Approachable horns?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Coda II, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Coda II

Tenson Moderator

I have a break-down in terms of the fundamental of each instrument, but not including the harmonics I'm afraid. It would get even more complex than you might imagine as some instruments like the piano have non-harmonically related overtones.

By the way, I am about to post an updated crossover for my coax speakers in the DIY section and I will comment on the baffle-step vs. power response issue a little.

Tenson, Jun 13, 2007
  2. Coda II

Coda II getting there slowly

Good stuff Martin - that first article especially.

Just to cherry pick a few points, make gross generalisations and bend them to fit what we might have heard:

Piano has very few harmonics (but lots of partials)

Trumpet, oboe and violin lots of harmonics - many of almost equal level to the fundamental.

[large dose of hindsight]
    what were the three instruments that I commented on as sounding particularly smoothed out and the one I thought particularly forward?
    [/large dose of hindsight]

Back to voice types, which this article doesn't address:

for me Christine Schäfer (light, 'pure toned' soprano) came off far less well than Karita Mattila (lyric dramatic soprano) who sounded amazing.

Coda II, Jun 14, 2007
  3. Coda II

hifi addict

Aparrently the Gem audio loudspeakers using the Fostex drive unit is very good. They look very nice and could have the WAF. I haven't heard them myself yet but had some good reports. Alium Audio bring them in.

hifi addict, Jun 15, 2007
  4. Coda II

Coda II getting there slowly

that'll be Gemme audio then...?

gemmeAudio

and very nice they look too, site is worth a read (with horny pics)

wonder how they sound

Coda II, Jun 18, 2007
  5. Coda II

hifi addict

Opps sorry for the type O it was late.

Apparently, they gave out loads of bass to the extent it was causing problems in their room. But I think they have potential. Paul messenger is listening to them at the moment. He gave me call to come over and have a listen.

I'll try and get over to him on Friday thn report back.

The other horns I saw at the Munich show was the Consonance horns. I quite like them. I'm interested in having a serious listen to them.
    [​IMG]

hifi addict, Jun 18, 2007
Ask a Question