£4K System

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Gulliver, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Gulliver

Tenson Moderator

Just thought (dunno why only now!), but some active speakers would be ideal, keeping the box count down and giving better sound for the money.

Paul is selling his PMC AML1 on Ebay at the moment and your friend would be very wise to snap them up. The price seems a little high though, £2,400 is more like it IMO. I had a pair of these for a long time and they are without peer. If you don't know, active speakers have a separate amp for each driver and active crossovers all specifically designed for that speaker and built in to them. The AML1 have about £4k of Bryston amps and crossover built in to them.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PMC-AML1-acti...yZ112516QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

All you need then is a pre-amp, CD-Player (still suggest the modified DEQ and CD transport so you can do room correction) and a turntable.

If you don't want to spend so much on the speakers/amps you can get some cheaper and still very good active speakers like the Mackie range, but the AML1 will deliver on the bass like no other so I really would suggest you go that route.

Tenson, Mar 8, 2007
  2. Gulliver

Snoo

You know, I just got a Rega Cursa and am still not convinced. I'm considering going back to using the 8000A again for a pre and trying to decide whether or not too keep it.

Also, whilst the new stuff feels a lot more solid, the earlier stuff feels cheap.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2007
    Snoo, Mar 9, 2007
  3. Gulliver

mr cat Member of the month

no offence tenson - but the average bloke hasn't the time or inclination to setup a deq1496...

mr cat, Mar 9, 2007
  4. Gulliver

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

would personally be highly upset if I started with four grand and ended up with rega or MF kit.

shoot me now :D

bottleneck, Mar 9, 2007
  5. Gulliver

Snoo

Surely you have to spend that on cables alone these days. Maybe some spare change for an iPOD?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2007
    Snoo, Mar 9, 2007
  6. Gulliver

Tenson Moderator

You don't have to use the room EQ, the modified version still makes an excellent DAC for the money. That doesn't need any more setting up than any other DAC.
    But, if I may say so, I don't see the difficulty in pressing 'AutoEQ'.

Still, I think the most important thing is to get some active speakers, in a set-up like this they would be ideal. If you didn't want a turntable, you could have a whole system by simply adding a CD player with a built-in volume control.

A cheaper alternative to the AML1 is the Tannoy Ellipse - http://www.tannoy.com/Ellipse8

Tenson, Mar 9, 2007
  7. Gulliver

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

If someone is like this but at the same time wants bass correction, then I suggest the Velodyne SMS-1 (or a DD-12, SS-15 or DD-18 sub with it built in) which does the room correction in the more important bass area but has an auto-eq function that will automatically do the job in literally a few minutes for those not inclined to get into the manual details. Manual tweaking can be carried out after the auto-eq, if desired. It's a pleasure and highly user-friendly feature to see the tweaking happening in real time (whether auto or manual) on a TV or projector. Measurement mic is included, and there is no need for a PC.

SteveC, Mar 9, 2007
  8. Gulliver

Tenson Moderator

Steve, that is a good suggestion, especially if one wanted to use some smaller standmounts and the sub can be placed away in a corner. Does it automatically adjust its crossover to blend in with the main speakers nicely?

I'm not trying to 'fight for first place' here, but I should let you know the DEQ can do all of that too - it has an AutoEQ button. You plug a microphone in, tell it the range to EQ, press button, it fixes it.

Tenson, Mar 9, 2007
  9. Gulliver

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

No the crossover frequency and slope are part of optional manual tweaking. By default it has the most common home cinema setting, which happens to match the output of my AV processor just fine (I use a DD-15 and Linn Kinos AV).

SteveC, Mar 9, 2007
  10. Gulliver

mr cat Member of the month

true - but it did take me a few weeks to get up and running - this was how to connect it all together and how to use the actual unit - it's not a simple case of pressing the AutoEq button - but once mastered then it's a useful tool if you need it...

maybe you could write some kind of manual for beginners..?? - if one doesn't already exist...

mr cat, Mar 9, 2007
  11. Gulliver

Tenson Moderator

Actually, I have written a step-by-step guide on how to do the AutoEQ. I'll post it up some time.

I do remember your posts about the connections now. I think the main confusion was that Zanash gave you the wrong XLR plugs? I mean all you need is a digital input and an analogue output. Same as any other DAC.

Still, this is going OTT since the guy just wanted recommendations of kit to get for his friend. I'll leave it at that.

Tenson, Mar 9, 2007
  12. Gulliver

Levi_501 Its in The Jeans...

