£600 stereo power amps.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Viper, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Viper

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

If 5 channels would do, the Linn AV5125 gives a compact, quiet and cool-running solution, excellent sound, good value iin relation to other Linn products IMHO.

SteveC, Jan 22, 2004
  2. Viper

Matt F

The Linn is a good shout. Obviously a 2nd Bryston or Belcanto 5 channel power amp would be good too.

Others to consider - Rotel RMB1095 (hugely powerfull 5x200 watts), Parasound HCA2205 (even more powerfull - 5x220). Both should be available ex-dem for £1800 or less.

There's also a Tag 5x100 power amp on ebay at the moment - it had some criticism at the £2.5K or so it was selling for new but the one on ebay was well under £1K when I was it yesterday.

There are various others - Primare, Copland, Myryad, Roksan etc that might be worth checking out.

I'd tend to go for a multi channel power amp rather than 3 stereo ones just for the neatness really - but that's just me.

Matt.

Matt F, Jan 22, 2004
  3. Viper

Viper

Good morning everyone.

Some very good suggestions, thanks for your help on this one.
    I have heard a Bryston 9B ST, which i thought was very good.
    I shall look up the Bel Canto design.
    Lots of homework to do for me over the weekend:)
    Appreciate your time.

Viper

Viper, Jan 22, 2004
  4. Viper

lowrider Live music is surround

I also did stick with 5.1, 6.1 is an overkill, unnecessary in a normal living room, IMHO... :rolleyes:

It also depends on wich speakers you have, some are hard to drive, some easy, I have all Bryston, 250 watts for the front pair, 120 watts for center and surrounds... :MILD:

lowrider, Jan 22, 2004
  5. Viper

John

A second hand Meridian 558 5 channel is a beast of an amp - if you can find one. I bought one a week or so back from hififorsale.com for 1800 quid, spot on the budget.

Prior to that I was running Tag 125M monoblocs for my front speakers and then Tag 100P's for the center (bi-amp) and rears. Worked a treat and would easily kick the Tag 5channel into touch. - second hand/ex-dem you should easily do something like that for under 1800 quid.

John, Jan 22, 2004
Ask a Question