Anyone fancy meeting up

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Dev, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Dev

sideshowbob Trisha

Of course we did :)

I played a fair bit of stuff, Mal Waldron, Andrew Hill, Eno, TV Personalities, Neu!, Martyn Bates, Julian Cope, Groundhogs, Donna Summer, Bardo Pond, etc etc.

The AMR electronics are certainly very well built and look the part, but far too big for my taste of course. I can see the market they're aimed at. General opinion seemed to be that the speakers are not quite ready. Stars of the day were Dev's Tannoy SRM monitors, which I think everyone liked.

Thanks to Dev and family for the hospitality, as usual.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Nov 19, 2006
  2. Dev

RobHolt Moderator

A very enjoyable day catching up with friends and eating Dev's wonderful food :)

It was good to see Thorsten and get a better chance to hear the AMR kit.

I'd echo the thoughts of others in that the electronics were excellent but the speakers need more work. I could clearly hear a hole in the frequency response right in crossover region which made everything sound shut-in and lacking presense.
    They were prototypes though and Thorsten is working on different corossovers. Brave of him to ask for comments at this stage.

The baby Tannoys were clearer much better and stole the show.

RobHolt, Nov 19, 2006
  3. Dev

Dev Moderator

Baby Tannoys? I suppose size IS relative:D.

BTW, guys, I grounded the signal ground to the chassis on the gainclone as you suggested and it got rid of the "vibration" in the pre. Many Thanks.

Dev, Nov 19, 2006
  4. Dev

GAZZ

Shame you live so far away Dev looked like you all had a good day

GAZZ, Nov 19, 2006
  5. Dev

RobHolt Moderator

Splendid.

I'll have a look for that knob screw later.

RobHolt, Nov 19, 2006
  6. Dev

Markus S Trade

Were Thorsten's speakers wired in phase?

Markus S, Nov 19, 2006
  7. Dev

Dev Moderator

We have to assume so Markus, because they sounded in phase. I know that's not saying a lot:).

I hope Thorsten sees your post and explains it properly but the speaker cables came pre-terminated with strange plugs (for me, others may be more familiar) which cannot be plugged in the wrong way around. So, unless the plug (there was only one for each speaker) was incorrectly terminated, I'd have to say they were connected in phase.

Dev, Nov 19, 2006
  8. Dev

RobHolt Moderator

Hmm, I guess the tweeter and mid/bass could have been out of phase which would explain the hole in the response but the speakers didn't sound 'phasey' in any way if you moved listening position which is often a sure sign of such phase problems. Possible though.
    In terms of timing they were rather good with lots of foot tapping going on and I'm sure with some work on the Xover they will be excellent speakers.

RobHolt, Nov 19, 2006
  9. Dev

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I'm sorry I couldnt make it Dev.

Ended up stuck in traffic in central london making a 2 hour return journey SEVEN!! hours long...

a samosa and a bit of music would have been very nice! :D

So are you going to be keeping the Tannoy Monitors in the lounge instead?

Personally I think you should twist your missus arm until she lets you have the GRF's in the PFM classifieds... they are SO you...

bottleneck, Nov 19, 2006
  10. Dev

Tenson Moderator

Yup thanks for the afternoon Dev. The smaller Tannoy's did sound the best of all of the speakers there to be honest. They just sounded 'right' even if they were not the most detailed or extended.

It was nice to meet you guys again, its a pity Julian had to go early though.

Ian, that CD I said you might like is ‘Pusherman – Floored’. If you want, I can send it to you as I don’t listen to it really.

I also went on to listen to a system with Rob that comprised of all Naim electronics and late model SBL speakers. They actually sounded surprisingly good. There was none of the harsh treble I have heard from most other Naim set-ups. There was lots of treble for sure, but it was not harsh and rather enjoyable if a little tiring.

Tenson, Nov 19, 2006
  11. Dev

zanash

Damn ...damn damn

You lot really are making me regret not being able to get now !

zanash, Nov 20, 2006
  12. Dev

Baudrillard

Me too, would like to have gone but in the middle of flat hunting. When's the next one? :D

Baudrillard, Nov 20, 2006
Ask a Question