ATC studio monitors

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by wadia-miester, Apr 28, 2005.

1. wadia-miester

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

[​IMG]

Merlin VSM millenium

A must-hear contender for anyone after studio type resolution.

Good arent they WM!

bottleneck, Apr 29, 2005
  2. wadia-miester

The Devil IHTFP

You never really got over your in-car audio days, Tony.

The Devil, Apr 29, 2005
  3. wadia-miester

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Yes Chris, not too shabby. and sound far better than the ATC's though a decent front end pays serious dividends with these.
    James, the same old replies, can you not think of anything else to retort with. You are just so disappointing these days :(

wadia-miester, Apr 29, 2005
  4. wadia-miester

The Devil IHTFP

You have the same old incorrect opinions.

And the same old condescending approach to equipment reviews, viz:

"the such-and-such is pretty fair, but you can do much better for less money"

Without ever saying what it is that supposedly does much better.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2005
    The Devil, Apr 29, 2005
  5. wadia-miester

Tenson Moderator

He just said the Merlins do better? :rolleyes:

From what someone tells me though, they are shite!

I think when reading what other people think of equipment on a forum like this it is important to note what other sort of stuff they like. Personally I don't much like big horns though a lot of you on here seem to.. I just take no notice of your opinions on speakers if you do ;) ..no offence!

3D, I meant how much do the Meyer, MEG and so on cost?

Tenson, Apr 29, 2005
  6. wadia-miester

analoguekid Planet Rush

James just noticed your reply to "awsome", when will you let it drop, will you please refrain from quoting me further, given our past history and our innability to debate sensibly with each other, i consider this baiting, as you are trying to provoke a response.

I have refrained from discussing you or your equipment, (my refernce to ATC in this thread was ATC50 anniversaries, you have another model IIRC)I only ask that you reciprocate. Our opinions of any equipment are just that, Opinions, and are just as pertinent as your opinions, disagreeing with you does not make us trolls.

James for the sake of others lets just ignore each other. Please :)

analoguekid, Apr 29, 2005
  7. wadia-miester

Joe

I think it's important to note that it's your money that being spent and your ears that are going to have to listen to whatever you purchase. Other peoples' views are fine as a way of narrowing down the possibilities, but having heard some peoples' idea of what constitutes a 'great system' I take such views with huge pieces of rock salt.

It's like I said; the views of an expert in malt whisky are of no use to someone who can't stand the taste!

Joe, Apr 29, 2005
  8. wadia-miester

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Definately.

Also important to test our own prejudices on a regular basis, and to see benefits as well as faults in products that dont appeal.

nb thats not a 'troll' or whatever, it applies to me too!

bottleneck, Apr 29, 2005
  9. wadia-miester

Andrew B.

I don't think this is really going anywhere.

The fact is that ATCs are obviously not as bad as 3D bloke likes to think since far finer pairs of ears than his or mine use them for the most critical of audio tasks - mastering. Excellent example would be James Guthrie on the DSOTM SACD remaster.

The penetration of JBL monitors into suburban studios is not strictly relevant but I expect they do make some decent speakers too and these may even be used in some mastering facilities.

There is more than one type of great speaker - but ATCs are great speakers.

nuff said

Andrew

Andrew B., Apr 29, 2005
  10. wadia-miester

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

Meyer Sound X-10 are $US 30,000 the pair last I know, thus directly competetive with the ATC SCM 150 ASL on price, even though their performance is well above and beyond the biggest ATC's on all counts (ATC SCM 300ASL is rated at 121db/1m max, Meyer Sound X-10 manages 136db/1m no sweat!).

The ME Geithain RL-901K which is in terms of Max SPL comparable to the ATC SCM 150 ASL retails in the at around £ 7,000 the pair here: http://www.firstsense.co.uk/meGeithain.htm.

The K+H O500C are competetive with the MEG IIRC, I have no current UK/US price at hand, go an look.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Apr 29, 2005
  11. wadia-miester

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

I do not remeber at all suggesting they where bad.

I think they are okay implementation of generic speaker technology with adequate peformance (and excessive pricetags it must be said) and little to recommend especially over others.

I took exceptions to claims that they presented "the most accurate monitors available" (which they are clearly and obviously not) and from there on the ATC faction insisted that I was wrong and their toys where the absolute best, demanding proof why they where not. I duely commented what failings they had (reflex tuned LF, lack of time alignment, poor dispersion control and at bets average compression and distortion).

Indeed. You realise that that remaster is pretty awful, compared to the original.

In your opinion, in mine they are average.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Apr 29, 2005
  12. wadia-miester

The Devil IHTFP

Not in the least. Just setting the record straight, in that I think that your on-line "opinion" about ATCs is nothing more than a childish tit-for-tat on your part, because I gave you some advice about your bass issues - which I see you have attempted to rectify with your granite speaker stands. I wish you well.

So the Meyers deafen you faster? Big deal!

The Devil, Apr 29, 2005
  13. wadia-miester

Joe

Of course. And it's always worth remembering that manufacturers product ranges can change (for better or for worse) so blanket statements of approval/disapproval may well be based on out of date information.

Joe, Apr 29, 2005
  14. wadia-miester

Dev Moderator

Guys,

Before this gets really ugly and we are forced to lock the thread, I'd like to point out that 3D is not condemning ATC in any/every form (as far as I understand). He's merely comparing some to other equally or more expensive STUDIO MONITORS and finds them wanting. That is his choice, he has also commented on ATC's choice of technologies and again he prefers others. So what? If you like ATCs, why do you feel the need to defend them, just enjoy them. I like (large) Tannoys and JBLs but I don't constantly tell others how excellent they are. So, can we please keep it in perspective. Many thanks.

Carry on debating, please:)

Dev, Apr 29, 2005
  15. wadia-miester

The Devil IHTFP

What a load of opinions! But zero proof. After all these pages, we have got the message that the ATCs which you heard didn't hit the spot for you. Bad luck.

OTOH, set-up properly, with good sources in a sympathetic room, they are unbeatable in my experience.

The Devil, Apr 29, 2005
  16. wadia-miester

Dev Moderator

Bub, FWIW, you are also expressing only your opinions.

Dev, Apr 29, 2005
  17. wadia-miester

wolfgang

:rds2:

I have to read the whole thread and I don't see any mentioned of KABLES nor MAMA? I am confused.

wolfgang, Apr 29, 2005
  18. wadia-miester

analoguekid Planet Rush

James the Granite was a bad idea, they sound best on the floor. Incidentally and not baiting here, one of the reviews posted in this thread, suggested that sofit fitting 150s lowered their in room response to 10hz lower than floor mounting, maybe thats why I thought they were bassy, when others suggested otherwise.

analoguekid, Apr 29, 2005
  19. wadia-miester

The Devil IHTFP

"Bub, FWIW, you are also expressing only your opinions."

That's what we are all doing. but Mr 3DSonics (cool name!) appears to think that his condescending opinions carry more weight because he's in the industry. They don't.

Hi AK. I have bass response down to around 25Hz, which is fine for me, if not for everyone. It sounds pretty even on the sweep, although there are a couple of minor resonances in the bass region.

I like 'em, anyway. I'm not baiting either, but you should try to stop your bass going thru your floor if poss.

Regards,

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2005
    The Devil, Apr 29, 2005
  20. wadia-miester

Dev Moderator

Hopefully, being in the industry means that he's heard a lot more kit and of bigger variety than we have. In any case it all boils down to a matter of personal choice. IMO of course:).

Dev, Apr 29, 2005
Ask a Question