What's the last record you listened to?

Discussion in 'General Music' started by sideshowbob, Jun 23, 2003.

1. sideshowbob

nsherin In stereo nirvana...

Listened to some of 'Hell Freezes Over' by the Eagles on the way into work today. A cracking live album!

nsherin, Jun 24, 2003
  2. sideshowbob

sideshowbob Trisha

Paddy McAloon, "I trawl the megahertz"

Everyone's been banging on about this album, so I bought it. Know very little about McAloon, really. I saw one of the first Prefab Sprout gigs, and had their first single (in typical arch 80s pop fashion, it was called "Lions in My Own Garden, Exit Someone", which spells out the name of the French town, Limoges, for some arsey reason), but otherwise they made no impact on me. They had a female singer with a silly hat on at the gig, I remember.

Anyway, apparently McAloon went temporarily blind recently, and ended up trawling the airwaves, picking up bits and pieces to use as the (spoken) lyrics for this record, with strings, brass, woodwind and keyboards as accompaniment. Results sound like a man in his 40s with too much time on his hands, frankly. Sonically very pretty, and interesting for the first 15 minutes or so, but ultimately lacking in cajones.

Next up, Albert Ayler's "Witches and Devils", to give things a bit of a kick.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jun 24, 2003
  3. sideshowbob

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

The Strokes - 'Is this it?'

best new release since.... the best release that came before it.

I really love this album. :D might subject it to people on valve day! heheh

havent yet figured why I play this lofi so much on my hifi.

Hopefully it means Im a well 'rounded' individual! - (you ever heard of a well flattened individual?!??!)

Chris

bottleneck, Jun 24, 2003
  4. sideshowbob

Robbo

this evening its:

Arab Strap, monday at the hug and strap (see other thread)

Eels, shootenanny (arrived today so this is a first listen - hmm not sure, a couple of tracks are good but need more time to judge)

Hallucinogen, Twisted - Simon posford psy trance. I often put this on when I am surfing the web.

Robbo

Robbo, Jun 24, 2003
  5. sideshowbob

Mekon Rent this space

Got up early, intending to do a slow recovery run into work. Instead, I listened to most of You are Free by Cat Power, and the first few tracks of Selling Live Water by Sole. That meant I was running late, so no recovery run, just aching calf muscles.

Mekon, Jun 25, 2003
  6. sideshowbob

MO! MOnkey`ead!

To nurse a hangover, Stacey Kent "Close your eyes" downloaded a few mp3s and thought worth further investigation. Not an album i've played much but a beautiful voice and some of the tracks are really good.

MO!, Jun 25, 2003
  7. sideshowbob

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

just finished listening to "tradional trinidad steel drums",and "the caribean in stereo,an introduction to the music of the caribean",trying to put a soundtrack together for a show im doing in a couple of weeks ,think i'll sneek some bob marley in there somehow:D

themadhippy, Jun 25, 2003
  8. sideshowbob

HenryT

Coincidence! Definitely agreed, a live album with definitely feeling of musical "performance" throughout. I was listening to this album last night whilst doing a bit of cable reviewing! ;)

Others albums played last night included:

David Hudson - Didgeralia (Didgeredo & percussion music)

Copland - Fanfare For The Common Man / Dance Episodes From Rodeo, etc

Karl Jenkins - Imagined Oceans (very chilled out small scale orchestral, percussion and vocal pieces, highly accessible and more pop than classical).

Sounds very interesting Hippy! :MILD: Don't suppose you could post up some more details like catalog numbers, etc for those 2 albums. I've been looking to buy some decent steel drum music. :)

HenryT, Jun 25, 2003
  9. sideshowbob

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

em slight error on the title of the first one its actually "the origanal trinidad steel band " cat no by6002/bys76002,on bounty records realesed through polydor.
    the second was on a cdr so no details im affraid,it olny had a few steel drum tracks on it,more sort of calypso type stuff

themadhippy, Jun 25, 2003
  10. sideshowbob

My name is Ron It is, it really is

Just fading away now, while I work –_Blur's 'Think Tank'.

