active vibration management

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by anon_bb, Sep 16, 2005.

1. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

The brinkmann has lower inertia then the sme v on the sme 30 - which manifests itself in a cleaner, tighter and more dynamic bass. When I refer to weight I refer to the dynamics not the emphasis - I should have clarified that. I have recordings that are from the same master on both vinyl and cd and my vinyl rig does not emphasise the bass though the deck was better controlled, dynamic and detailed bass than the cdp.

anon_bb, Sep 19, 2005
  2. anon_bb

The Devil IHTFP

I think the main advantage of vinyl versus CD is in the treble, but I use a unipivot.

The Devil, Sep 19, 2005
  3. anon_bb

Stereo Mic

I'd tend to agree with you Devil. Amazingly to me, some people do not hear this when comparing the formats. How do you find queuing the Aro after a few sherbets?

Stereo Mic, Sep 20, 2005
  4. anon_bb

Alex S User

A good TT always seems to give you the treble properly - full of energy yet not ear burning. CD players seem either to suffer from digititis or smooth the treble artificially.

Alex S, Sep 20, 2005
  5. anon_bb

johnhunt recidivist

Bz

we've heard a lot about the kit. what music lights your candle?

johnhunt, Sep 20, 2005
  6. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

A bit of everything, from modern classical like nyman to frank zappa to punk to alt.country and world music. I go to live gigs a lot. My favourite live band is "Shellac of North America".

Alex - I agree. Though my pt dac is quite good it still cant match vinyl in the treble.

anon_bb, Sep 20, 2005
  7. anon_bb

The Devil IHTFP

You have to concentrate. Often I cop out with CD/Tuna.

The Devil, Sep 20, 2005
  8. anon_bb

Stereo Mic

Thanks for that. I've now got a wonderful picture in my mind.

Stereo Mic, Sep 20, 2005
  9. anon_bb

The Devil IHTFP

Did you know that the Orbe's platter weighs about 2 lbs less than the LP12's? Scandalous, if you ask me.

The Devil, Sep 20, 2005
  10. anon_bb

Stereo Mic

Suspension tuning is everything with the Orbe, as with the LP12. What I never understand is people wittling on about how they then go out of tune?

Do you have to have your car's suspension tweaked on a monthly basis? It's not even as if the springs on an Orbe take any abuse unless you have five year olds running around the house.

Stereo Mic, Sep 20, 2005
  11. anon_bb

The Devil IHTFP

I think the "LP12 needs a service every five minutes, sir" came from dealers with nothing to do. There's certainly no other obvious reason to keep messing about with the suspension.

The Devil, Sep 20, 2005
  12. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

Yes but the orbe suspension can be properly tuned (unlike some other decks that cannot be properly tuned even in theory) and its well engineered to stay in tune. Its still wobbling though and that to my mind is a bad idea in a measurement system that is trying to measure a few hundred molecules at a time.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2005
    anon_bb, Sep 22, 2005
  13. anon_bb

The Devil IHTFP

I thought I was safe, on 'ignore'. Shame.

The Linn suspension is also well engineered to stay in tune. If you want to write off suspended turntables as a mistake, that's OK. Things you say make no difference at all to anything at all.

The Devil, Sep 22, 2005
  14. anon_bb

The Devil IHTFP

I'm quoting now, to prevent any further 'late edits'.

I assume you are Linn-bashing yet again? Get a life.

The Devil, Sep 22, 2005
  15. anon_bb

Ian Wright

Hi WM,

"That be the fellow, Pretty sure he ran an adaptive set on his car, I seem to remember a 'hoo har' over its use at prescott a fair few seasons back.
    He used to work at Benetton I think?"

He did work at Benetton, then Ferrari and then BAR. But he didn't run any form of active or adaptive suspension. He put LVDTs on the the suspension and a range of other sensors on the car that most likely no-one else had done in hill climbing. Logged all that data in a data logger so that he could develop the car further.

"The active suspension, when working correctly could produce some quite remarkable results, though driving the vehicle took some 're-adjusting'
    You had to complete learn to drive it all over again."

It all depends on how you try to optimise the active ride suspension. Most likely you could set it up to mimic the standard suspension but the gains were to be found in a more optimal aero platform and more optimal contact patch control. I worked on the development Honda active ride system at McLaren in 90, 91 and 92. I also worked on the McLaren ride height control system used in 93 until it was banned for 94.

"Never had telemetric data aquistion in those days. though they only let you use it practice now I think?"

Do you mean telemetry as in wireless transfer of data from the car to the garage? I ask because 99% of people seem to get this wrong! Although being in motor racing that should be a daft question!

We are able to use telemetry from the car to the garage all the time. But not from the garage to the car at any time.

Ian

Ian Wright, Sep 22, 2005
Ask a Question