A sad farewell

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Ultrasonic, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Ultrasonic

T-bone Sanchez

:eek:

T-bone Sanchez, Jul 1, 2005
  2. Ultrasonic

wolfgang

In more recent history like what happened just in the past 2 years I would be most worried if suddenly lots of Americans appear yet again.

wolfgang, Jul 1, 2005
  3. Ultrasonic

michaelab desafinado

All you guys saying "go on, it'll be fun and you'll make some mates" seem to be forgetting that military service is...ermmm...military. Should the circumstances arise, your purpose there is to kill other humans or be killed yourself in the defence of your country or whatever your country's government sees fit. Joining the military, even for just 2 years, is not something to be taken lightly or regarded as "a bit of fun" :rolleyes: . As the old joke goes: "Join the army, travel the world, meet lots of new people, then kill them".

As a pacifist, I find the idea of joining the military as "a bit of fun", frankly, abhorrent :(

Michael.

michaelab, Jul 1, 2005
  4. Ultrasonic

Ultrasonic Bo selecta!!

Update guys, had a lengthy overseas chat with a military inspector and my dad this morning, i am now in a slightly better position...i have til my 21st birthday to decide. Also, for my case i am more than likely going to be able to visit Singapore again even if i renounce my citizenship as i can prove that ive lived in the UK for 17years out of 21! If they decide not to let me go back then i will do the national service for 2 years :)

I thought about it all night(while out clubbing lol got to make the most of my remaining 2 weeks!) and it isnt all that bad even if i do go back, im sure i will learn alot and i dont have that much to lose.so right now i just need to wait for the decision from the Singapore gov.

Ultra :)

Ultrasonic, Jul 1, 2005
  5. Ultrasonic

Snoopdog

A similar situation happened to an Italian-born friend of mine who has lived in UK since he was a child and is a serving UK police officer.

A couple of years ago, he visited family back in the old country and got himself arrested by the Italian police for failing to discharge his obligation to do national military service, which he was quite ignorant about!

After intervention from the FCO, he was released and his national service in Italy cancelled. He can return at any time without fear of prosecution.

The Italian's are probably more laid back than the Singapore Government in this respect but it does illustrate that it can happen in cases of dual-citizenship, but equally, common sense can prevail.

Snoopdog, Jul 1, 2005
  6. Ultrasonic

mr cat Member of the month

yeah, especially as they wrote the original letter assuming that you still lived over there...surely they'll be flexible and won't insist on it...

mr cat, Jul 1, 2005
  7. Ultrasonic

tones compulsive cantater

Haven't read this all, but the worst case I know is a friend who was born in Argentina to British parents. He left as a child. In his university years, he received his call-up papers for the Argentinian Army (this was long before the Falklands war). He wrote back, saying that he couldn't leave his studies, but that he'd happily return to do his military service as soon as he'd finished his studies. The next letter was a rather curt one that said that, if he didn't report for duty by such-and-such a date, he'd be guilty of desertion and the appropriate penalties under military law would apply - one of which was death by firing squad. He was most upset, because he could never again go to Argentina to visit his many friends.

tones, Jul 1, 2005
  8. Ultrasonic

The Devil IHTFP

What happened to the sense of duty? A bunch of draft-dodging bleeding-heart liberals, here.

On the girlfriend issue, 20 is far too young to be tied to one woman, IMO. There's plenty about.

The Devil, Jul 1, 2005
  9. Ultrasonic

mr cat Member of the month

you can take his place then...! :D

mr cat, Jul 1, 2005
  10. Ultrasonic

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

I had the same bull$hit with the Iranian authorities about my national service. I know Israeli and Cypriot Brits have the same problem too. Major pain in the backside.

Thankfully, the Iranian government have come to their senses and waivers can be applied for. Just as well, as I wouldn't have set foot in the country for another 20 years without one.

DT

I'm actually very surprised to hear that Singapore has it's own army - being merely a city-state. How can they afford one?? What's the point when the regional powers have US$50bn defence expenditure PA each and could nuke your ass with a single warhead!?!?

Dynamic Turtle, Jul 1, 2005
  11. Ultrasonic

The Devil IHTFP

I am happily spoken-for, and 22 years older.

[P.S. a kind offer, though, thanks]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2005
    The Devil, Jul 1, 2005
  12. Ultrasonic

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

DT - it's a delicate balance. Yes, the not hugely friendly neighbours have much bigger armies and resources and also control singapore's water supply. However, anyone moves against singapore and the US pacific fleet sails in.

I-S, Jul 1, 2005
  13. Ultrasonic

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Damn! That's got to be a shock. No point telling you to think hard about it, as I'm sure you are already.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

MO!, Jul 1, 2005
  14. Ultrasonic

michaelab desafinado

I know you're just looking for a wind up James ;) but I'll give you a proper answer:

I would have no objection to a form of national service that had a non-military alternative such as spending the time doing community service type work. It is after all called national service not military service. A number of countries have systems like this.

Michael.

michaelab, Jul 1, 2005
  15. Ultrasonic

T-bone Sanchez

Undercrackers on your head, pencils up your nose and repeat the word 'wobble' to every question.

T-bone Sanchez, Jul 1, 2005
  16. Ultrasonic

The Devil IHTFP

Coo! That's a big assumption. ;-)

I still think he should go for it, but no sense of adventure in the youth these days.

The Devil, Jul 1, 2005
  17. Ultrasonic

Snoopdog

As I hurtle towards 50, I wouldn't mind being tied to a 20 year old woman ;)

I don't think anyone's mentioned it so far, but is there an option to 'buy yourself out' of national service like the rich Americans did for their kid's during the Vietnam war?

Snoopdog, Jul 1, 2005
  18. Ultrasonic

MartinC Trainee tea boy

I think you'll find it's wibble ;) .

Blimey this is a scary thread Ultrasonic. I hope you manage to sort things out without having to turn your life upside down.

MartinC, Jul 1, 2005
  19. Ultrasonic

Bob McC living the life of Riley

Take no notice of Martin and T Bone. The pencil and wibble strategy doesn't work. Ask Captain Blackadder.

bob

Bob McC, Jul 1, 2005
  20. Ultrasonic

MartinC Trainee tea boy

Good point! Maybe "wobble" would work better actually :D .

MartinC, Jul 2, 2005
Ask a Question