I've always admired this lot rather than actually liked them; they seem to hold the listener at arm's length. But this is something different. It's a genuine departure, fusing a wide range of styles, fattening them up with dollops of rhythym, and topping the lot off with genuinely arresting lyrics. It's well recorded, too – has real depth.

Result: a hugely involving record that gets better with every listen.

My name is Ron, Jun 25, 2003
  11. sideshowbob

PBirkett VTEC Addict

I agree, hallucinogen in dub is really good, especially if you treat thyself to a few blunts beforehand, really good psychedelic, feel good, chilling tunes...

At the moment, I'm listening to Way Out West - Intensify.

PBirkett, Jun 25, 2003
  12. sideshowbob

soundzandpower BBQ?

Here comes the Duke LP. Original Trojan compilation of some Treasure Isle rock steady tunes...

soundzandpower, Jun 25, 2003
  13. sideshowbob

nsherin In stereo nirvana...

Currently listening to the new Steely Dan album, 'Everything Must Go', whilst copying it to an MD for tomorrow's walk into work. Quality stuff!

nsherin, Jun 25, 2003
  14. sideshowbob

Mekon Rent this space

Just got some stuff in the post from the states. Currently listening to:

Why? - Miss Ohio's Nameless

Attached Files:

Mekon, Jun 26, 2003
  15. sideshowbob

michaelab desafinado

Currently listening to:

Gling-Gló, by Björk Gudmundsdóttir & the Gudmundar Ingólfssonar Trio :eek: :D

Yes - it is the Björk :) A curiosity I found a while back. It's basically your standard jazz trio. Piano, bass, drums and Björk singing - all in Icelandic :eek: Can't tell you much more because the sleeve notes are all in Icelandic aswell - :club: :D

It's good though. Nice one to have on when you've got a dinner party or something - you can enjoy seeing who will be the first person to ask "Is that Björk singing??".

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 26, 2003
  16. sideshowbob

sideshowbob Trisha

Eyeless in Gaza - Drumming the Beating Heart

Actually, I've been listening to Eyeless in Gaza all afternoon (whenever I play one of their records, I end up playing most of them), but this is the one I'm listening to ATM.

One of the great "lost" bands of the 80s, inasmuch as I really don't understand why they didn't sell millions of records. A duo, Martyn Bates and Pete Becker, still recording, both together and separately. This is a 1982 album, contains some classic, beautiful, DIY electronica and singing, one cast-iron pop classic, the song "One by One", and the utterly gorgeous "Lights of April".

Favourite Eyeless in Gaza album is their first, Photographs as Memories, which includes one of my top 10 electro-pop songs ever, "Knives Replace Air". Other great Eyeless albums: Rust Red September, Pale Hands I Loved So Well, and Martyn Bates' exquisite solo album, Letters Written.

Angular, aggressive, lush, contemplative, sentimental, composed, improvised. They do a bit of everything, really, and they do it better than just about anyone else in 80s pop. They should have been huge.

-- Ian

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2003
    sideshowbob, Jun 27, 2003
  17. sideshowbob

Mekon Rent this space

I am just listening to Majesticons vs Infesticons: Beauty versus Ugly (the instrumentals). The Infesticons tracks are dope, as was the vocal version of the album. The Majesticons tracks are massively improved by ridding them of the nauseating vocals.

Mekon, Jun 27, 2003
  18. sideshowbob

joel Shaman of Signals

Ian,
    Here's a clue as to why they didn't sell millions: You love them :elephant:
    It is a shame they didn't achieve golbal domination. If they had, the Japanese tribute band would have been called *Eyeless in Ginza* - which is what I've been a few times over the years :guiness:

joel, Jun 29, 2003
  19. sideshowbob

sideshowbob Trisha

Joel, I think you may be onto something there...!

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jun 29, 2003
  20. sideshowbob

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I was rudely awoken to the sounds of Patsy Cline!

MO!, Jun 29, 2003
Ask a Question