You do not like ??? I had one for years, could not find anything to replace it with that I liked, until I found the MF Audio Passive.

Out of curiosity, what are you using with it ?

Levi_501, Mar 9, 2007
  13. Gulliver

Snoo

I'm still gonna give it some time. Moving house next week so we'll see. It's very musical and some of my punk and messier music it deals with a lot better than the audiolab did as a pre. But on the stuff I used to enjoy before (strings and female vocals, mostly) it just doesn't have the wow factor.

I'm feeding an MF X-Ray into it. Then there is an 8000P going to some Castle Severn Mk 2 speakers. Admittedly a very audiolab set-up so it could just be a synergy thing. I'm wondering if maybe i like the 'lab sound too much to change.

Snoo, Mar 9, 2007
  14. Gulliver

JCL

I'm really suprised you're not more impressed by the Cursa. I tried a Cursa/Maia when I was selling my complete Audiolab set-up and it made the Audiolab sound flat and dull. Maybe swap the 8000P for a Maia ?. But if you do you must try and get hold of a pair of Totem Arro's or Staff's for a demo. A local dealer has that combo (with an Apollo) almost always on dem. I haven't heard anything nearly as good for the cash. Kinda wish I just went for that system instead of getting into my current nonsense.

JCL, Mar 9, 2007
  15. Gulliver

nando nando

hi, there is a diverse subject in this thread, i think's, the issue i think is that the person who created this merelly wantn's advice , forgive me but i do not think that he is interested in spicications on measurents, but more of a listening pleasure, correct me if i am wrong but every one has a personal view to the sound that gives them their optimun,, all kinds of manufactured equipment of "HI-FI" all around does (in my view) is the best , it is up to the individual to try and choose for him or her self, wether you do not like the designer or owner of a company means SFA.NANDO

nando, Mar 10, 2007
  16. Gulliver

Snoo

Well I moved my hi fi into the new house yesterday, though not had a proper listen it was sounding a bit sweeter. It was in a very large room before and it seems to have a very low gain and I wasn't as happy cranking it right up towards the stop. (Although Rega said it's fine).

Speaker positioning is an utter pig in the new room but I'll survive.

Sorry for the continued 'off-topic' btw.

Snoo, Mar 11, 2007
  17. Gulliver

Gulliver

Me, me, me, what about me!!

Seriously, thanks people for the excellent input, I really appreciate it.

Simon's modded DAC, is something I'm curious in for myself now, and will look into when I've money to spend in the future.

I'm a little concerned about advice of buying a Chinese labelled product. My past experience and conversations with people who've travelled there, is that there is an export grade distinct from their domestic market. Although I stand to be corrected.

Already purchased something from Nando in the past and can echo the positive sentiments already given.

Find the idea of active speakers interesting, but have to have a chance to audition. Alas my listenting experiences will be more limited than the majoirity of those on this forum.

Any more suggestions of kit that enjoys good synergy and can be auditioned?

Gulliver, Mar 12, 2007
  18. Gulliver

Tenson Moderator

Tenson, Mar 12, 2007
  19. Gulliver

Lautrec

for much less than £4k:

AAA5 s/h £350
    promitheus TVC preamp new £200
    s/h active ATC 20A £1500
    cables as per your taste s/h £250-300 max
    ---------------------------------
    £2350

nothing touches this under £7-8k new.

this leaves plenty of money for TT, rack and speaker stands. i am sure you can close everything in a range of £3k.

a possibly better CDP alternative could be quad CDP-II s/h £500 or benchmark DAC s/h £400 with any cheapish transport (£150-200).

this may need a plenty of patience to find good pieces s/h, but nothing is impossible.

Lautrec, Mar 12, 2007
  20. Gulliver

Levi_501 Its in The Jeans...

Snoo/JCL/Other that are interested

I agree with JCL, perhaps using the Cursa with the Audio powers is not the best thing, but you have to use what you have.

One other thing, I myself find the X ray to warm, adding this to the warmer (not hot) Cursa may warm things up so to speak !

The biggest problem I find wih Rega (electronics) is selling it S/H, as many 'punters' do not believe how good it is, although this can be said for a couple of other manufacturers.

Was thinking about the original question a little over the weekend, sad life that I leed !

'CD Player
    Turntable
    Amp
    Speakers
    All interconnects
    Rack and Speaker stands.

Person would prefer all new and more likely a one make solution.'

I could not think of any other manufacturer that would make all these components ???

Levi_501, Mar 12, 2007
Ask a Question