Why did hifi+ publish a rip off issue?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by spxy, Jan 4, 2005.

1. spxy

griffo104

Being the cynic that I am it did appear to be a nice brochure for the brands/distributors that they seem to favour.

Does anyone know why they have only ever, as far as I am aware, reviewed one linn component (not including the 2nd hand feature on the lp12) ?

Considering Linn are one of the big boys of the UK hifi scene I find it strange that a UK magazine has almost totally ignored them - does RG not like Linn or Linn not like him ?

I just don't like awards in magazines such as this - I find it's just an excuse for a company to put an extra graphic on their adverts.

griffo104, Jan 6, 2005
  2. spxy

sideshowbob Trisha

Advertising is the single most important income stream for virtually every magazine, not just hi-fi magazines. Which is why retail magazines of any kind should be mostly ignored as sources of impartial advice, regardless of the sincerity or otherwise of individual reviewers.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jan 6, 2005
  3. spxy

penance Arrogant Cock

Indeed, Kay get annoyed whenever her nursing journal/magazine is delivered. It consists of around 75% adverts and <25% usefull articles.
    Seems madness for a profesional magazine.

penance, Jan 6, 2005
  4. spxy

Lt Cdr Data om

good on you, Ian :)
    hifi world isn't too bad, still has its moments tho'

Lt Cdr Data, Jan 6, 2005
  5. spxy

Saab

I have bought this issue,and enjoyed it,particularly the writer profiles (Paul Messenger doesn't list any speakers in his mown system though)

and I particularly liked RG's rant in the editorial,good on him for fighting back.In fact,fair play to him for entering a tit-for-tat battle with the forums,he could ignore it all,but he has got into ring and had a scrap.Can't knock him for that,even when he does say 'get a life',aimed squarely at the so called boffs:) excellent rant (I assume its aimed at comments made in the forums becuase i haven't seem much 'measuring' going on in the letter pages of the mags)

Saab, Jan 7, 2005
Ask a Question