power cables in the box. I've never had a problem with eBuyer's customer service so wouldn't hesitate to buy from them, although I've never had to return anything under warranty (only when they've sent through the wrong item).

Heath

Heath, Mar 20, 2006
Ask a Question