300b recommendation.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Baudrillard, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Baudrillard

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

yeah sure mate.

I've got no call to go there anytime soon though, as Im spent out.

bottleneck, Mar 29, 2005
  2. Baudrillard

Baudrillard

Have you got your valencias sitting on stands/slabs etc?

Baudrillard, Mar 29, 2005
  3. Baudrillard

:shame: ermm books :shame:

they are angled up by use of audiophile books.

soon to be replaced with fake oak-cone-feet.
    walnut-cone-feet infact.

bottleneck, Mar 29, 2005
  4. Baudrillard

Baudrillard

Yep, used to have my 4312's similar, actually straight onto big concrete bricks. Never got round to buying those short target stands.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2006
  5. Baudrillard

Interesting article.

It says the VOTT also does not display a flat response (which I didnt know) and that the horn has some treble roll-off (which I thought might be the case).

The question is of course, do you like a flat frequency response?

For me the answer is 'hell no!' the studio monitor sound isn't for me. Have you tried some ATC's or similar? Some people can't get on with anything other than strictly accurate speakers. Others dont like the sound they make... You might find of course if you used a particular ancillary to level the response you might like the 4312's less!! (or more? who knows). As you say though, only way to find out is by playing with them...

Are you looking for some more 4312's then?

bottleneck, Mar 29, 2005
  6. Baudrillard

Baudrillard

I'm not sure really! They were an amazing amount of speaker for the money (£1000) when they were briefly reissued in the UK in '97. Just try and find drivers like those on speakers available today in or anywhere near that price bracket. I challenge you! Bass was in a different class, especially live bass. They were an excellent..repeat excellent...3-way design for an unbelievably bargain price. I’ll never forget how they made electro sound as well as house, seventies jazz funk and on and on..

I was ‘reasonably’ happy with my current PMC GB1’s….until… I popped into Walrus just to buy a spirit level for my deck (as you do!). Happened to have a brief listen to those big K2’s and…well….it all came flooding back...my old 4312’s. In short, I realised that I had settled for mediocrity and that speakers really are the most crucial component in the chain.

Incidentally, you can view Paul Messenger's review from the link below, clicking on ‘loudspeakers’ and scrolling down to JBL 4312 mkII WX . I remember Jason Kennedy was blown away describing them as ‘the audiophile bargain of the year’. He partnered them successfully to some very pricey Boulder amps, as well as those low powered plastic DNM monoblocks (about 25 watts or so) which worked even better.

http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/archive/

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2006
  7. Baudrillard

Paul V

Baudrillard

Do try to get to hear a Border Patrol if you can. You can pick them up secondhand if you like the sound. Mine is a 300B push-pull version [18 watts, I think]. It sounded cleaner to me than the 9w SE version. Physically it feels like it will last for EVER. I never say never, but the way it sounds at the moment I can't see myself getting anything else.

You might also find that 300B valves from different manufacturers have as much influence on the sound as the amp itself.

Paul

Paul V, Mar 31, 2005
  8. Baudrillard

badchamp Thermionic Member

Hmm, exactly the quandry I'm in at the moment. I've got Svetlanas in my Audions at present and two have gone down. I quite like the sound of the Svets and from Conus Audio (in Canada) they're reasonably priced but quite frankly they're just not reliable enough . Am toying with the idea of the Full Music version but it's still a fair investment in an unknown. Especially as I need 4 of the blighters!

badchamp, Mar 31, 2005
  9. Baudrillard

Paul V

Badchamp

I'm running Golden Dragon 300B mesh plates [they're called 300BMs]. They sound very good to our ears, different but no worse than General Electrics.

I always admired Audions from afar, hope yours are lovely.

Paul

Paul V, Mar 31, 2005
  10. Baudrillard

bottleneck, Mar 31, 2005
  11. Baudrillard

Baudrillard

:cool:

Baudrillard, Mar 31, 2005
  12. Baudrillard

Baudrillard,

check out the amps on the 'imports from the east' thread.

There are some truly incredible bargains. If I was starting afresh - I'd probably take a slight gamble.

bottleneck, Mar 31, 2005
  13. Baudrillard

Crucial word..."different" :D

Mine are in gold finish with cherry wood side panels. They look gorgeous and sound luvly. If you're ever in NW London welcome to pop in and have a listen.

badchamp, Mar 31, 2005
  14. Baudrillard

Ah but Chris you're lucky - you only need two ! True about the price though I suppose, I'm just wary of taking that giant leap into the unknown. One day maybe we'll be able to have a ZG 300b comparison "bake-off"

badchamp, Mar 31, 2005
Ask a Question