Bake-off re-visited - Tue 6th December

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by rsand, Nov 29, 2005.

1. rsand

jtc

WM, enough people have found it to better the Au24 to make me suspect it's all down to the amp:cable:speaker equation - and therefore definitely worth a go at this price. I needed 5m runs, which came to around £100 all-in. What with a money back guarantee (though returns at your own expense) it's, as you say, a no brainer.

jtc, Nov 30, 2005
  2. rsand

jtc

Update: sorry to kinda hijack this topic, but my Anti-Cables have just turned up (I'd given up on them turning up today, so this is an added plus) so I'll report back once I've had a chance to do some listening.

"New Toy For John" :D :D :D

jtc, Nov 30, 2005
  3. rsand

Fen Dancer Two left feet

Don't forget the piccies!

Fen Dancer, Nov 30, 2005
  4. rsand

rsand I can't feel my toes

:D

rsand, Nov 30, 2005
  5. rsand

lordsummit moderate mod

I'll be there, will bring some tunes.

lordsummit, Nov 30, 2005
  6. rsand

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

I would like to pop along if there is room. I can bring the odd cd or two.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Nov 30, 2005
  7. rsand

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I was hoping you were going to say that :D

Chris1968 hasn't been hanging around the forum much, but I'll give him a call to see if he wants to come along too.

I-S, Dec 1, 2005
  8. rsand

tones compulsive cantater

I am a complete cable unbeliever and it is not my intention to start a cable war (there are enough of those elsewhere), but I'd just like to point out that the explanation given on the website:

We believe the Anti-Cables are sonically transparent and neutral because they virtually eliminate the most common sources that give speaker cable their sonic signature, the plastic dielectric material. Beyond the extremely thin red coating, there is nothing left but air, and air is a near ideal insulation dielectric because it causes virtually no dielectric effect! Air is also why break-in time is almost non-existent with the Anti-Cables. This is because "break-in" is actually the bad sounding plastic dielectric material, which simply sounds less bad with time. Since the Anti-Cables have almost no dielectric material, there is almost no "break-in". If you have ever experienced a typical speaker cable breaking-in, you understand how much the dielectric material affects the sound. Again, it gets better with time, but the dielectric effect will never fully go away (unless you simply remove it, like the Anti-Cables).

is nonsense. It's exactly analogous to the cable vendors' use of the skin effect - one takes a known physical phenomenon which does occur, but under very different circumstances, and one extrapolates it to circumstances where it occurs either not at all or to a negligible degree. Regardless of how the cables sound (and that's an individual thing), the deliberate distortion of fact makes this vendor highly suspicious, and one from which I would never buy (yes, yes, I know, I would never buy from ANY of them...).

Over and out (and I hope you like them).

tones, Dec 1, 2005
  9. rsand

jtc

Hey, it may well be a nonesense explanation, but so great is the improvement these wires make I doubt anyone could remain cable skeptic. I don't know enough about electronics and signal transmissions to have an opinion over the statement's validity, but they could claim black=white and it wouldn't change the obvious fact that they do indeed work fabulously well. A bit of a hassle to work with at longer lengths due to its inflexibility, but for the money it's a no-brainer. Tones, you should suspend your cable disbelief and order a short pair just to try. $10 per foot pair, terminated. I mean, that's pretty damn cheap - you could afford to risk $40 or so, surely?

jtc, Dec 1, 2005
  10. rsand

jtc

PS. No, I'm not on here 24/7 - I'm just on briefly before I go to feed the livestock (aka pets).

PPS. Wouldn't you be better posting your thoughts on the matter to my 'Initial Impressions' thread?

jtc, Dec 1, 2005
  11. rsand

No. Been there, done that with sooooo many things that promised the earth and delivered nothing that, as far as I'm concerned, it simply isn't worth one cent more, never mind $40. $40 will buy me nearly two more volumes of Gardiner's SDG cantatas (you can see where my priorities lie). But as long as you hear a difference and enjoy the results, that's all that matters. Your ears are the only ones you have to satisfy.

tones, Dec 1, 2005
  12. rsand

jtc

Fair enough, you are welcome to keep your head in the sand :p (kidding)

Actually, I feel we owe it to ourselves to get the best out of our systems - and last night's conclusion was that by using ordinary cables we are likely throwing a significant chunk of our music away. So, to reclaim that chunk, $40 is but a small price to pay...

John

jtc, Dec 1, 2005
  13. rsand

[​IMG]

Agreed, but I've done that, and with non-exotic wires.

P.S. Mine cost 13 Euro for 10 metres.

tones, Dec 1, 2005
  14. rsand

It will be good to see you again Dean.

So far then -

1) Rsand - Rob
    2) Zanash - Peter
    3) Isaac
    4) Lodsummit - Richard
    5) ChrisPa
    6) SCIDB - Dean

rsand, Dec 1, 2005
  15. rsand

lordsummit moderate mod

By the way do you do those big black compact disc things Rob, or am I going to rifle the little silver ones?

lordsummit, Dec 1, 2005
  16. rsand

I have no TT :( its something I fancy trying at some stage, I still have some vinyl from years ago that would be fun to listen to, just not sure its worth spending ££'s to listen to it?

rsand, Dec 1, 2005
  17. rsand

jtc

Ah, but me suspecta you no get best from system with da wires non exotic.

jtc, Dec 1, 2005
  18. rsand

There we beg to differ. But who cares?

tones, Dec 1, 2005
  19. rsand

ChrisPa

That means there'll no time available for listening to kit... whole evening spent listening to Deans CD's :D (and I can't think of a better way to spend an evening)

I could bring a spare TT ... not showing vinyl at its best but readily transportable, although...
    - I'll have to work out what to bring as a phono stage
    - It would either be my rega planar 2 or a thorens TD160/Basik, so nothing extravagent
    - do we have time for this as well?

Isaac

Find out if Chris1968 is coming too and I'll arrange a mutual pick up time with you

Tones

Way off topic - as jtc said, his cables are in another thread

Chris

ChrisPa, Dec 1, 2005
  20. rsand

No surprise there then :rolleyes:

Chris
    I want to do the cables first as this gives us time to digest the data and discuss our findings during the break, I want to avoid any discussion during the testing as it would void the results, and Zanash has gone to a lot of trouble on this one.

After that no one is planing to bring anything but music, so I would guess we have time for a TT so long as its not too much hassle for you to bring it?

I love the way Dean says 'a few cd's' I too am looking forward to that.

rsand, Dec 1, 2005
Ask a Question