ATC SCM50 measured performance vs. high quality studio monitors

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by 3DSonics, Aug 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3DSonics

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

looks like the system 15's have a street value of about £1,300 (if I've found the right one).

Bargain!

http://www.instrumentpro.co.uk/P-TANSYSTEM15DMTII?source=froogle

bottleneck, Aug 22, 2005
  2. 3DSonics

dominicT former member

Bub grow up. I have half of the data that you guys need to discuss this more fully, I am just waiting on compression and distortion data. Surprising what you can get your hands on in the trade. Should be with you all in the morning.

dominicT, Aug 22, 2005
  3. 3DSonics

anon_bb Honey Badger

What would you rate as being better but still in the monitor line? PMCs do need triamping with something meaty. They sound a bit bland else. Certainly going active or room and time alignment will make a big difference.

I have heard the beauhorns at Walrus (shaped like the number 2?) - not my cup of tea but I guess you have different tastes as reflected by the choice of valves. Each to their own.

anon_bb, Aug 22, 2005
  4. 3DSonics

The Devil IHTFP

What, grow up & end up like you lot? No thanks.

Can't wait for tomorrow's data.

The Devil, Aug 22, 2005
  5. 3DSonics

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

See the list below.... I would recommend any funloving 15" tannoy Coax and/or Urei's with 15", preferably activated with a digital XO including EQ, Time alignment etc (or if you don't want the hassle to set this up buy K+H O500, has all the DSP including auto room correction on board, but is a little down on realism to a well sorted big coax), MEG RL-900/901/901K (there was recently an early pair of 900A's on E-Bay.de, sadly pushed quickly outside my range).

I don't much care for them. I'm talking about the old ugly front & rear horn loaded Virtuoso. See here:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1000/beauhorn.htm

The B2 sounds a lot like a "me to" and mini-me next to these. I do feel that Eric Thomas does himself a dis-service by demoing them without active sub and supertweeters. In the 100Hz-10KHz these are among the absolute best I have ever heard, but below and above that they loose it quickly.

With a pair of Visaton Subs or a pair of Rel Strata's the bass goes down well enough to allow a seamless match and a nice supertweeter just adds a the right amount of air and defintion on cymbals etc. to turn "great midrange, no low bass, soso and subdued treble" into "WOW".

Anyway, that's my take.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Aug 22, 2005
  6. 3DSonics

The Devil IHTFP

The problem which ATC present to you nerds, is that they remove the opportunity for you to piddle about trying all sorts of different power amplifiers and speaker cables for them.

And anyone who thinks valve amplifiers have any possible use other than to make their manufacturers & distributors big bucks, is a fruitbasket short of an orchard.

The Devil, Aug 22, 2005
  7. 3DSonics

anon_bb Honey Badger

Would any of those monitors be suitable for domestic use a la atc or pmc? I have always had a soft spot for tannoy. I see the "dreadnought 2" is being sold on ebay for £15k. Did you ever take a look at it?

I didnt think the Beauhorns I heard had any more midrange ability than the mb2s - though that may have been due to the amps. Some sort of OTL design - cant remember which, but it just sounded a bit bland.

What about something like avantgarde duos? Whats your opinion on them?

I plan to go to active crossover when I get my own place... room treatment etc. Plus custom built amps to replace the brystons.

anon_bb, Aug 22, 2005
  8. 3DSonics

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Hey James, I've at least 3 clients thats use power leads (After market) that no swear they can hear bass from them.I did have to check for myself, but they were being truthful.

wadia-miester, Aug 22, 2005
  9. 3DSonics

dominicT former member

The data will tell you all you need to know, including manufacturers recommended siting instructions that funnily enough include placing them on mana; ok I was kidding about the last bit.

dominicT, Aug 22, 2005
  10. 3DSonics

anon_bb Honey Badger

Which funnily enough raise the atc just as the pro stands do!

anon_bb, Aug 22, 2005
  11. 3DSonics

The Devil IHTFP

I already know all I need to know. I think I have different interests from the average Zerogain poster, represented upon this thread.

If you are trying to 'prove' to me that my speakers are crap, then you will fail, because all I need to do to prove you wrong is to play some music.

And Hi-Fi experts don't impress me - their hearing is exactly the same as anyone else's.

The Devil, Aug 22, 2005
  12. 3DSonics

dominicT former member

I am not trying to prove to you that your speakers are crap. You continue to profess that they are the best speakers available that you naim is the best ever that mana cures cancer etc and you have asked for data proving the contrary. I am actually getting data that was produced by ATC. This data that i have seen and will post tomorrow, so far, clearly shows that they are not the most accurate, as you seem to keep ramming down our throats. maybe you might just be a little more objective after this? Yeah right..... oh look flying pigs....lets see

dominicT, Aug 22, 2005
  13. 3DSonics

hifikrazy

No one's hearing is exactly the same as anyone elses. Quite the opposite.

hifikrazy, Aug 22, 2005
  14. 3DSonics

mr cat Member of the month

now, now - we all know the doc is never wrong...

mr cat, Aug 22, 2005
  15. 3DSonics

The Devil IHTFP

I have never actually said that. You are seeing what you want to see. What I've said is that they are the best I've heard, and I've heard a lot of very highly-regarded loudspeakers.

The Devil, Aug 22, 2005
  16. 3DSonics

The Devil IHTFP

Rubbish, unless hearing has been damaged in some way.

The Devil, Aug 22, 2005
  17. 3DSonics

anon_bb Honey Badger

Yup bub and I am betting my ears will bleed. Let me know when I can come and take the (ear) acid test.

You dont have all the answers - refusing to listen to others opinions is not the same.

Nobody is saying your speakers are crap they are just discussing the atc limitations - which all speakers have. But you defensively interpret that as saying they are crap.

Not everything you have bought is peerless in every respect. Be realistic!

anon_bb, Aug 22, 2005
  18. 3DSonics

hifikrazy

Its not rubbish mate. EVERYONES hearing is different from birth (even before you factor in environment. Next youll be telling us all our todgers are the same length.). Sorry but thats the FACTS. Only an idiot would argue otherwise.

Well are you?

hifikrazy, Aug 22, 2005
  19. 3DSonics

The Devil IHTFP

Well, I know of one system which is allegedly even better than mine. I have not heard that system, but the CD player alone cost more than my entire system, so I'm not too bothered.

PM me dates when you can come and we will sort out a suitable weekend.

The Devil, Aug 22, 2005
  20. 3DSonics

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

Yes, looked at the "new" Dreadnaught, the 15DMT or 215DMT are just dandy for home use, AS LONG as you and your SO can put up with the extremely utilitarian appearance (flat black monolith).

If you heard the BBC 2 sign then I am not surprised.

I kinda love/hate them. They are VERY difficult to get set-up right, simply due to physical size and distance between drivers, you really need the Trio before the subwoofer blending becomes seamless (I like the Solo very well though) and suddenly expense is huge, setup complex and so on. I wish I could afford a place to put a pair of trios and a pair of these, or more likely I'd do my own design based on BDesigns Oris.

Certainly a good way to go. Consider trying different HF units though (really easy if you use them fully active) and consider applying dispersion control at the speaker, rather than treating the room, might be less hassle for greater sonic return....

Ciao T

3DSonics, Aug 22, 2005
Ask a Question