Another cable spin-off: termination

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by la toilette, Nov 1, 2005.

1. la toilette

rsand I can't feel my toes

3d people expect you to do your bit for free :rolleyes: other people in business (like myself) know that can't be the case. Even charities have to pay wages!

I'm hosting a bake off on the 6th Dec with a planned blind cable test do you want to submit some into the frey? It will be totally fair and of course they will be returned :)

rsand, Nov 10, 2005
  2. la toilette

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

I notice. Somehow they all want me to pay them when they do something for me!

Maybe, I'll need to see what I have around (all cables are really made to order and I have not had any returns, except for a pair of XLR interconnects I expect back as the angled plugs pointed the wrong way.

As for blind testing, you have noticed my comments earlier.

Might I suggest that you try my old experiment of RG-214/MIL vs. RG-58 with steel core, you might find it easiler to get results that way.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Nov 10, 2005
  3. la toilette

mosfet

No, by definition I would save that much since I would not be parting with an extra 400 quid or thereabouts!

On a Sunday I often spend three or four hours preparing a meal; a semi-skilled job much like constructing a pair of loudspeaker cables. In neither case would I invoice myself for the time spent doing so!

Note. I have not said the retail price for your cables is unrepresentative of market price 3D, rather personally I would not pay anyone 600 quid for anything I could knock up myself for 200!

(that's it and no further comment!)

mosfet, Nov 10, 2005
  4. la toilette

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

Well if mosfet isn't going to comment any more, perhaps he can used the saved time to look up what "opportunity cost" means.

SteveC, Nov 11, 2005
  5. la toilette

zanash

Hi,

I'm planning on being at rsand's do.........

I don't think he means blind in the strictest sense ....just unknown to the listeners.
    Not a DBT ......as practiced in certain well known tests.
    In that I planned to make say four identically looking cables, with very different conductor types. My basic idea was just to see if the the guest hear what I hear with the various types of conductors. Then maybe have a couple of stonking good ones....but as always I'm open to suggestions.

Rsand .....If I've got the wrong idea sorry !

zanash, Nov 11, 2005
  6. la toilette

mosfet

Please explain how my wallet would not be £400 lighter based on the example given above?

I should of course invoice you for the time spent typing this reply since it is a foregone opportunity to do something more productive. ;)

mosfet, Nov 11, 2005
  7. la toilette

lordsummit moderate mod

And we should also invoice you for the bandwidth you're so fruitlessly using;)

lordsummit, Nov 11, 2005
  8. la toilette

mosfet

I'm not replying to this since (a) it is a waste of bandwidth (b) it incurs opportunity costs on my part, and (c) I will have to invoice you to account for (b).

Bugger. :club:

mosfet, Nov 11, 2005
  9. la toilette

zanash

mosfet...... I can definately tell you that cable construction doesn't come under the classification of semi skilled.

I think, you also must appriciate that in all walks of life people charge what the market will stand ie if people feel an item represents [in there mind ] value for money then they may purchase.

I'm not justifing the costs of these cables, I've not heard or seen them. But everyone has the right to freely sell a product, in the same way you have the freedom to politley decline the offer to buy.

It seems to me your never going to purchase these cable for purely philosophical reasons, regardless of there price or performance. So why make such a big fuss ?

zanash, Nov 11, 2005
  10. la toilette

mosfet

You can tell me definitely whatever you like zanash, I'd consider it no more than semi-skilled.

Of course. Have I said something different?

I would not purchase T's cables for the reasoning you give above. Philosophy (?) does not come into it.

If I had posted the information I have here in the DIY section (relating to sourcing and cost of 80 core FEP/silver/copper cable) would it be considered a big fuss? I would have thought you would have been interested in this information zanash as a self-confessed cable experimenter.

mosfet, Nov 11, 2005
Ask a Question