....and throw away the key

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by johnhunt, Aug 17, 2005.

1. johnhunt

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

On several of these, the answer is of course - Yes, certainly. I have not got enough in most cases to either accept or falisify the hypthesis presented with any certainty.

In one case "instrumental" observation presented a small but repeateble difference, which may very well be audible and hence supports a potentially audible difference.

Meanwhile I notice that others, having found themselves without any reasonable argument to allow themselves to chalk up a "victory" (phyrric as it may be) took refuge to ridicule instead, how quaint.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Nov 11, 2005
  2. johnhunt

notaclue

3DSonics, are there any hi-fi tweaky things that you have tried that you found made no difference?

notaclue, Nov 11, 2005
  3. johnhunt

Hi,

Well you did not read the instructions on how to use them, did you. So a friendly RTFM to you.... :D

Ciao T

3DSonics, Nov 11, 2005
  4. johnhunt

Hi,

Yes, plenty.

Example, when comparing different material "cones" I found no difference I could reliably get a handle on. Quite a few of the really far out tweaks made no difference I could percieve.

Ciao T

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2005
    3DSonics, Nov 11, 2005
  5. johnhunt

mosfet

From the Harmonix website:

Attach Harmonix room tuning devices to major surfaces of a sound room and the change is immediate. Instantly, the room offers a wider dynamic range with deeper silences between musical notes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    RFA78 room tuning devices

From the inventor Mr. Kiuchi:

Conventional tuning devices are designed either to absorb the reflected sound or totally damp vibrations of walls and ceilings. But, these devices take away the delicate musical nuances of the sound. Contrary to conventional room tuning devices, RFA78 lets the sound reflect freely, without distorting or masking the original information that the sound is carrying.

"These are mechanical devices, so it is difficult for me to unveil this technology to the public. Here is some basic technical background: I have been engaged in the Musical Instrument business for 30 years. During this period, we studied many famous musical instruments like Stradivarius, Guaneri and Amati to discover why they sound so good.

Finally, we came across one rule - that of controlling negative and positive relationship. It is a balance. We, as human beings, have decided that the negative part is no good. We concentrate exclusively on bringing the positive part into existence. But, the negative and positive relationship has to be equally balanced. This is balancing technology."

Balancing technology? Not much to go on unfortunately (and the explanation given appears contrary to my attempted reasoning). I'll ask Desart if I get the chance. :cool:

Other than this I'm still sceptical (in the truest meaning of the word).

Now those Marigo vts dots. I do despair!

These helped to clean up the high end, allowing greater image specificity and an airier top end.

[​IMG]

mosfet, Nov 11, 2005
  6. johnhunt

Tenson Moderator

LMAO

I think I know what Eric will say, don't waste his time!

Tenson, Nov 11, 2005
  7. johnhunt

mosfet

Possibly Tenson. He is a bit touchy at times, however if you catch him on a good day..

You should know the subject of acoustics is fantastically complex; you think you have a good grasp on the fundamentals (no pun intended) and then realise in actual fact what you do know is barely scratching at the surface. This of course is not reasoning in itself for felt dots to possess real-world mechanisms, and should never be, however some acoustic devices, like pegboard resonators for instance, look equally as absurd on first appraisal.

I doubt these room tuning felt dots have real-world mechanisms however if I can conceive of a good explanation myself (other than the human psyche) or read one elsewhere then I'm not going to be dismissive. Until such time I remain, as I said, sceptical (read questioning).

mosfet, Nov 11, 2005
  8. johnhunt

tones compulsive cantater

Sorry, but this is a plain misreading of the Scripture. What happened was that, when Paul gathered the sticky dots, the viper fastened on to them, injecting them with Holy Snake Oil and causing them to have divine properties far above that which one would expect of such dotty things.

tones, Nov 11, 2005
  9. johnhunt

Hi,

I know you sneer at empiricism, but you may wish to actually try these items, empirically and nsee what you find. Please be openminded though.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Nov 11, 2005
  10. johnhunt

Tenson Moderator

Thorsten,

I can completely understand that you hear a difference with the items, but what do you think the difference would be compared to having a decent pair of bass traps or first reflection absorbers in the room?

Tenson, Nov 11, 2005
  11. johnhunt

Hi,

Academic. Completely, as neither item would come into my living room. :D

BTW, I do deal with a lot of room acoustic issues using highly directional speakers.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Nov 11, 2005
  12. johnhunt

Tenson Moderator

Well you have the felt dots don't you?!

I know, I was quite impressed with your speakers ;)

Tenson, Nov 11, 2005
  13. johnhunt

shanesndsurgry releasing the music

New member here

Sorry guys I've gota say unless you've tried em yourselves why pass judgement?

There simply are a lot of things out there we don't understand yet but we trust they exist/work. This does apply to my experiences with HiFi tweaks always is gona be bullsh*t out the but I've come across some genuine wacky items that do seem to make a difference!

I've never tried the dots but have messed around with some of the weird but effective tweaks from Harmonix.

shanesndsurgry, Nov 13, 2005
  14. johnhunt

shanesndsurgry releasing the music

oh I think I should add that I own an Marigo labs stealth cd mat from the same team that designed the Dots and I'm pleased with the subtle benefits it brings to every disk I play.

I also believe that the shun mook disks do have a very subtle effect especialy when used on cabl;e posts and on top of speakers.

Expensive and wacky yes but you don't know unless you try!

I guess these purchases put me firmly in the lunatic camp with money to waste camp!

shanesndsurgry, Nov 13, 2005
  15. johnhunt

From my point of view, Shane, there are simply some ideas so wacky that they can be immediately dismissed, and dots on the walls happen to be one of them. Should anyone ever demonstrate a difference, I shall eat my words without hesitation, but as I don't hear differences between cables, ICs and power cords, I suspect that my words shall remain undigested. (I did hear differences once, but then I found that I was hearing what I wanted to hear). But, as good ol' Wadia-Miester says, whatever floats your boat. If you like what you hear, it's for you, and, of course, you have the right to waste your money in whatsoever way you choose!

tones, Nov 13, 2005
  16. johnhunt

Stereo Mic

Tones,

it should be pointed out that you don't hear differences between CD players and record decks - just for the sake of completeness.

Stereo Mic, Nov 13, 2005
  17. johnhunt

Aha, isn't notoriety wonderful? Well certainly not the ones in my experience (which include some very high level ones indeed). I accept that some could sound different, but I personally haven't heard them and I don't go out of my way to find them, as there are more important things to do - such as playing things on them and enjoying them.

tones, Nov 13, 2005
Ask a Question