Wall mounted racks

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Coda II, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Coda II

Coda II getting there slowly

They look like the sort of thing, if I can find some.
    Are they a separate frame and shelf?
    Found another pic of yours here and the fixing to the wall looks quite neat.

Coda II, Apr 12, 2005
  2. Coda II

ListeningEar

Thanks for the URL, interesting comments on the use of granite but it's all quite subjective really! Stating granite is crap for audio use is vague to say the least, what exactly were the effects? What type of granite was used? What are the test results in using granite under loudspeakers in comparison to using it for equipment supports?

I did read that there were bass and treble issues and that one thread stated that the life was sucked out of the music by using granite ubder their speakers. How does this compare to using it for shelving, especially if used with secondary isolation products?

Also, if granite is so 'crap' (technical term :p ), why is KR Audio building a brand new set of loudpseakers out of granite? Why is the new Opus 3 Continuo turntable manufactured out of granite?
    Questions, questions!!!!

If you have any working knowledge of stone you will know that there are numerous types of granite on the market which vary greatly. I think that unless anyone has tested all types of granite available using a blanket statement indicating that granite is 'crap', might be a little short-sighted.

But, it is good to get your feedback and I would like to know which type of granite you used and where it was purchased from. I will also talk with an old contact of mine who has performed considerable tests and experiments on metaillic and natural raw materials with a view to having a short-list of materials that make good equipment supports.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2005
    ListeningEar, Apr 12, 2005
  3. Coda II

penance Arrogant Cock

LE,
    I understand your sceptism, but it was crap ( I have no idea what type of granite, but it was rock!)

penance, Apr 12, 2005
  4. Coda II

ListeningEar

Very strange that it appears some people like to use granite while others avoid it.
    I am a big fan of natural stone and am quite prepared to go the extra mile to use it with the right damping material (if that's what's required), so I get both the look and sonic quality.
    Anyway, if my samples do not prove to be sonically pleasing, what have a I lost, a bit of development time;)
    Have to say that after reading that previous thread I hate Corian, that should be in room 101 along with lino from the 70's...

ListeningEar, Apr 13, 2005
  5. Coda II

maddog 2

The Target shelves have a metal frame and a spiked wooden shelf, probably veneered mdf at a guess.

You could always change the shelf for a stone/glass/carbon fibre sandwich/other which I have considered but never got round to. You can also fill the frames with expanding foam to make them less resonant (reputedly) but again I haven't done this so who knows...

Ideally you should bolts them into a solid brick wall. I use decent sized rawl bolts for mine as they do need to be well secured.

The Target shelves do come up on Ebay from time to time but they are getting harder to find cheap. There are a number of different varieties too. Mine have quite a thick frame, others use thinner tubes.

The other thing is that some allow you to position another component (eg amp) directly underneath, as I've done, whereas other have a supporting strut that gets in the way. This is only relevant if space is limited obviously.

maddog 2, Apr 13, 2005
  6. Coda II

ListeningEar

...plus with the tubular steel frame's you have the 'finger-flick' test! Flick the steel frame and listen to it's tonal quality, a distinct ringing sound can be heard.
    iF Designs came up with a laminate sheet metal design that removed this but this was only used by them in flat plate form I think.

7. Coda II

Also a fan of natural stone. The only reason for it being under my deck is that neither floor nor table are flat or level, so this gives me a platform to work with.

ListeningEar, I did mean it when I asked that you keep me posted. As you will be well aware, all sorts of claims are made both for and against various materials and the same material will give different results depending on where and how it is implemented.

The great thing about this place, and others like it, is that we get to share experiences and views and come to our own conclusions.

I've always liked lino, even the smell. Now marketed as Marmoleum and am hoping to use some when we get the floors done.

Coda II, Apr 13, 2005
  8. Coda II

ListeningEar

Gladly CODA II more than willing to share experiences.

...I bet that's only because you like to breakdance on it ;)

9. Coda II

Couldn't then; certainly can't now.

Do occaisionally dig out some old vinyl just for the memories though.

Streetsounds compilations anyone?

Coda II, Apr 13, 2005
  10. Coda II

ListeningEar

Ah yes, Mr. Morgan Khan, what superb compilations he put together ;)

11. Coda II

maddog 2

another photo here

[​IMG]

maddog 2, Apr 15, 2005
  12. Coda II

Levi_501 Its in The Jeans...

Levi_501, Apr 18, 2005
Ask a Question