after new car...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by mr cat, Feb 13, 2006.

1. mr cat

shrink

i agree about avoiding early vectras though.. all sorts of problems... your better off with a late cavalier than an early vectra.

what about a Mk4 astra? you can get them starting about £1200 and thats the newer shape.. with lots of goodies like air con and a nice modern interior.

plus they drive pretty nice too.

the 1.6 16v is a real goer at 105bhp and the 1.816v is also pretty nippy.

shrink, Feb 14, 2006
  2. mr cat

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Absolutely. But then again, "character" in a car usually means that it will dump coolant all over the place when you least expect/need, etc. It's a question of whether you want something that will get you from a to b without going via the dealer, day in, day out for years. They're also extremely cheap second hand relative to models from toyota, nissan, etc.

Can't argue with the almera suggestion at all.

I-S, Feb 15, 2006
  3. mr cat

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Seat Torledo or Cordoba.

I have a toledo and touch wood for 1200 quid R reg its been fine.

garyi, Feb 15, 2006
  4. mr cat

mr cat Member of the month

hi, quick update here, been to see a primera (I though the guy said an Almera on the phone) and it looks like this one here -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1998-NISSAN-P...613532811QQcategoryZ18238QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

again, it's the same year and engine size (tho, it also has 16v), got 67k on the clock, runs beautifully - tho, I didn't really get a chance to test it at speed...the dealer wants 1100...

but...it's a boring green colour and it doesn't have that wow factor...sigh...I said I'd give him a ring this after, but I really can't decide...argh!

mr cat, Feb 15, 2006
  5. mr cat

la toilette Downright stupid

I hated my Primera (97 TD) with a passion - nasty plastic feel on the inside (hideous seats) and so dull to look at on the outside that for the first month of ownership I'd struggle to find it in a car park as I'd forgotten what it looked like. Buy something you like rather than something dull but sensible, you're more likely to look after it and if you drive 500 miles a week you want to enjoy it as much as you can. I bought an M reg BMW after my Nissan, for £1500, a billion times better than the Nissan in every respect bar fuel economy....even the insurance was cheaper (?!)

la toilette, Feb 15, 2006
  6. mr cat

How about this? Looks a tad more interesting than the primera, drives nicely, and best of all I've got one :p

I-S, Feb 15, 2006
  7. mr cat

very nice - tho the distance (london tel no.?) and milage puts me off - but I have seen this one -
    http://www.popularcarsales.co.uk/_popular.htm

description -
    FIAT Marea 115 16v ELX , 4 Doors, Manual 5 speed, Saloon, Petrol, 2000 W Reg , Red, MOT-07-2006, 2 Owners. GOOD SERVICE HISTORY, JULY 2006 TAX, Power-Assisted Steering, TIDY CAR, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Air conditioning, CD, Central locking, Colour coding - Body, Driver airbag, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Head restraints, Multi function steering wheel, Rear armrest. W214 LHW. ALL CREDIT CARDS ACCEPTED, FINANCE AVAILABLE... THIS VEHICLE IS AT OUR STOCKTON SITE. (WE ARE BASED IN THE NORTH EAST OF ENGLAND. 40 MILES SOUTH OF NEWCASTLE, 30 MILES NORTH OF YORK).... SEE MORE CARS AT WWW.POPULARCARSALES.CO.UK ONO £1,190

I spoke to the guy and he said I could have it for 1k....they also do part exchange, so they may even take my banger away!
    it's a 1.8l engine too...looks nice and got 86k miles

mr cat, Feb 15, 2006
  8. mr cat

I wouldn't worry too much about the mileage... mine has 102000 on it and it's still good. There are lower mileage examples in your price range (even some V6s!).

I-S, Feb 15, 2006
  9. mr cat

Joolsburger

I'd go for some kind of Saab, for 500 miles a week they are super comfortable and have the toys. Cheap to run, cheap to buy and go on for ever if they have been properly serviced.

Joolsburger, Feb 15, 2006
  10. mr cat

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

To be fair they were both high milleage examples but they spend £1000 on them. If you're paying that much for a car it ought to have at least 5 years life in it, even if you don't keep it that long.

For £250 a car should last a good year if it has been bought properly.

My problem is I have been bought up with Lada's so it is normal for a car to break down. The lada cost us £800 in 1991 and gave us 6 years motoring.

Edit I have always liked Swedish cars for some reason.

amazingtrade, Feb 15, 2006
  11. mr cat

i just stopped off and looked at the car...it does look nice in the dark! I'll have a drive past it tomorrow and hopefully i can decide better...

mr cat, Feb 15, 2006
  12. mr cat

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

You need to check properly in the day light, check for panal gaps and differences in the paint finish which could indicate a crash.

amazingtrade, Feb 15, 2006
  13. mr cat

yeah, i checked it over this morning - it appears to be in very good condition...

mr cat, Feb 15, 2006
  14. mr cat

mr cat, Feb 16, 2006
  15. mr cat

You could get a real mitsubishi rather than an older model made elsewhere though.

I-S, Feb 16, 2006
  16. mr cat

I've just rang them up and its now sold anyway...

mr cat, Feb 16, 2006
  17. mr cat

mr cat, Feb 16, 2006
  18. mr cat

ok folks - update here...

I've got a car, it's not the rover, but the nissan...

I feel guilty as hell as I did win the rover on ebay - but that didn't come taxed and whilst driving to see it the exhaust fell off my fiat :( so, whilst I could drive it I felt as tho I was'nt able to drive it until I got the tax sorted out (after talking to a colleague about this at work he said that this would be monday/tuesday) and I'm on call this weekend and I have to go into work over the weekend - I have to drive in excess of 150 miles!
    however, when I saw the nissan seller he also said that the nissan wasn't taxed either :eek: but he was able to get it taxed first thing in the morning on his insurance (I wasn't aware that this could happen tho!) so, whilst I'm unable to goto my uncles surprise 70th birthday tonight (daren't risk driving either car) - at least I'll be mobile tomorrow morning...sigh...

have I done the right thing...I feel guilty about letting the rover seller down as it looked a decent car

but the nissan I've got essencely looks like this one (same colour) -
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1998-NISSAN-P...613534105QQcategoryZ18238QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

except mines the 1.6 16v gx with 67k miles and only one owner

mr cat, Feb 17, 2006
  19. mr cat

la toilette Downright stupid

You'll know the answer to that in a couple of weeks time when you find yourself making up excuses to stay in bed and not to go to work in a subconscious effort to avoiding getting in that Primera....either that or you'll forget what it looks like and lose it in the car park like I did....

Ha ha, only joking (or am I?).

;)

As far as the owner of the Rover goes - they'll be able to claim back ebay costs and give you a non-paying bidder strike; not ideal but better than you buying a car you're not sure you wanted and hadn't seen in the flesh. I'm sure you'll both get over it!

la toilette, Feb 17, 2006
  20. mr cat

ha ha...well, it's still a big step up from my 10 year old fiat uno...that was the worst car I've ever had - not that I've owned many, but have driven around 6 different kinds...

m i sad for keep popping to the window to look at it even tho it's dark..? :D

mr cat, Feb 17, 2006
Ask a Question