2nd hand amplifiers - which one?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Tom, May 25, 2004.

1. Tom

MartinC Trainee tea boy

The one obvoius weak point construction wise in the phono sockets on the rear. There the bits of plastic holding the metal contacts in place are easily damaged by slightly rough treatment.

An 8000A is a good, clean, clear sounding amp, although it's not the strongest for bass and in the wrong setup can sound bright. As others have said though, you can buy one second hand, try it out for a while, and sell it on should it not be for you. (Well, you can assuming you don't get sold a duff one - always worth bearing that in mind).

Martin

MartinC, May 25, 2004
  2. Tom

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Ahem :shame:

That's what Henryt had to have fixed before he sold it :) The CD one then came out when I was using it, but just pushing it back in solved the problem.

The volume/source selector (and all the other!) controls are bomb proof.

domfjbrown, May 26, 2004
  3. Tom

Tom

Tom, May 26, 2004
  4. Tom

The Devil IHTFP

The Audiolab 8000A is the worst 'hi-fi' amplifier I have ever owned. It is bland & boring, and I wouldn't use one if you gave it to me, nor if you paid me.

The best one on your list is the Pioneer A400. I have one but it's definitely not for sale.

The Marantz CD 63 is a superb player, btw, technobear.

The Devil, May 26, 2004
  5. Tom

tones compulsive cantater

Seconded (at least the II KI version is).

tones, May 26, 2004
  6. Tom

greg Its a G thing

I can appreciate that opinion. To some extent the results depend on which speakers you partnered it with, however as I mentioned above its not a party amp and what I mean by that is it is pretty clinical sounding and more so with certain sources and speakers. I personally liked it because of its lucidity - when mixed with a lickle indica I found this aspect to be extremely fun. On the other side of the coin it isnt one for punchy bass. It worked very well with my Kef Model 104AB but not so well with my later Kef Q90.

greg, May 26, 2004
  7. Tom

Tom

I do like my sound detailed and fairly bass-light, so the audiolab sounds like an amp i might enjoy. Thanks again for everyone's advice and comment, i appreciate it :D

Tom, May 26, 2004
  8. Tom

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Tom,

I used to own a QED 240 amp in the 80s. It was a very good budget amp at the time. That version on sale is a newer version of the one I had. It looks like a good buy.

Also look out for NAD 3020 amps. These were the budget benchmark & built like tanks. Can be picked up for little money. Can drive a wide range of speakers & give good sound for the money. They did get altered through the years (3020i, 3020e, 3020B, etc) but good for a punt.

Also look out for Creek amps which can be picked up for less than £100. The pioneer amps are very good A400 & A300 may suit.

SCIDB

SCIDB, May 26, 2004
  9. Tom

Simon Marshall

Rob

Sorry, never heard any of the QED amps, but what the seller says in the description looks about right. The Comics of the late 80's used to rate them on a par, or maybe a little above the Arcam Alpha Plus, Cyrus 1s, NAD 3130s, Rotel RA 820BX's of the time.

The A240 CD used to retail for around £180.00 and the A 240 SA for about £220.00 if memory serves, so they were actually competing in the price braket above that of the amps mentioned above. I guess as a CD listener the SA Board is only of academic interest, unless you're planning on getting into vinyl at some point.

Pity about the Volume control. Possibly just a bent spindle where somebody has dropped/bumped the amp at some point. Provided it survived the impact the alps pot fitted is a "quality item" and will probably still be quite serviceable on age grounds. Something to check with the seller, I guess, if you're still interested.

Hi to all from a long time lurker/first time poster.

Simon Marshall, May 26, 2004
  10. Tom

Markus S Trade

Speaking of QED amps: I have one for sale, a 240 with analog stage; yours for a mere 50 pounds.

A cracking little amp, has seen off some very expensive designs.

Markus S, May 26, 2004
  11. Tom

greg Its a G thing

IMO very enjoyable, balanced, sound though only 20wpc I think. Had a 3020e for a while and enjoyed it a lot.

greg, May 26, 2004
  12. Tom

daytona

the cyrus 1 and two amps are great used buys and still servicable by the factory. later series 8 units in black with toggle power switch but no headphone socket were made in taiwan and this is the one to buy if you are prepared to hunt one down. likewise nobody was ever disappointed with a naim nait1 or 2 or a linn intek.as has already been said the audiolab was a major seller but musically slightly sterile.

happy hunting,

alan
    pj hifi
    guildford

daytona, May 26, 2004
  13. Tom

sane4sure

Tom,

You have PM about my mate's 8000A.

Stu.

sane4sure, May 26, 2004
  14. Tom

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Greg,

The Nad was rated at 20 Watts per channel but when measured it produce a lot higher power. It was capable of driving some tough loads. It could produce peaks of excess of 40 watts. Used with average sensitvity speakers & it should go plenty loud. My brother still uses his after around 21 years.

SCIDB

SCIDB, May 26, 2004
  15. Tom

Lt Cdr Data om

well we have come a way from the start, tell you what, if you are considering these cheapo amps. try this

hunt down either

a good nad, earlier the better.
    pioneer a400, avoid the a300 as its the same amp but less power
    or one of the creeks.

they are all great amps, and tbh, the pioneer a400 really does make all the britsh expensive amps just about futile yes they may be a little better, but not £1000+, not even £100 IMO.

If you don't like it, there has been little lost, cos they always sell again easy, then move on until you find one you like.

Lt Cdr Data, May 26, 2004
  16. Tom

Gromit Buffet-blower

As LCD says, the older Creek amps are little gems - especially the 4140 without the tone controls and heftier power supply. I owned one about 20 years ago and it just sang its little heart out when fed by my LP12. :)

Gutsy, very very musical and extremely cheap on eBay.

Gromit, May 26, 2004
  17. Tom

adam

I have a little Creek 4240 you describe,it's a brilliant little amp,extremtly smooth,musical and non fatiging.sold on it E-bay for £22 odd,but I have the funny feeling its going to be a non payer.Why do non payers always go on holiday,the day they win the auction,and go without paying,this has happened twice now,both women.puff!!

adam, May 26, 2004
  18. Tom

Tom

Let me know if you relist it please!

Tom, May 26, 2004
  19. Tom

sideshowbob Trisha

I had a NAD 3020 for years, terrific thing.

If you can find one, an Onix OA22 can be had for anything from £100-£150. I have one of these doing duty in the kitchen and it's a great little powerhouse.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, May 26, 2004
  20. Tom

adam

adam, May 26, 2004
Ask a Question