Another new tweak - comments please

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Tim F, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Tim F

analoguekid Planet Rush

The mans bloody deranged, what planet is he on?

analoguekid, Nov 4, 2004
  2. Tim F

notaclue

BlueMax, now I know for sure that you couldn't have made something as lovely as that plug as you are behaving in a very unseemly manner. I imagine that the plug you made is quite poor with bad soldering and melted insulation.

notaclue, Nov 4, 2004
  3. Tim F

MartinC Trainee tea boy

ON TOPIC

Something just occured to me... Shorting plugs should obviously not be used on pre-amp outputs, or you're going to break your amp. What about the cap type idea proposed by Sid and Coke, where you're just continuing the earth screen over the hole of the phono socket? For pre-amps with lots of unused pre-amp outs (I have two spare pairs for instance) these could be I suppose a point of RFI entry, which would be passed along the ICs in place to the power amp(s). Unlike unused phono inputs these are very much in circuit too.

MartinC, Nov 5, 2004
  4. Tim F

avanzato

Getting back on topic to Tims question. I got my little pack of shorties today and rather than pull apart my main system tried them out on an old 80's Yamaha integrated I had lying around. To be quick, they worked, the inputs with the shorties connected were much quieter than those without shorties. A bit harder to say if the overall noise on all inputs was lower but I think it was.

The shorties I bought were from the seller "samtheman38" not the guy linked to earlier but they look very similar and are a straight signal to ground short, no resistors. Can't obviously say if they would be more or less use on a better amp but definitelty in the 'one to try' list.

avanzato, Nov 5, 2004
  5. Tim F

BlueMax

Well done avanzato. "Proof of they pudding is in the eating" as they say!

When I posted info on shorties here and at HFC Forum, some months ago, few people started flamming, despite me giving the best scientic explanation I could muster and stating my own person experience. "One can only take the donkey to the water ... etc."

To test the reduction in noise try out the experiment I suggested earlier.
    Have fun :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2004
    BlueMax, Nov 5, 2004
  6. Tim F

MartinC Trainee tea boy

Cheers for sharing avanzato - interesting. Let us know how you get on if you try them on your main system won't you? I'm assuming you will now you've heard an effect ;).

MartinC, Nov 6, 2004
Ask a Question